Burstbucker vs Dr.Vintage in Sg

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by saucyjack, Oct 11, 2008.

1. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Trying to fine tune my Gibson VOS SG.
    Really love the feel of the guitar,not sure about the Burstbucker(I think BB1 in neck and BB2 in Bridge).

The Bridge is ok...maybe a bit harsh and the cleans could be better.Neck seems to woofy and I'm wanting a bit more chime,clarity and jangle out of Neck and Neck+Bridge position.
    I've adjusted the pup height and this helps but still leaves me wanting especially for Cleanish tones.

I've got a set of Dr.Vintages in a LesPaul and was thinking of throwing them in the SG to see if they would get me closer.I'm not a big high gain fan...think more Who/Cheap Trick/Stones.

Also,are the Pots/Bumble caps pretty decent quality?
    Would I notice much of a difference with the RS kit?

2. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

I would recommend Duncan Antiquities or Gibson Classic 57s and the RS kit.

3. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

Well i heard antiquites get closer than most other pups i'm also thinking about buying a paf pup for my HSS strat :D :D

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Before you change the pickups,give the 50's wiring a shot,with PIO caps.You may find you still like the BB's...

5. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

I just measured the pots and they appear to be 500k(same as my RS)so I'm not sure changing the pots will make drastic difference...I may try just changing out the BB neck and putting the Dr.Vintage in there.

6. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I switched out my BB's for Dimarzio PAF (36 anvv.) in my R7 .. later I went to the RS vintage kit (with 50's wiring) The Kit was a HUGE difference.. made cleans come to life. I can get down to 1 on the volume and it is still very usable sounding.. The Dimarzios in comparison to the BB's have much fuller lows and the highs are very even and at all spikey. Overall eq is fuller and punchier and when I roll volume back it cleans up really nice.. 1000 times better than stock setup

7. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

so the wiring really improves the dynamics and tone...

8. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

i Gotta say I've done the RS kit in a SG classic and Les Paul Studio and it was an improvement more sparkle/clarity to my ears and a usuable tone knob.

The Pots/Caps in my VOS SG seem to be higher quality and has some nice sounds when tweaking the tone knob...I'm interested to see if the RS kit would make as nice a difference in the VOS SG as the lower priced Gibsons

9. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

10. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

i changed out the BB's in my 01 R8ca with the Dr.V's and the aged RS kit and its like a whole new guitar.

highly reccomended!

11. dverna

dverna Member

Was there a particular RS kit that was most appropriate for the SG Classic? I have one and find the tone/volume taper to be a bit harsh to say the least.

12. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

It was just the Standard RS kit..the one they recommend for SGs.
    I thought it was a nice improvement over the stock electronics

13. dverna

dverna Member

thank you

14. uOpt

uOpt Member

You shouldn't be able to hear the difference between two pots that both measure 500 Kohm.

The difference between capacitors is there but be warned that just because a capacitor is physically small, e.g. one of the $0.0001 ceramic caps, doesn't mean it sounds bad. It just sounds different. Going from a ceramic to a e.g. a Musicap gives you a softer, rounder sound. But whether that's better is a matter of taste.

In your case you say your neck pickup is too woofy, so the high-quality capacitor can make it worse.

Anyway, the proper fix for a too woofy neck pickup in a full-mahogany Gibson scale guitar is the Seymour Duncan Jazz, if you still want the claity of A5. Going A2 can be tricky with all-mahogany since it can get too dark.

15. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

I'm sure the Jazz is a nice pickup but I've got the Dr.Vintage pickups already.
    I'm just curious for anyone's experiences with Dr.Vintage pickups in an SG.

I agree the pot swap shouldn't make a huge difference