Bumpy D string

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dave, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Dave

Dave Member

My D string has a raised bump above each fret. Just the D string. Weird. Anyone else ever experience this? The strings are GHS. They have only been on the guitar for about a week and they sound fine.

2. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

i had this problem on my acoustic. the wound G string. you're just wearing out it out. it's kind of cool, and it kind of sucks, but your fretting hand is to aggressive. lay of the SRV bends and you'll be fine. :) or buy a bulk load of D strings. that's what i had to do with my G's.

3. whattheadam

whattheadam Member

Basically, you're just fretting overly hard. They can do that when your fret wire is too tall and you push more than needed to make the note sound. You should probably get your frets crowned at a lower height or move up your string gauge to something a little thicker.

4. Dave

Dave Member

Hmm, I actually play with a pretty light touch. It's odd that it's only the D string. I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and never had this happen.

5. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

I just had my Martin 000 do this, never had it happen or ever heard of it happening. This was last week I noticed.

6. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Typical of pure nickel wound strings. No big deal, you don't have to be fretting too hard.. they're fairly soft.. and it just shows you been playing allot.. time to change them. I change mine about every week or two cause of this.

Its prob always happened you just never noticed as bad. Pure Nickel strings are soft and have a great warm tone... and it's better than your frets wearing down.

7. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well, I've had problems with frets causing kinks in strings early in a string's life w/ DR Pure Blues, never with any other pure nickel string.

8. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I would guess Nickel strings vary quite a bit prob with nickel content and type of wind. Plus there's a difference between nickel plated and pure nickel. DR Pure Blues are obviously pure nickel and soft... what are the strings you see not doing this? Could they be nickel plated steel?

9. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

I've had same problem with the Pure Blues. Sometimes it happens on the same day that I put brand new strings on if I play a lot at once. One time it was to the point that the wounding broke so that I could move it back and forth on the string and some of my frets weren't playing the right note. I guess it might just be a problem with DR Pure Blues?

10. chervokas

chervokas Member

No, Pyramid Nickel classics for example, never had the problem, Thomastik Infeld Jazz flats, which are also pure nickel, never had the problem. I only play pure nickel, never NPS. Kinking at the frets is not an inherent problem with pure nickel wound strings per se.

I stopped using DR Pure Blues, despite quite liking the feel of the them, because not only did I find the tone a little muddy and ill defined compared to something like the Pyramid Nickel Classics, but also I had problems like the kinking at the frets on even nearly brand new strings, or difficulty with getting great intonation and tuning stability with them.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  11. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

Your D isn't fouling on the frets when the guitar is in the case is it? Is it quite a light gauge?

12. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

Just did a search looking for this issue. I realized only yesterday that the guitar I've been playing the most lately (strung with DR Pure Blues, 9-42) is so kinked in different places on different strings that I cut my finger. They're not brand new strings, but I've had others last much longer. Too bad I'm pretty stocked up on DRs. :huh