Bumbox Lead 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LowWatt, Jun 24, 2008.

1. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I've got one coming in a trade right now. I wanted a modern take on a 50w Plexi head and this seems to be a good one.

The thing is, I really know little about it other than enough to know it is a good deal in this trade and that it is in the ballpark of what I am after.

Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about Bumbox build quality and/or the Lead 50? I see plenty here on the Lead 1, but not much else.

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I have one of Nate's first prototypes of the Lead 50. Mine was origianally a Cielo at 30 watts, but I needed more headroom so he made it 50 watts. I love this amp, and to this day I still use it as my main amp. The master volume is very usable and this amp cuts through most anything. Before I bought this amp, I was using a Plexi reissue, and once I heard the Lead 50, I immediately sold my Marshall. I've bought other amps to compare to it, like a Super Reverb and a Traynor Bassmaster, but neither delivered in the same ways that the Bumbox did. It has all the balls of a Marshall, but it has a lot of those little subtleties (sp?) that my favorite Fender amps have.

The build quality is great. Nate uses huge transformers in his amps, which in my opinion is what give them such a huge sound. I paired mine with an Eminence Big Ben 15' and it thumps like no other amp I've owned. I always wished these amps caught on with people like the lead 1's did, but I guess there are so many 50 watt el 34 heads out there that it is hard to stand out sometimes.

If you have any questions, PM me. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

3. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Definitely good stuff to hear.

Did you use it for the recordings on your myspace page? There are some great guitar tones there.

4. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Actually yes I did, its the only amp I ever use for anything anymore. for that ep I used just that and a tube screamer. Love that amp!

5. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I had the Cielo at one time and the build and sound was of great quality. Traded it awhile back. Wish I had it still but we all know how that goes......