built the byoc delay.....

teefus

very nice. i am pleased with the kit and the results. the delay has a nice sound to it, similar to the sib mr echo that i just sold. pretty easy to put together. hell, the hardest thing to do was to decide on how to paint the box. i went for a distressed look, see photo.
[/IMG]

teefus

the repeats lose clarity as they go. it does sound very "analog". true bypass, pretty well thought out, can't go wrong for $75. i have used quite few delays over the years. this one sounds better than most. much better than the guyatone md-2 and md-3 and pretty on par with the mr echo and korg 301dl (a real sleeper of a pedal if you can find a working one).

gkelm

Silver Supporting Member
Cool ped...looks great. :) I've heard about these, appreciate the post.
Greg

Cool build, and you're right about the Korg 301dl; it's a great pedal if you're a tinkerer. If you're a set-and-forget type, then the 8(!) knobs might be a bit much. Sold mine for that reason.

Originally posted by teefus
the repeats lose clarity as they go. it does sound very "analog". true bypass, pretty well thought out, can't go wrong for $75. i have used quite few delays over the years. this one sounds better than most. much better than the guyatone md-2 and md-3 and pretty on par with the mr echo and korg 301dl (a real sleeper of a pedal if you can find a working one).

exodus

Originally posted by teefus
Interesting. How's the build quality?

:D

teefus

Originally posted by exodus
Interesting. How's the build quality?

it's very good, imho. the board is double sided and plated through the component holes. the pots in the delay kit were the smaller sized ones but i didn't expect anything different given the size of the box. jacks were switchcraft, iirc. the footswitch is the standard true bypass one and the dc jack seemed standard too. i wouldn't say they cut corners on part quality.

MrSage

Keith has all top-notch stuff.

The pots are 16mm alphas...same ones a lot of boutiquers use. The boards are through-hole plated, solder masked, and have the components printed on them. All the caps and resistors are pretty standard...same as you'd get a mouser or smallbear. And the ICs and trannies vary (but each kit tells you what is included). Lots of NOS and high-quality bits.

Here's mine:

www.voxblues.com/projects/#byocdelay

fuzzyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
man the deluxe phaser is really calling me!

how did you guys do those cool paint jobs

can you link me up to something like

effects box painting for dummies?

thanks

If i could paint a cool box i just might spring for the phaser to tinker on!

Seegs

Tonally....when in front of your amp how does it sound with OD/distortioin in front of it...does it hold together or mush out...hows the headroom??

Chow,
Seegs

Bob Sweet

I built the delay also, so I could evaluate that chip. And although I think the trace layout could be neater, I think his kits are a great value and sound VERY good for the money. The box was drilled really nice and all the parts were there and of good quality. I was so impressed I ordered the Tremolo and the 808 or TS-9 boards to mess with when I get the time. I think Keith's kits are big on bang for the buck, and some of the best buys out there.

Antero

Dude, the clips with the effects loop sound AWESOME. I'm digging the flitered delay.

Damn, that's cool. How much extra did the effects loop run ye?

MrSage

Originally posted by Antero
Dude, the clips with the effects loop sound AWESOME. I'm digging the flitered delay.

Damn, that's cool. How much extra did the effects loop run ye?
I'm not quite sure...

I used parts I had laying around.

Off the top of my head, I needed a new switch, two new jacks, a new LED, and a bigger enclosure...I think that's about it.

Probably $15 or so worth of parts from www.effectsconnection.com

teefus

i haven't used the byoc delay pedal with a dist box in front of it. i have only used it in front of my valvetech hayseed custom (doesn't need a dist box). it sounds great in front of an amp, clean or dirty. the short, slapback is nice and the longer, u2 delays are great too. nice high end roll off as the repeats go out. with the repeats all the way up you get that runaway, scary thing. fun.

teefus

Originally posted by reachjkh
Have you built this one yet? Is it quiet?
it should be here monday. i am out on location all next week and it probably won't be finished until the week after. i'll post when it's done.

Trending Topics