Burstbucker 2 or 3 for bridge pup in SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by philamag87, Jan 24, 2012.

1. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

I already have the BB1 for my neck pup in my 61 RI SG and love it! It replaced a WCR Crossroads pup, which replaced the 57 classics. I had the WCR Darkburst in the bridge but removed it after a few months as it sounded to compressed and put the 57 classic back in the bridge position. The 57 is ok but looking for a little more power. Will the BB3 balance ok with the BB1 or am I better going with the BB2?

2. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

1&2s are supposed to be well balanced together I have a set in a 335. Nice and mellow likable.
    I also have 2&3 in a LP like that allot. Well balanced. You could mix match, may sound fine......but one thing bothers me Those WCR pickup should be very good. I have a similar WCR set in another LP.
    Did you install WCR pots and caps? I always change them to a quality band, either R&S or WCR. Makes a big difference, very big.

3. t***9

t***9 Silver Supporting Member

The BB pickups can range a lot in DC Resistance. The BB2 can run from 8.0K to 8.5K, BB3's can run from 8.4K to 9.1K - that's quite a range. Pay attention to the DC Resistance gap between the neck and bridge pickups; a difference around 0.7K works well for me (7.9K BB1 neck and 8.6K BB3 bridge). IMO above 8.7K and the sound closes up some and is not as open and big, but I'm looking for a more vintage blues-rock sound. Good luck.

4. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

there's a recent thread about $500 pickup sets
    ..you should take a look at some of those

...'cause they obviously sound better

5. 3th3r

3th3r Member

If you play more hard rock then BB3 in the bridge is good; if you play more bluesy stuff then BB2. As t***9 mentioned, the BBs vary in resistance -- they are designed this way, so you won't find two of the same model that sound exactly alike.

6. philamag87

Yes I had the WCR volume and tone pots and caps (.015 neck, .022 bridge) The caps sounded a little duller than the stock ceramic ones. The .015 in the neck really killed the volume of the neck pup. I did try the 50's wiring but I hated the huge volume spike from 9 to 10. I installed some NOS Sprague Vitamin Q's .022 and those rock!

I pulled the WCR tone pots and replaced them with the original Gibson pot in the bridge and a cheapie WD pot in the neck. I didn't care for the sweep of the WCR pots. The bridge one actually had a sticking point at 6.

The WCR volume pots aren't bad but I'm going to replace them with the RS Guitarworks Superpot. I don't care for the WCR sweep and its noisy from 6 to 9, quite at 1.5-5 and at 10. Its a staticky type of noise.

We play classic rock, 70's music, jam band stuff and some pop stuff.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

If those pickups aren't working for you, the problem probably isn't the pickups.

8. philamag87

What do you mean?

9. Dale

Dale Member

If you like the 57 and just want a little more power the 57 plus is that pickup.

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I mean the 57s and the WCRs are great sounding pickups. If they're not sounding good, the problem is probably somewhere else in your signal chain. BBs are a step backwards IMHO.

11. philamag87

Oh i gotcha now! My signal chain is pretty solid. High end cables, patch cables and true bypass pedals and 1 buffered pedal. I don't disagree with you that the WCR is great sounding but for some reason I just didn't think they were as great as they were made out to be. I haven't ruled out going with the Godwood for the bridge pup.

The 57 in the neck never did anything for me. Bridge is ok though. I do like the BB for some reason.

12. saf_1

saf_1 Member

Yeah, I kind of can't believe you didn't like the WCR's. I owned a Custom Shop Joe Perry Boneyard LP, which came with a BB2 in the neck, and a BB3 in the bridge - and I never liked that pu combination at all. The 2 sounded muddy in the neck, and the 3 was just too much in the bridge - didn't like the overtones... just impressed me as being more output than tone. I had a '59 Historic though, with the normal 1 neck/2 bridge combo, and I thought it sounded ok. I don't LOVE Burstbuckers in general, but I really did not hit it off with the 3, at all.

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

What about your amp, effects, speaker(s)?

14. philamag87

Amp is Fender Blues Jr and Hot Rod Deluxe 3 all stock. Effects vary but usually Analogman BiComp, Analogman silver mod SD-1, Digitech Hardwire Delay and an MXR Boost Line Driver. I've been using the HRD3 more and running no effects into it. I actually enjoy using the drive on that amp.

I'm not knocking WCR at all. Jim is an awesome guy!! He answered everyone of my emails within hours! I doubt I will sell my WCR pups and I may revisit them at a later date.

15. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Good God man, there's your problem. [​IMG] I had one of those and it was quite literally among the worst sounding pieces of garbage I've ever heard. Get a real amp before tweaking pickups incessantly. You're spending more on your pickups than you did on your amp. While the Hot Rod isn't as bad as the BJ, it's still not a great amp.

16. philamag87

LOL!! I don't really use the Blues Jr that much since I got the HRD. I traded my Marshall DSL 401, which I never really jived with, towards the HRD. What do you recommend for an amp then?

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Holy smokes, you have terrible taste in amps. Seriously, you could plug Pearly Gates herself into a DSL-401 and it would sound terrible. If I were you, I'd be worrying about amps instead of pickups. :mmm:wave

18. philamag87

So what amp do you recommend? Mesa Boogie, Genz Benz, Fuchs, Matchless, vintage Fender or Marshall? There's a guy in town that builds his own amps all handwired with military grade components. It's only $1800 for a 15watt and $2200 for a 50 watt. Wonder if that's any good?

19. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Take your guitar as-is to a guitar shop and try out some amps, then tell us if you need pickups.

Grungy :D