Burrs developed on stainless steel tune-o-matic bridge -- is that possible?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by phoenix 7, Feb 16, 2012.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I've been breaking lots of high e and b strings on my Callaham stainless TOM bridge -- right at the saddles. Is it possible that stainless could have developed a burr? Another possibility: I had the saddles slotted by my tech guy. I wonder if he didn't do a great job.

I don't have the tools to do the job right myself. Would some vigorous rubbing with some 600 sandpaper possibly help? Or is the SS too hard? I have a gig coming up on Saturday and would prefer not to bust a string. I'm sure I will with the way things are going lately if I don't fix this.

2. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

The saddles themselves aren't steel, they're plated brass like on every other TOM, so they may very well be burred:

http://www.callahamguitars.com/abr1.htm

"Construction and Specifications
    Again the bridge body is made from cold rolled medium carbon steel. Rigid quality controls are checked thoughout the bodies production. The body is nickel plated to mil spec standards to maintain all critical dimensions. The intonation screws, mounting studs, and thumbwheels are stainless steel. It is the quality control in production and plating that allows the intonation screws to be a press fit into the body. The saddles are machined from the same brass bar stock we make our Tele saddles before being nickel plated. They are direct replacement on our ABR-1 and Gibson ABR-1 bridges."

3. phoenix 7

Good to know -- thanks! Now I just need to figure out how to fix this.

4. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

lift the string and look at the saddle closely. if it looks rough then you should touch it up. use some extra fine grade sandpaper, folded over if you can fit it in the high e slot, and pass through a few times. or at least until it looks smooth and no sharp edges

5. phoenix 7

Thanks very much for the tip - will do.