Burstbucker Pro's versus 490T

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, May 20, 2019.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

Is there a general favorite? For me I much prefer the Burstbuckers

2. iGouger

iGouger Supporting Member

Didn't care for the 490R/Ts... Truth be told don't care for Burstbuckers either. I thought about maybe going Dirty Fingers... Thought about maybe going BKP... but eventually replaced them with Seymour Duncan Black Winters... made a world of difference. Couldn't be happier.

Mincer and darkinners like this.
  3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

In my experience the 490 series pickups can sound great in the right guitar and crap in another. The pickup has to match the instrument.

I'm not a fan of Burstbuckers in the guitars I've played that had them but they may work very well in yours.

4. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

The 490T in the bridge of my Faded Les Paul sounds awesome. Don't like the Burstbuckers at all. The 490T is the first stock bridge humbucker I haven't felt compelled to rip out and replace with a Duncan JB. It really fits the guitar well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    rauchman likes this.
  5. bigben55

bigben55 Member

I'm "pretty sure" I have Burstbucker Pros in my 2016 LP Studio Faded. No stickers on the undersides, but they read 8.17k br and 7.87k neck. The PCB system has been replaced with traditional parts.

I'm not a humbucker guy, not a Gibson guy. I know I didnt like the 490/498 pickups in a LP Studio I once had. But honestly, I really like the BB Pros. They clean up well, are articulate but are ballsy enough. The neck isn't mushy and bassy, and the bridge has bite. Not too hot either. They do NOT pummel the amps front end, and arent overly mid heavy.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    C-4, uab9253 and still.ill like this.
  6. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

I have BB Pros in my Studio. Never had or been able to try the 498s long enough to form an opinion about them. Plus, at my skill level and sonic capabilities, I'd probably never be able to tell the difference anyway.

Heck, my favorite P90 is the one that comes in the Epiphone Special 1 with P90s...

7. still.ill

still.ill Member

Yeah thats the same model I have, the 2016 LP "T" Faded Brown Les Paul. i Love how the neck never gets sticky, its less than 8 lbs, and the tone I definitely prefer to many higher end les Pauls.

8. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

Are BB Pros supposed to be brighter than 498s? They told me that mine came with those because of the mahogany cap. Wouldn't be as bright as a maple cap...

9. bigben55

bigben55 Member

Agree! Mine is the fireburst finish. A previous owner rewired it with 4 CTS 500K pots, better switch, PIO caps. I HATE the glossy "normal" Gibson necks, but dont mind the satin finish one bit. I'd prefer the 60s neck shape over the bigger 50s shape I have, but its live withable.

10. bigben55

bigben55 Member

From what I remember, yes, they're brighter. The bridge is definitely not as hot. They definitely clean up better and the neck is more articulate.

Penguinchit likes this.
  11. Gurn

Gurn Member

I prefer the 490 R&T in the Les Paul Faded to the Burst Buckers in my son's SG.

12. uab9253

uab9253 Member

This is my same opinion! Those are the only two Gibson buckers I've ever owned, both in LP's but different models. I love the BB pros!

13. colinesquire

colinesquire Member

Having used both in the same SG I’d use 490 r/t hands down. They meter in the paf-ish range but have a bit more mids & output. I found the bb pros unusably bright and thin.

Gurn likes this.
  14. Captainruss

Captainruss Member

The 490/498 in the LP I had were, to me, horrible. I tried to like them, made adjustments to them, the set up, my playing but in the end I couldn’t make them work. Tried a 490T in place of the 498 and it was worse.

I have heard a lot of guys with SGs say the 490/498 is a great match more consistently.

BBs I’ve never owned but have played a few and I liked them way better than the 490/8.

Discovered P90s and I haven’t come back to HBs for a while.

15. Dale

Dale Member

490/498 is preferred by me over the pros. I like the BB1/2 combo better.

supersoldier71 likes this.
  16. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I have Burstbucker Pros in my LP Standard that I want to swap out for A4 OX4 pickups.

17. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Love the Pros in my ‘02 Standard, have never liked the 490 set in any guitar I’ve tried.

18. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

I had a LP Special (see Avatar) with 490/498s and the bridge tone was fantastic--not too bright, never thought about rolling back the tone control. But with my LP Standard & Burstbucker Pros I roll the bridge tone back to 5. So, my ears think the Pros are brighter than the 498. However, the Standard has a Maple top while the Special is all Mahogany. Sorry, not a true comparison I guess.

19. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I’ve got the 498/490 set in my LP Special, and I can definitely see how some players would dislike them. They don’t do cleans very well at all, at least through my rig, and my Special lacks coil-splitting.
    With some distortion, they come into their own: power and clarity and they just plain rock.

I doubt I’d choose either the 498 or the 490 if I were trying to upgrade, I’d probably go with a JB bridge and either a ‘59 or a Jazz neck. And coil splitting.

20. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

I just bought a new LP Custom Pro, which has BB 2 and 3's in it, along with coil splitting and phase reversal on push/pull dials. The pickups, as described in the quote above, are wonderful. The guitar has the aggressive nature of an angry angel, and is perfect for commercial rock, country and pop. It cleans up well and works great for 1940's jazz and swing through my Marshall set for clean tones.

The 490/498 pickups I don't favour, but as was mentioned above, in the right guitar they are just as good. It gets down to what each person prefers, and nothing more.