Burned on JBL K120 w/voice coil rub - what are my options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jon Silberman, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Returning it is unfortunately not an option. So far I can think of:

(1) Hang it from the ceiling as a Jerry-spirit mobile.

(2) Sell it with full disclosure for a loss.

(3) Have it repaired/reconed, e.g., by this place that's gotten good reviews: http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=RECNEPRC , but at the same time, some people warn the recone kits available today are not the same as the old ones and it'll never quite sound the same.

What to do about this bummer?!

[​IMG]

2. cuttyshark

cuttyshark Member

Somewhat, depends on how much you're into it, already($).
    If (let's say)... $150... to throw another $145 (plus shipping), at it, is (for me), borderline.

3. smolder

smolder Silver Supporting Member

Try rotating it 90 degrees at a time in the cab. The gap is so narrow sometime gravity (seriously) can effect mitigate the noise. Old speaker can sag a bit, they can also shift with a tall drop off of a UPS/Fedex dock (yes, I've been there), and sometimes the little screen gets dislodged and dust or dirt can get in through the back. If after three turns you still hear the noise in each position, your likely looking at a re-cone.

FYI, I just sold two nearly dead E120's for $50 each. I could not justify asking any more for speakers that really needed a re-cone for any length of usage. All I could find were re-cone kits at $145... Working E's aren't worth that. The guy I sold them too knew what parts to buy and he was looking at $70-80 a piece.

PM me if you want to try a kit. My first time was very successful, with zero experience or help outside of youtube.

Dexter.Sinister likes this.
  4. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

The Weber site has a voice coil rub repair strategy. It sounds too tricky for me but it can be done.

hunter

From the Weber FAQ:

"The noise is definitely a rub, either from, as you suggested, a warped (from overheating) voice coil, or flakes of paper or other material stuck in the gap between the voice coil and pole or front plate hole. There is a way to correct that if it isn't too severe. I'll detail it here, then you can make the decision whether to try it or not. The result is that you correct the problem without reconing the speaker, thus preserving the value of the original speaker. First, since you will be performing this operation without demagnetizing the magnet, make sure your work area is very clean and you have plenty of light. Lay the speaker on its back with the cone facing up and with a scalpel, carefully cut out the dustcap, leaving about 1/16" of dustcap where it is glued to the cone. This is important because the voice coil wires pass through this point and you want to make sure you don't cut them. Next, use a vacuum cleaner or clean, dry pressurized air to suck or blow the dust and other debris out of the gap. If you hold the speaker upside down with the cone facing downward it will probably help getting the dust and debris out. Next, take a 3x5 index card and cut it into a strip that is the correct length so that you can form it into a circle and stick it down into the gap between the inside of the voice coil and the outside of the pole. This will help form the voice coil back into a circle. Next, lay the speaker back down on its back. Take a Q-tip or small paint brush and dip it into a bottle of acetone (finger nail polish remover). Spread a small amount of this acetone on a couple of the rings of the spider, which is the brownish/yellow corrugated disk attached to the backside of the cone at the base of the basket. Next, place a jar lid or other disk on the cone where the dustcap was and let the speaker set overnight. The lid or disk will prevent dust from getting into the gap overnight, and the acetone causes the spider to relax and reposition slightly, thus repositioning the voice coil. The next day, remove the lid and the index card strip and see if you still have a rub. If you do, try the acetone again, same procedure. If, after a couple of tries, it seems hopeless, then professional reconing is the only resolve."

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Member

Contact Edgewound (Ken) on this forum. He's the most knowledgeable guy on the planet when it comes to JBLs - just ask Harvery Gerst, the guy at JBL that designed the D and E series speakers.

If you decide to have them reconed, Ken can be reached here - http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/

6. Jon Silberman

You're the second person to recommend Upland, thanks.

7. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Most of us do not accept that 300$ is not a bad deal for a speaker like the K-120, a new one would cost more.

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Are you sure a K120 has THE sound for you, or was this an experiment?

If you know that it has it and that a recone will provide the right tone, or if you are willing to embrace the recone's sound, get it fixed.

If you know that you must a have an original K120, sell off the bones and hope for better luck next time.

9. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Jon, take it to the nearest authorized JBL facility and let them re-cone the darn thing. It will sound as good as a non-reconed one, and no one will know other than your credit card.

10. Jon Silberman

My main rig now uses 2 1X12 cabs. One already has a K120. The other has an E120. The latest K120 was intended to replace the E120. I'm OK for now, the E120 sounds great, I can use it indefinitely while I figure this out. Re: the rest of your post, I do NOT "know" that a recone will provide the right tone, that's half of why I started this thread!

11. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

He may not be doing any work now but you and I know an ace re coner right here (I think you know who I mean). Call or email him and see what he thinks.

12. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I agree with this person. Our local guy in VT Ezra Mulherin (MSR Sound) had done hundreds of JBL re-cones over the years (without any internet presence) and I would betcha after broken in , no one noticed 1 bit of difference. He's done some of mine for PA gear.. I've had K's and E's and D's. He's a total pro and we're 1 of the smallest States around (but with incredible musicians!) , so bigger States have to have quality options as well . The official JBL kit will cost a lot though , but there are aftermarket kits as well that will sound great. Good luck. Eric

13. smolder

Great advice five years ago... Without a USA built factory kit, what's the point. The last few years of production proved to be less than stellar. Now, you have after market parts to choose from.

14. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I have a blown K-120 as well. Thank goodness I still have another decent one, plus a few d120's and an e120. I think I may contact edgewound to fix my blown one.

15. zenas

zenas Member

I'll just throw this out there and be glad no one can hurt me with words. :)

If you have to recone and you're a cheap guy (like me) and you can put stuff together with out effin it up. Weber sells the parts needed to recone these.

They aren't "real" JBL parts whatever. I may be doing that with a gray frame D120F that has some splits in the cone. I'll try to repair fist though.

I figure if nothing sounds like the real JBL cone you can't get any way why spend much?

16. Jon Silberman

The (tie) died in the wool Deadheads speak poorly of the Weber kit.

17. wec

wec Member

If you do decide to sell it, I would be interested in buying it and have it reconed. Please keep me in mind.

18. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

If it were me - and it was me, a few years back - my advice is to find a suitable replacement for JBL speakers because they're not getting any easier to repair/replace. I pulled a K130 out of my Webb 614 and put a Telonics 15" Neo in there and I honestly don't hear much of a difference. They make a 12" speaker too (I have one in my Milkman Half and Half)... I haven't compared on side-by-side with a D120F or a K120, but I'd be willing to bet that it's close enough I'd be happy with cutting over. It's awfully freeing not to have to worry about what happens if one day that unobtanium tube or speaker is no longer available.

But, Upland is a great option if you really want to keep the JBLs anyway.

19. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

The Eminence EPS-15c is supposedly really close to a 130. Not really sure why no one has ever made a D-120 clone. Jensen, WGS, and Eminence all make 50+ watt alnico speakers.

20. smolder

Weber tried... doesn't really come close IMHO. Beyma makes an E clone. I wouldn't think an alnico version with the same spider/cone/dust cover would be a stretch. Rumors of Tone Tubby's new Purple Haze with a thinner hemp cone have it as an attempt to create a low watt version without the dust cover's harshness at low volume. But I haven't had the chance to hear one as they are fairly pricey.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015