Burst buckers versus Duncan 59s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kmaz, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

What is your preference between these two sets? Likes or dislikes? The Burst buckers are from 2005.

2. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I like them both so, to me, it's really guitar dependent. For a more apples to apples comparison, I'm assuming you mean burstbucker pros and they and the 59s both have A5 magnets and pretty similar DC resistance. The BB's are asymmetrically wound, where the 59s are more evenly wound. In my LP, I liked the asymmetrically wound BB's best, but I liked them even more when I changed the magnets to an UOA5 in the bridge and an A3 in the neck. I'd be happy with either set, though.

3. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Thanks, Jason. The Burst buckers are from a 2005 R8. Weren't they called Burst buckers 1 and 2 then?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  4. Neo

Neo Member

The only BBs I've tried are the stock BB2/BB1 set on my two 2004 R7 Goldtops. The p'ups did not sound alike at all, and were reflective of the acoustic tone of each guitar.

One R7 sounded like an old school Metallica song- chugga chugga, very heavy metallish distorted; sterile and dark on the clean channel with no overtones, like the cleans on a basswood guitar. This one weighed 10 lbs, heavy for a Historic RI, and sounded plinky unplugged with very high tension like an EJ Strat.

Even with a pickup change, this tank-like R7 still sounded like a death metal machine so I ebayed it. Wish I had kept it as it sounded heavier than my Explorer with EMGs.

The 2nd R7 with Burstbuckers I kept, as it had that signature BB sound-bright and lively, with quite a bit of a trebly edge with some gain. Unplugged this guitar is highly resonant with a pronounced midrange honk. The honk is in abundance amplified, especially with gain. Kinda semi-hollowish. Weight on this R7 is 8.8 lbs and strings feel very slinky, the complete opposite of the R7 I sold.

Edit: The Duncan 59s were stock on my 2005 Rondo/Agile LP with a solid thick flame maple top and asian "mahogany". Sounded bland clean or distorted, but then again this particular guitar sounded dead acoustically as well. I sold this one because I thought a pickup change would have little to no effect like the heavy dead sounding R7 I got rid of.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  5. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

The Burstbuckers come in 1, 2, 3, and pros. The 1, 2, and 3 have A2 magnets. The Pro bridge is a BB2 with an A5 magnet and the Pro neck is a BB1 with an A5. The set in your R8 should be a 1 and a 2.