Burriss Boostier, What a Great Boost!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 58lespaulman, Oct 16, 2005.

1. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Guys, I have ordered a lot of pedals latley, and have gotten lucky, because I just took delivery from Tonefactor.com of a brand new Burriss Boostier, and I just got a Durham Sexdrive pedal the other day.. I have been blown away by the Sexdrive, and have responded to a thread about the SD.. But now I have to say that the Burris Boostier is one of the best boost pedals I have played through, and it is so fun.. When you turn the drive up, you kind of get that BJF Honeybee thing going on.. If you hit the strings hard you get some dirt, and when you lay back on the attack, you get a nice clean SRV sound.. I have been playing it all day with a big smile on my face.. This pedal is the most transparent boost pedal to date that I've played.. I mean it doesn't change your tone at all when you kick it on. And when you turn up the Input (Gain) you get the JFET grit, but this grit is a sweet bluesy grit that is very nice and sweet.. WOW!! It also has the 9 to 18 volt power charge converter inside to give it more open headroom.. This clean boost sounds a lot like the clean boost on my Klon, but even more transparent.. But the grit is where it is at.. LOVE IT!!

2. Sebastian

Sebastian Supporting Member

Does the Boostier have detented pots? I had a Boostiest at one point and I really liked the boost side, so I've been thinking of getting a Boostier again. But then I read somewhere that it had detented pots, but I don't know if this was true.

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yes, but I like it.. This pedal has alot of sweet spots in it.. It's one of those pedals you just fiddle with for a second and you get your sound right away, and you leave it alone.. Yesterday I played it all day, and compaired it to my Sexdrive.. The Burriss is just a wonderful Boost pedal that doesn't change your sound, but it does sound better when you kick it on.. I really like the sound of the gain in this pedal also, it has the turned up amp breakup sound, and you can have this at bedroom volumes.. WOW I really do like this pedal alot..

4. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

I agree, the Boostiest is a killer pedal, I sold my Durham Sex Drive, Moocho Boosto, Menatone Red Snapper, and most of my other OD pedals when I got it. Oh by the way, the Boostier side is FET, not JFET.

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yeah what he said.. Do you know where to set the tone nob for a flat EQ? I think when the tone nob is all the way Counter Clockwise it is a flat EQ, and as you turn it clockwise it starts to dial out bass and add treble.. Am I right about this??

6. roknfnrol

The treble (highs) on the boostier side dials out the highs (counter-clockwise) when the input knob is increased (brings more highs into the mix on it's own with an increase in gain etc). It's not really dialing out bass, just cutting the highs that the input gain is adding, it just depends on where the input knobs is set since it correlates with the highs knob.

I suppose if the input and highs are at noon they are flat but it really depends on your amp and guitar, that's why the pedal is so killer, it doesn't necessarily act like a pedal, it just kinda blends in.

7. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I'll call Bob Burriss tomorrow and get the scoop.. Your right this pedal is the most transparent boost that just blends in to your amp.. But the thing I like the most is the Input Gain, it has the best grit amp breakup sound that I've ever heard.. It makes you sound like a Rock Star.. WHAT A GREAT PEDAL!! And your also right about it being so good that I've not turned my Sexdrive on since I've got the Boostier..

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

so does that mean you will be getting rid of your klon's and rc booster's :) i just ordered a boostiest off the emporium..... can't wait thanks guys for my first true case of g.a.s. btw right now i have a rc and ac booster, a tim and a hellbaby(discontinued they only had a few left) on the way, and a twin 60 (which i love)

9. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I always keep a RC around, but I did get rid of the Klon.. I haven't played through the RC in a while though.. It's either the Sexdrive, or the Boostier...

10. roknfnrol

Lately I've been using the Boostiest's overdrive side for a nice rhythm overdrive and then kicking on the 'Boostier' side to boost leads. It's awesome. Although back when I had a tweed Deluxe I only used the boost side because it was perfect for pushing the Deluxe into creamy territory. I sold a Way Huge Red Llama, when I first got my Boostiest, I don't miss it (I miss the money they bring these days though...).

11. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Is it high or low impedance? And can it overdrive my amp?

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I'm not sure what the difference is in inpedence, but it's able to have a strong signal go through it without it compressing, it works with all pedals no matter where it is in the chain.. The Sexdrive is the same way.. You can run the Boostier last in the chain, and it eats up all the pedals before it and spits it out with no problems..

13. roknfnrol

The boost side of the Boostiest is high impedence. You can put it at the beginning of the chain as a boost or at the end as a buffer etc... It will overdrive an amp if you want it to.

14. wopr

wopr Member

58: Have you used the boostier with anyother pedals at the same time. I am curious how the boost side of the boostier works with the Langraff DO.

thanks,

steve

15. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yes I have, I run the Red Snapper into the Boostier, and I also run the Sexdrive into the Boostier, you would not believe how good this sounds.. The Boostier reacts very well with other overdrive pedals.. I used to have the Landgraff DO, and I would imagin it would sound awsome with the boostier.. Most of the time I just use the Boostier, the Sexdrive, and the Red Snapper, and my Megavibe, and that all you will ever need..WOW!!

16. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I am considering ordering either the Boostier or the Sexdrive. From reading a few of your earlier posts, it sounds like you're slightly favoring the Boostier over the Sexdrive (if you had to choose only one), right? If you don't mind, could you summarize what you consider to be the important sonic differences between these two booster pedals?

Thanks!

17. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I would probably take the Boostier, because it just has the more natural sound, and it cuts through better.. It can make your guitar sound like that clean SRV sound, it also runs internally on 18volts with a converter chip, and you can tell the difference with headroom compaired to the Sexdrive. WIth the Boostier your picking naunces come out better.. Believe me I love both pedals, and I run them both together, but the Boostier has somthing special.. I think I should have got the Boostiest.

18. roknfnrol

I've owned the Sexdrive and the Landgraff, I sold them both for the Boostiest.

19. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Does the overdrive half of the Boostiest stand on its own as something unique and special? The Burriss website doesn't really describe how it sounds; it only mentions that it is a "buttery smooth" TS-derived (improved upon) overdrive circuit. But I find that most TS-derived pedals are too smooth and compressed sounding. Also, does the Boostiest have 18 volt capability like the Boostier?

20. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yes, but only the Boostier side is doubled, because most TS style pedal don't even need 9 volts let alone 18 volts.. The Boostier side is exactly like the original, and there is a seperate overdrive side, and they are cascadable..