Burst Eternity vs Honey Bee vs Timmy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluesHarp, Mar 2, 2008.

Which one for low gain blues?

1. Paul C Timmy

2. Lovepedal Burst Eternity

3. BJFE Honey Bee

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Poll on these 3 for which is the better low gainR for blues.

It would be great if you actually had played all 3 pedals at one time. This should be fun..

2. starfish

starfish Member

I have both the BJF HB and a burst Eternity. I love them both. Each has its strengths.

On one hand the BJF Honeybee is a very unique sound with super touch sensitivity and really enhances other pedals placed before it. The Honeybee is my favorite BJF pedal though I like them all for different reasons. I think it excels at a low gain OD and can really make a fuzz in front sound like restrained chaos. Great creative tone.

On the other hand, the burst Eternity is the very best TS-like pedal I have ever used. It is smooth and has so many sounds available. The eq can be dialed in very transparent so my OD tone and my dry tone match exactly eq-wise. I've never been able to achieve that with another TS type pedal. The mystery chip reminds me of the rc4558 which is my favorite chip used in TS type pedals. It may not be the rc4558 but it sounds great regardless.

Normally I would say get both, but since your poll says "Poll on these 3 for which is the better low gainR for blues." - I say Eternity Burst for low gain blues. It's the ultimate TS for me. I also like the HB for low gain, but moreso for alt-rock americana type stuff and for stacking. Both of these pedals together would make the ideal stack.

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I've had all three on my board at the same time for several months and I would vote for the Eternity out of that race. The Honeybee > Timmy stack is really nice when you own both.
    I personally go for the LGW above all of them for that, but the Eternity is a definite contender. It has great harmonic complexity and sings for leads without being to gainy. The only drawback that kept it from beating out the LGW is the additional bass that it cuts compared to the LGW.

4. OOG

OOG Member

have all 3 on one of my boards now
    and a Zen II
    answer is

depends on my mood at the time

5. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Yea.. I should have picked the LGW instead of timmy on this poll. I was thinking low gain and the timmy came up in my mind cause I've used it for ts-9 blues stuff. I now use the Timmy as a klon substitute. The secret is a 1458 opamp. I didnt use the gain in the klon and I absolutley NAILED the klon sound ( as a boost/stack pedal ). Wait before you flip out. I will post a new thread on my findings in greater detail.

So my gold klon is for sale...

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

IF I had to choose between those I would pick the E, BUT the HB into Timmy is VERY hard to beat.

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I found the same when A/bing klon to timmy just for boost, so you are not alone. The timmy is one HELL of a pedal!

8. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I've owned all three (the E was a Roadhouse), and the HBOD and Timmy have become permanent fixtures. I'm obviously in the minority here, but the Eternity didn't work for me at all. I have a real aversion to anything even remotely TS.

For low gain blues, I'd vote Honey Bee. It has a real nice balance of smooth and sting. However, as others have noted, stacking brings out the best in it. It sounds really good into the Timmy, but I don't have mine set to optimize the HBOD. My faves are feeding it with either a Silver Kiss or Sun Face.

9. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I have the Timmy, a silver kiss is on the way, and I allready own the sun face!

The only Ts-9 pedal I really liked was the mjm Blues Devil.. and I wouldnt have sold it if it had a touch more bass. The E followed, and now I have the HB on the way. The menatone pedals workingMblue, blue collar, and red snapper were my next to try. Maybe the maxon pro+.

10. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Any pointers from you guys on stacking the honeybee and the Timmy? Which one first and what range of settings work for you?

11. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I have all three. I'm about to sell my Eternity because of the bass cut so I have followed cbpickin's lead and recently got a MP LGW which replaced the E on my board. I really liked the HB alot but it's lack of output volume meant I was always having to boost it with something which made it a difficult pedal to use for any lead work as it could not be loud enough on it's own. The Timmy is such a great pedal. It makes my Super Reverb sound like it is on 7 or 8 when I have it at 3 which makes the band and the audience very happy indeed. Plus it stacks with any pedal I have ever paired it with. I have a Klon on order and am curious how it will A/B against the Timmy.

12. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

I have the burst e and a bee on the way...I am gonna dig those two together I know....For cheap low gain blues try the austin gold from rocktron...Everyone needs one of these in their gig box.

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've also had all three of these pedals, and I agree that the burst E would be the best of those three for the application you have listed. I also agree with the above comments as to why ;)

-Ben

14. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

You still use the silver kiss? If so, what application and settings? Mine is on the way.

15. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I had a Red Snapper as well, ultimately replaced by the Timmy. The RS is a really nice pedal in its own right, but I find the Timmy just a tad more open sounding and flexible in terms of EQ.

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Yep! It's an updated MKI, not a MKII though, so my settings will be different than those you'd have on a MKII. As an approximation in o'clocks, I'm running: T = 10, M = 10 and B = 2. Although I as often as not run the mids fully cranked as well, and sometimes add more bass also.

Application: Low gain, Voxy / Hiwatty drive. Great for adding some dynamic hair. And it also works fantastically well goosing other ODs or fuzzes with the same settings as I have it on for the low gain, Voxy / Hiwatty drive!

-Ben

17. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

18. Squatch

Squatch Member

Low gain Blues - Eternity, because of the compression and bite. That being said, I sold my Eternity when I got my Timmy... so it all depends on the application. :AOK

19. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Gotta say the Klon kills with a SR. I tended to just use it as a fat slightly gritty boost, so when I got the Timmy the Klon left due to the simple fact that the timmy does a GREAT fat slightly gritty boost as well. I couldn't see using the HB as a lead pedal, but it kills for low gain overdrive and as a stacker it is indispensible. :AOK

20. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

So what is the setting that NAILED the klon?
    With what gear?
    Like to see that new thread when your ready!;)