Burst Buckers vs. newer Custom Buckers on Gibson Historics - differnces?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patentcad, Feb 5, 2015.

1. patentcad

patentcad Member

Just got two new Historics, like the sound more than Historics I've owned before, apparently they call the pickups 'Custom Buckers' now, they used to be called 'Burst Buckers' up to a couple of years ago. I like the tone on these guitars more than previous Custom Shop LPs, I'm thinking it's the pickups, any of you LP experts know how they changed and if they changed (besides the name)?

These guitars always sounded great, now they sound better still.

2. sws1

sws1 Member

Some would say the CBs are simply BBs with a different magnet.

Having said that, I swapped my CBs out for a set of Wizz. CBs, while nice and bright, and had a lot of string definition, have a very stiff top end which I couldn't dial out. Didn't have that PAF top end which I like. I actually like my BBs a bit better in my ES335, even though they are a bit mushy.

3. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I think the BB's sound quite a bit different from the CB's. My experience with the CB's has been very positive and I have zero desire to change them out. I think the A3 magnets give the pickups more clarity and air. BB's come across dark and muddy to me.

4. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Aren't BBs matched coils and CBS unmatched?

5. patentcad

patentcad Member

Thanks, they do sound better than the old BBs to me.

6. rdodson

rdodson Supporting Member

The 57 Classics were matched coils & A2 mags, the BB's were mismatched and A2 mags, and the CBs are A3 with relatively fewer turns of wire.

7. sws1

sws1 Member

I really liked my CB neck, but the bridge has a runaway frequency somewhere. And not a good one to my ears. Maybe if I was playing high gain stuff, it would disappear, but playing low gain, edge of breakup stuff, the sweetness wasn't there.

8. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

Have tried several recent CB loaded historics recently and have played many pre-2013 historics with BBs.

The 2013 historics sounded better, but I am NOT sure if it was the pickups or just all this hide glue hype or whatever... don't know. You'd really need to try them both in the SAME guitar to tell the difference.

All of the new speced historics I have tried (incl. a reasonably priced 2013 R8) were AWESOME guitars.

9. Bill M

Bill M Member

The custombuckers not only use a different magnet than the BB's, but are also wound with different coil offsets and turns per layer.

10. patentcad

patentcad Member

Do I think changes like hide glue and truss rod tube removal make a tonal difference? No way. Pickups? Of course. I think if the newer Historics sound different it has to be the pickups. All this other stuff is Gibson trying to help their cork sniffer customers cook up rationalizations to buy a new Historic.

Happily for me, I don't need Gibson's help; I can provide my own convoluted rationalizations for dropping the coin on these guitars. Hey, at least they're killer guitars.