Burstbuckers rewound by Wolfetone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ironman, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Ironman

Ironman Member

I know this has been covered before but I thought I'd share my very positive experience with Wolfetone Marshallheads.

Like a lot of guys, I felt my BB's were a tad on the harsh side so I sent them off to Wolfetone for his Marshallhead rewind. I've been playing with them in my R7 for about a week now and I am so much happier with these Marshallhead winds (neck 8.1K & bridge 8.8K)! This is a slighly hot PAF tone, notes pop out and bloom beautifully, has that wonderfull PAF growl with a little more oomph than vintage. There is a lot of clarity, a very nice pleasant bite on the high end with zero harshness, just very sweet sounding. These are all improvements over my old BB's.

At $50 each, this was my best investment yet in the crazy pickup challenge.
    I highly recommend a Marshallhead rewind on the BB's! Not to mention, Wolfe is a great guy to talk to and do business with. :AOK

2. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Yep :AOK

3. 59model

59model Member

Do they get a little more in the lower mids? I found the wound strings to have that nice craaaang sound and even liked the unwounds to have a nice sound for rythem, but the lead tone was very Tele sounding and thin unless using a mid humped OD. I`m trying a Duncan Custom Custom in it now, and still not sure it`s a keeper as the low strings just don`t have that bite and growl, but soloing is nice and fat.

4. go7

go7 Member

Any Experience with pups from Wolfetone is going to put a smile on your face. Wolfe is the best dude to deal with. I am switching all my guitars over time to his pups. IMHO he`s "the man" when it comes to pups.

5. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

I would like to say that I had the same experience with with Wolfe and Wolfetone, but I'm a little dissapointed my pups took an extra two weeks longer than originally quoted because he had to do an "emergency order for Rick Derringer..." I mean, rock and roll freakin hootchie koo :D I can live with that.

That said - I've not had a chance to drop my Marshallheads into a guitar yet as a set of WCR's showed up for the intended LP. But I'm going to drop them into a GMW Strat here in the next week or so and have no doubt they will be great. Wolfe rewound a 490 / 498 set for me.

Wolfe was awesome to deal with, always prompt in response and communication. Grade A 100% Customer service.

Steve E

6. Ironman

Ironman Member

Are you talking BB's or Marshallheads? These rewinds are bright, articulate, fat and sweet like a true PAF but with a little more kick. Overall they are clearer, fatter and sweeter sounding than my BB's were. Nice and vocal with a beautiful growl and bloom that just puts a huge smile on my face. BB's just never hit me like these pups. These pups are totally nailing the tones I'm wanting with no problems.

I've got some experience with a Custom Custom in a Strat. Like you said, they are nice for soloing since they've got that huge smooth midrange but they do lack the balls and clarity that I like. They're nothing like a PAF style pu which is where I'm happiest.

7. Ironman

Ironman Member

Yeah, he's working his ass off! He's definitely not slacking on the job out there in Seattle. I noticed he posted some upcoming vacation time on his website which is a nice heads up for us impatient tone hounds. :crazy

8. 59model

59model Member

Yea I was talking about the stock BB`s that came in my 58RI LP, that`s why I`m trying the CC in the bridge, but I like PAF type cause of that top end bite, just the BB`s were to harsh and the CC is too fat. I`m a picky SOB too and never heard of the Marshalheads so I`m curious. Either that or some of Jim Wagner`s pickups. Thanks for any info you can give!

9. Ironman

Ironman Member

Well, from what I'm hearing from you, you'd love the Marshallheads! They are based on a true PAF but wound a little hotter, not much though. Hey, I'm picky as hell too so when I come across something so positive I feel I have to share it. You could send the BB's to Wolfe to get rewound for a lot, lot less than getting new pu's but you'd essentially be getting new pu's anyway. It was a no brainer for me. Give him a call, he's a cool guy and knows his stuff.

10. 59model

59model Member

Thanks Ironman, will do. And at that price, it`s really not a gamble. It`s very rare you can get something reasonably priced that you`re happy with, so I`m goin for it!

11. Macleod

Macleod Member

Heh. The speed of service thing is something I'm taking some serious strides in lately. I'm ashamed to say there have been plenty of times where it took me entirely too long to get something done. After my vacation, I'll be having regular help here. I've been having someone come in occasionally to help get stuff when when I get too backed up. He's been coming in off and on for a couple years now. Being that I just cleared up a major monthly payment, he'll be here on a regular 2-3 days a week basis for assembly (if I can get him here that oten). I wind, he assembles. And he does a great job!
    Lately with his help, assembly time has been taken down to a couple days unless soemthing special is needed that I don't have in stock.
    A list of recent back orders have been put together as well and should be completed before I go on vacation.

As a side note, I'm sad to announce the temporarily unavailability of the Marshallhead coils. The plain enamel wire that I use has a spec tolerance. I need wire at the "minimum" spec to wind the MH coils. I currently have "nimonal" spec wire, and my supplier can't find a min-speec spool for me. This is making the Marshallheads impossible because the coil builds up too fast and won't fit on the bobbins. :(

As a second side note, Rick called again today, looking for more of the soon to be RD P-90 model. His sound engineer told him "do not get rid of that guitar!" and it looks like things are going to move forward with Warrior, now that I have ceramic magnets in stock to produce samples of those pickups.
    Rick said he'd given away one of his guitar with "another" pickup in it, and is considering sending one of his own guitars here for me to play with to get the best sounding single coil for the middle, to match the bridge and neck P-90's. :eek:

Ironman, sorry to side-track here! I'm very glad you're liking that set! looking forward to some recordings if you're able! :AOK

12. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

Wolfe is a great guys and a fantastic builder. I have his MH in my LP and the Caretaker set in my McCarty. His pickups are complex with unreal clarity....yet so warm and full. The price is right and service is top notch.

Thus far, ny personal favorite with his pickups...is the Caretaker. It has a touch more heat over the MH and I like its thickness and warmth. Seems a touch darker than the MH....but I haven't done a controlled comparison.

Great stuff.

13. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

I've got some Wolfetones in my third Heatley, and it's the single best-sounding guitar I own.

14. papersoul

I think the best Wolfetone is the Caretaker set!

15. Ced777

Ced777 Member

Papersoul: Is there a big difference between Caretaker and MH (tonewise)?:confused:

16. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

The Caretaker model is slightly hotter than a Marshallhead and wound with a different type of wire.

17. papersoul

I find them similar......but right now they are in totally different guitars so it is hard to gauge. The CT is a touch hotter and a touch more modern sounding to my ears.

18. go7

go7 Member

Wolfe wound me some Tele cubs, The service was fabulous. A guitar I was going to sell is now close to my bed every night. I can`t wait for my 2 Heatleys with Wolfetone pups. No harsh highs and amazing clarity. It really takes a few weeks to appreciate these pups. Arrived in Canada in less than 2 weeks.

19. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

Wolfe -

My comment was 100% tongue in cheek - in no way was I dissapointed at all. Custom hand wound means exactly that in your case, and I can get dropped in on by Rick Derringer with a smile on my face :p

Keep up the great work, hope the Rally was a great time ;)

Steve E

20. Macleod

Macleod Member

Of course it was. :AOK
    The Rally stuff was fantastic. It was not a "rally" per se, but a huge gathering of cars and drivers. Hundreds of them. There were Rally's, Autocross, club racing, Concours, etc...I had a blast!

Speaking of Rick...had a great meeting yesterday while he was in town for a local thing.
    [​IMG]