Burl finish guitars, what's the deal?

It's not cheap, and it's not traditional because it's the opposite of a good tone-wood for anything acoustic.

I'm a huge fan of the aesthetic, except that it indicates they are taking down old-growth trees, which I'm not happy about at all. It should be rare, cut down at sustainable rates (old-growth very gradually does continue coming into existence), and expensive.

Steadfastly

I find some of it not very appealing. Some of what we see sold as burl finish is not all the "burlly". True maple burl is very nice to my eyes. I prefer it with a natural finish rather than painting.

veinbuster

I like it.
CK_159BurlHollowbodyBodyAAA.JPG

Seems like they're been popping up everywhere. I can't stand the look of them, anyone of with me?

If you’re talking about burl photo tops and veneers, I agree. Actual burl tops though are my absolute favorite aesthetically…there is a tremendous amount of variation in burl (more so than other more common top woods), and I just love that.

Blame Jeff Kiesel.

This one’s my favorite, and yes you can blame Jeff for the killer deal on this one :):

31E1C639-F0D5-46A8-9A1D-5451DFDDE448.jpeg

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
They look like moldy bread to me. I'm glad they make some happy though.

I wouldn't own a relic'd guitar either.

mrav jon

They borrowed it from the luxury sport car industry, so now that became a classic kitsch.

You know why? It ads blink blink effect to guitar :cool:, i just wonder what sort of tone wood that sick tree is, attacked by virus/fungus.

62d630ea-bentley-openpore-walnut-04.jpg

mrav jon

Seems like they're been popping up everywhere. I can't stand the look of them, anyone of with me?
I agree it is to much, i'm sure that it came from the car industry and it's not 1st nor the last time that the guitar industry is borrowing something. Just in the sport cars they try to use HQ one without those rotten black holes, while in the guitar industry they representing that low quality burls as chic and cool.
I remember some really nice looking burl tops on Ibanez Artist guitars from the 80s.

I remember some of those, but it was HQ wood, dense without rotten holes, it's a lot difrent compared with what We see today.

Anyhow RR, Bentley etc, similar expensive cars use it for long time. Maybe it was used before in the future industry. I'm not sure who was the 1st, but i can bet that it came from there. Maybe some rock star saw it in his car and asked the guitar company to make him such guitar, i'm guessing that as a joke but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case ;)

1373w.jpg

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
Figured tops are not really my thing anymore, but I'll say I've seen nice examples of burl tops. It really matters what the aesthetic of the whole instrument is.

Moony

In Germany we call them "Hipster Guitars" if they have burl tops in fancy colors. :D

Be.eM

I agree it is to much, i'm sure that it came from the car industry and it's not 1st nor the last time that the guitar industry is borrowing something. Just in the sport cars they try to use HQ one without those rotten black holes, while in the guitar industry they representing that low quality burls as chic and cool.

[…]

1373w.jpg

Well, I had that one custom built for me some years ago, and I've ordered it this way because I love the beauty of the wood… and I love the beauty of this guitar :)

bm_gs7ta_burl_IMG_2597_small.jpg

Top Bottom