BurstBuckers vs. BurstBucker Pros

scihiflyer

Silver Supporting Member
I always liked the BurstBucker 1 and 2. Just recently bought a LP Premium AAA Quilt top w/ all the push/pull features(which are great)

'I dunno....The BB pros just sound a bit brittle and lower volume. Is it the wiring? My 2007 LP Custom w/ 490 498t is 3d like and my new 63 ES-335 50th Anniversary sounds amazing w/ BB's

Are the BB Pros a watered down version? Any thoughts???????

mcgruff

I seem to remember they're a higher wind and so should have a little more mids and output.

mt1782

Gold Supporting Member
Clean, dirty? My long ago traded custom sounded great clean with 49x but I hated it driven. While the burstbuckers where pretty good driven but not so much clean or just pushed breakup. I preferred 57 classics, before moving on to wolftone.

scihiflyer

Silver Supporting Member
I like them better dirty than clean. Would like to swap them out but be able to retain the push/pull features. Am after that Beck Blow By Blow tone. Was thinking Throbak MC-102B.....

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
The Pros are potted version of the 1 & 2, but with an A5 magnet instead of A2.
...and wound slightly hotter at: bridge 8.97k neck 8.67k. vs 8.0k, 8.5k and 8.8k for the bb 1/2/3.

this info came from Gibson tech support in 2008.

Last edited:

Jason_77

That's interesting... Mine measure 8.12k bridge, 7.68k neck.

Mine are from my '02 LP Standard. Maybe they tweaked them over the years?

Dale

I did not like the BB Pros in my 05 Standard. I went to 50th Ann. Seth Lovers there. I put them in an all mahogany Carvin bolt and they work well there. The BB1 and BB2 in my Epi V3 sound great. Toe Pros seem hotter and brighter than the BB1 and BB2 to my ears. The bright was not in a range I liked at all with Vox voiced amps.

DonP

That's interesting... Mine measure 8.12k bridge, 7.68k neck.

Mine are from my '02 LP Standard. Maybe they tweaked them over the years?
+1 Mine are about the same in my 2002 LP.

LOVE THEM, but then again I play hard rock and metal.

At first I thought they were harsh, but then I realized it was the guitar. As it aged the tone got better and better. I have not performed any electrical upgrades to my 2002, and won't ever.

thewestwon

I've been back and forth between a set of 1/2's and pros in a handful of guitars. I've come to the conclusion that I really don't care for the pros. To me, they also sound watered down and kind of muddy compared to the sets of 1/2's I have. This is especially apparent when I'm playing through my plexi wide open. It's a less noticeable difference at lower volumes and with pedals.

yardbird mac

I thought about changing out the BB Pros in my "03" Standard until a couple days ago. I had a habit of using the tone and volume wide open in all pickup selections. Now I roll the highs back between 5 - 7 and the volume to about 6 - 7 (both Pups). I tweak my amps a little and from what I hear, I think I'll leave the BB Pros in place.

Binaural

Silver Supporting Member
It's the magnets that cause the brittle sound you describe, the A5 is that way by nature. Swap the magnets to A2 roughcast if you'd like them to sound more like the BBs in your 335. A combo of an A3 in the neck and an UOA5 in the bridge make the BB pros simply awesome. And if you want to make them into Custombuckers, put an A3 in both the neck and bridge. The windings on all BB or BB pros is almost identical and the wax potting and magnets are the only real difference, and I got that info directly from a source at Gibson.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I thought about changing out the BB Pros in my "03" Standard until a couple days ago. I had a habit of using the tone and volume wide open in all pickup selections. Now I roll the highs back between 5 - 7 and the volume to about 6 - 7 (both Pups). I tweak my amps a little and from what I hear, I think I'll leave the BB Pros in place.
I have a similar story.

I've never tried the Burstbucker 1/2s but I recently bought a Les Paul Classic that has Burstbucker Pros.
Compared to my 36th Anniversaries the Pros are hot & bright.
At first I was going to swap out the BB Pros but I tried EQ'ing my amp to get the neck PU tone that I like and then rolled back on the Bridge PUs tone knob to get a good tone.

Used it at a gig and it just killed!
Left me some room on the Bridge PU to turn up the tone for some brighter country twang when needed but then just roll the tone back for some nice fat, raunchy classic rock tones.

OK, a little update.
I A/B tested my Les Paul the Burstbucker Pros against my SG with Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries.
I definitely prefer the Dimarzios.
They're cleaner, crunchier with better articulation.
The BB Pros sound muddy in comparison.

I bought a set of 36th Anniversaries for my Les Paul to replace the BB Pros.

Last edited:

mcgruff

It's the magnets that cause the brittle sound you describe, the A5 is that way by nature.
A5 don't sound actually sound "brittle"; it all depends what kind of coils you match them up with. The greater magnet strength compared to A2 probably won't be a good match for low-wind coils (where they certainly can sound harsh) but could work perfectly with a higher-wind.

Binaural

Silver Supporting Member
A5 don't sound actually sound "brittle"; it all depends what kind of coils you match them up with. The greater magnet strength compared to A2 probably won't be a good match for low-wind coils (where they certainly can sound harsh) but could work perfectly with a higher-wind.
I guess brittle isn't the best way to state how an A5 is. An A5 is brighter, has a sharper high end, scooped mids, lots of bass. firm low end, relatively high output. You are correct that a PAF isn't the best match for an A5 and the warmer A2 is often matched with theses types of pickups. The UOA5 on the other hand is almost a perfect match.

mcgruff

An A5 isn't actually any of those things on its own. The sound comes from the combination of magnet and coil. Stick an A5 in a coil with enough winds and it won't sound scooped at all.