Burstbucker Mud?

Gearaddict

Gibson just sent me a new es-335 '63 memphis with BB 1 and 2 pickups as a replacement for one I sent in for a binding issue. The guitar I sent back to them was a lot airier and brighter. Could it be the pickups need to be lowered a tad? Would that help?

You can certainly try lowering the pickups. I would check the pots to see what the resistance is; if the numbers are lower than 500k you could swap them out for 500k and achieve the goal of increasing the brightness.

Gearaddict

I doubt it's the pots as this guitar is supposed to have vintage wiring and caps. I know it isnt strings either as these come with Gibson's vintage which I really like. And I hope noone chimes in I got a pos one, because that is sheer BS. There is no difference between guitars of the same model, woods and specs, unless there is something radically wrong with the build.

MRscratch

Im going to say that no two guitars are alike. When shopping for a R-9 i tried all that were in the store. Different colors, same guitars, completely different sounds. You did not get one that you like. End of that.

Gearaddict

Thats BS as evidenced by Wildwood demo videos. Check it out sometime on a good sound system. No difference between guitars of the same model. They flower up the description of each guitar to make it sound unique, just to draw in the cork sniffers.

Dale

The BB1 and BB2 I have and have played were not muddy really. They were a bit brighter than many to me. Smoother and not as spiky as the BB Pro though if that is your reference.

Gearaddict

Ya, the bb1 an bb2 on the guitar I returned seemed nice and bright. Could be the pots as you say, since pot values are not consistant values and I noticed the taper on these are not gradual as they were on the first 63 335 I returned. I dont fault Gibson, as I doubt they have time or resources to check the value of each pot they install.

Gearaddict

No disrespect, but we are talking about a plywood guitar with a centerblock, not a $30,000, vintage Martin acoustic (incidently, the cheap plastic laminate Martins sound almost as good). I suppose the rosewood fretboard contains too much moisture/natural oil, which is dampening the tone. I'll try replacing the pots and lowering the pickups a tad before I throw in the towel and trade it in. Of course this TGP, and if we all didn't believe such nonsense, there would be no need for a forum.