Burn In for amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

What do you do for burn in with a new amp? I have 2 new (to me) amps, one I'm sure has been played the heck out of which I'm not worried about. The other is semi-new (it was a refurb unit from Music123). Do you just turn it on and leave it on (standby off) for like 24 hours or something. Obviously I plan on playing it a lot too, but for instance right not my son is napping (although the MV works incredibly well on the amp). Or, do you just let it break itself in over time?

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I would just play it, if there's a problem with the amp it will show itself.

3. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Just play the hell out of it. Although you might want to use alternative methods for breaking in the speakers. I used my Ampeg V4 to break in the speaker of my new Lionheart.

4. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Run your iPod into it for a few days :D:D:D

5. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I've never burned in an amp. I just play them, and they'll get burned in during the process.

6. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Most amp builders do a burn in of 30-40 hours.

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Cool. This puppy gets pretty hot after a few hours anyway. There is some raspy-ness with the gain cranked out that I'm not really digging, but this is more of a clean machine for me anyway. Thinking about replacing the tubes but I'm waiting for the Celestion Blue to come in first.