Burstbucker question.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ides of March, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

If this is in the wrong forum I apologize, I have a 98 Gibson les paul studio stock with 490/498's in it. I really like the sound of them but I was also interested in putting in Burstbuckers in their place. Can anyone give me pro's and con's in reference to this. Would it be worth changing them out.
    Thanks.

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I'm no pickup expert, but I have the 490/498's in my Studio, and the Burstbucker Pro's in my Standard. They're both excellent. To my ear, the Burstbuckers are a bit crisper and cut through the mix a bit better though I wouldn't say "hotter" by any stretch of the imagination. The 490/498 combination is a little better for clean or jazzy stuff, to my ear. Both are very responsive to raising and lowering and you can get a variety of tones just by doing that, but I've never heard the edge out of the 490/498's that I get out of the BB's when playing rock.

All that said, a nice compromise (again, in my non-expert opinion) is the 57 Classics. I have those in a Classic Antique, and they seem like the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps.

3. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Do you like more of a vintage tone?
    Do you like low output?
    Do you like a little more bite?... a little more like single coil tone?
    Not big warm round tone?

:)

4. stuagu

stuagu Member

gibsons pickups vary an awful lot, ive heard really great classic 57's & ive heard really boring ones & im sure with gibsons quality control (& that really is a contradiction in terms) the bb's vary in the same manner.
    lindy fralin make the best "mass produced" pick ups imo, theyre better than bare knuckle/di/duncans etc...
    but if youre really set on bb's then go for it & i hope u find a good set.:)

5. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I really like the BB Pros over the 490/498's. They are nice and mellow vintage sounding but bite as well. My $0.02. Good luck!!

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm not a big fan of either. They're both okay, but neither is great. The 490/498 combination is a bit harsh and Burstbucker Pros are a little bassy for my liking. Burstbucker 1 and 2 are good though. I'd be looking more at Duncan 59s, 59/Custom-5, Seth Lovers or WCR pickups instead.

7. jimfear

jimfear Silver Supporting Member

I'm not a big fan of the Burstbuckers in my R9. When compared to the 57' Classics in my Custom and my ES-355, they are much harsher. If I'm playing through a clean amp or something with just a little bit of dirt, I have to really cut back on the treble to adjust for the BB's, while the 57's give me a rounder, smoother tone. I haven't tried any non-Gibson replacements, but I'm thinking about checking some out.

8. billstets

billstets Member

That's supposedly due to the unbalance coils, which is supposed to be more vintage correct. The 57 and BB1 and 2 are essentially the same pickups, except the 57 has balanced coils.

9. jimfear

jimfear Silver Supporting Member

I didn't know that. Pretty interesting, thanks for the knowledge!

10. billstets

billstets Member

At least that's my understanding anyway! I read it somewhere.

And I should add that I have BB1-2 in my R8 and I like them. That extra bite is great for getting that Allman Bros style honk. I also feel that you can't add what isn't there, so I'd rather have the extra bite available, and then roll the tone off if necessary.

11. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I have a '92 custom shop LP that came stock with 498/490 hums. I took those out, installed 500K volume pots and installed BB2 & BB1 pickups. The guitar is like 1,000 times better sounding now. It has the brightness, bite, and clarity that the other pickups and pots could not deliver. I recommend these pickups.

If you want to step it up a notch, you could get some Seymour Duncan Antiquities. I have those in another LP and they are REALLY NICE.

12. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your input very much. I actually was interested in the BB 1 and 2's not the pro's. Do they sell the BB 1 and 2's together or seperately. I am assuming separately. Oh by the way I like grungey, dirty, type tone as well as some southern rock feel. As well as some alternative clean.

13. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

My BB pros are really good. I haven't had the urge to change them and I usually chuck stock pickups right away. Good luck!

14. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

While I think that the Burstbuckers are very usable pickups, you would do yourself a disservice not to check out the vast array of brilliant PAF pickups being made today. Here are few that rock my world:

1. Lollar Imperials (www.lollarguitars.com)
    2. Anything by WCR (www.wcrguitar.com)
    3. Anything by Sheptone (www.sheptone.com)
    4. Duncan Antiquities or Seth Lovers (these aren't for everyone but in the right guitar...wow. www.seymourduncan.com)
    5. Suhr DSV (www.suhrguitars.com)
    6. Anything by Lindy Fralin (www.fralinpickups.com)

There are some others that I've undoubtedly forgotten, but the point is that unless you are convinced that Burstbuckers are better for your sound when compared to anything listed above, don't buy them just because they say Gibson.