1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Burkey Flatliner/Pedal Power 2+

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trazan, May 19, 2006.

1. trazan

trazan Member

Admittedly, I don't really need the power of the Burkey...but I'm wondering about the sag options on these two.

I still recall the extremely pleasant sound I got from an OD pedal with a bad battery when I was young(er!). Don't even remember what pedal it was, but I'm gonna have to go through some to see what I can find. How is your experience with the sag outlets on the PP/Flatliner? The Flatliner can adjust both voltage and resistance, the PP only voltage. Do I need both?

The price is the same over here, so it's only because the Flatliner is so huge and heavy I'm considering the PP instead...

Does anyone use the Flatliner in a rack btw? Could such a powerful transformer cause problems being next to something like i.e. a Switchblade?

2. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I've added a PPII to my set up and like it. I use one sag for my wah. It adds more girth to it.

3. TBone

TBone Member

If you're looking for a power supply that will fit a rack space, you might consider the JuiceBox from Pedalgear.net. It has two V-bats for the battery sag feature, many more features and 3 times the power of the PP2+.

TBone

4. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I've owned both and the Flatliner is simply the best. You need both the resistance and the voltage knobs to emulate dying batteries the closest. The PP2 and PP2+ sag feature stinks IMHO. They also made my Teese Picture wah hum like crazy. Not so with the Burkey Flatliner. I can put my wah anywhere on my board, even right next to it and it won't hum.

5. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

That is wild. I am using my PPII and Teese or Fulltone wah without any issues at all. Actually my rig has never been so silent...

6. faizz

faizz Member

Here we go!

[​IMG]

In that rack case i have all the pedals and a Switchblade GL on bottom.
    NO noise, zero, niet, nada... :)

I'll take some better pics as soon as possible, now the signal/power wiring is done as well, i could explain something about how i've done it as well if needed.

Hope this helps,
    Faizz

7. trazan

trazan Member

I wouldn't mind that :) I'm still waiting for the switchblade to arrive, so I'll take all the info I can get in the mean time.

Damn, that Flatliner thing is huge. %¤$£#@! 2 Kg :messedup

8. faizz

faizz Member

What model of Switchblade have you bought, a balanced or unbalanced version?

Huge but working great, and full of options!

Later,
    Faizz

9. trazan

trazan Member

10. faizz

faizz Member

Great, balanced rulez :)

Now, the Flatliners eliminated most of the possible problema with induced hum, groundloops and hiss.
    Before installing them in rack, i've tested them with each pedal, making a/b comparison beetween batteries/flatliner. Of course there was no added noise of any type.

Then comes the Switchblade, that is - imho - one of the greatest piece of gear that someone could own. Got mine since many years and i've never been unhappy or unsatisfied with it.

With this new rig in particular i'm using the most out of it, and here come the balanced conenctions.
    My signsl flow is guitar -> wah -> buffer: then i balance the signal and go to the Switchblade, where all pedals and rack effects are connected. I go out balanced from the Switchblade as well, and convert the signal to unbalanced just before the amp input.
    All effects "sends" are wired withe special floating cable that you see in the SoundSculpture website: this further isolates effects and eliminates any problems with induced hum. Now, the transformer of the Switchblade is quite powerful, but it never got any problems, with only one exception: it's a bit odd to say, but the only piece of gear that was problematic with it was a Cornish Soft Sustain... ah, this cheap stuff... LOL
    Btw, the "special floating cable" got rid of the problem in a split second.

Also note that i've used Evidence Lyric cable for all the audio wiring, and that also power cables (both low and high voltage) are shielded.

Last but not least, every unit is isolated from each other, and power to the entire rig comes from a Furman AR-230.

That's it! Hope i didn't miss anything, feel free to ask if you need any further detail or got any questions.

Pics will come as soon as possible.

Doei!
    Faizz

11. trazan

trazan Member

You're using trs>ts with floating ground to all your stomp boxes? Errrr..I was hoping to get by with GeorgeL's for those :eek: You think I may end up in hum city with regular ts jacks for the stomps, even with the Burkey?

Yes, not having tried the Switchblade yet, it does seem like something I'll never sell :)

12. faizz

faizz Member

The Burkeys have no issues with noise: hum on he SS-2 was kept by the transformer of the Switchblade. The special cable got rid of that. As i told you, all other pedals and rack stuff gave no problems at all: i used the TRS-TS for all of them just to keep - say - the same way to do things.
    I'd say, try it what it works better with your setup: if you have no problems then there's no deed to fix anything: otherwise, hope that what i have done can help you in some way.
    Anyway, only effects inputs are feeded with the special cable, outputs return to Switchblade on normal TS>TS.
    If you go with GL cables, i would only suggest to use soldering plugs to improve reliability of connections. If a jack come loose (and this may happen) it can stop working, make crackles and noises, and also bring hum and RF into the system.

My .02,
    Faizz

13. panosy

panosy Member

Just got the Burkey Flatliner SIX, which is a very compact version of the original Flatliner.. It's SUPER compact and well built, till now sounds... well doesn't sound, like it shouldn't! :)
    great unit, I will post more when I give it some more time..