Burstbuckers vs. Dimarzio 36th anniversary

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bartmcartman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Anyone swap out their burstbuckers for the dimarzio anniversary paf's?

2. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

Yes. I found it to be a vast improvement. For me, the BBpro's were a solid pickup, but a little spikey on the top end, and they drove my amp harder than I wanted. The Dimarzio's had a smoother feel (as most dimarzio's i've played), and retained clarity even with Warren Hayneish gain.
    I now have Tom Short Tombuckers in the LP, replacing the Dimarzio's. For half the price, the Dimarzio's are more than half the pickup that the Tombuckers are.

3. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I had to pull mine out. Anything approaching the above mentioned Warren Haynes relm of gain caused mucho squeelage. Not cool in my camp, out they go. I have not really found a set I like yet. I have the low gain Suhr's in there now. They are okay, great pickups just not a good match for this guitar. Sounds great in my LP DC. I have been sniffing these DiMarzio 36th for a while now.

4. cugel

cugel Member

somewhere there's a comparison of bbs, real pafs, wolfies and some others. i didnt hear that much difference thru computer speakers to be honest. only the real paf was just "better" sounding. the others seemed a tad honky for my tastes. that said, i pulled bbs from a lp std plus and threw in fralins with good pots and caps and the thing came alive. finally i put in darkbursts and sold the guitar. the dbs are wonderful and not as hot as my goodwoods. all in all though with a really good lp wood, the bbs could sound great based on those clips i heard. still most guys swap em out. i think you would have to take a day and put different pups in the same gutiar and compare. but what a pita. i love pickups and changing them. and i hate gibby so...its a no brainer for me. support the cottage.

5. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

I had BB PROs in my LPstd. I tried 36th anv and they are nice pickups. The BB Pros have more zing on the top and bottom end. The 36th anv have a mellower tone, and a little less character. I ended up with Classic 57s in the LP. They have just a little more presense then the 36th in the upper mids that worked great for this guitar. The BB Pros ended up in a SG Std, and they just are the perfect pickup for that guitar. Could not be happier.

6. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I will buy a set & try them out. I just installed a Liquid Fire in a friends guitar, it sounds great.

7. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

Yeah- I gotta get rid of the BB II and IIIs in my LP. Way to spikey/powerful and quite dark too. I just want a mellower PAF style pup. I need to find that thread mentioned above.

8. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

Huh... I've only had squealing in one set of PAF's i've installed: Duncan Antiquities. I liked the tone, but with that much gain it just freaked out. The 36ths did very well, but they are mellower than a BB... which for me was great. They're Alnico 5's, but with the 'airbucker' design feel more like alnico 2's. The Marc Ford Tombuckers i have now feel A LOT like the 36th, but are less congested with gain. I'd have no problem putting 36ths in another guitar... though Suhr SSV's sound like a lot of fun as well.

9. saijo

saijo Member

Sorry for the bump

I got BBpros on my les paul right now and im thinking of swapping it for 36th paf by dimarzio. Nothing wrong with the current pickups, im just looking for something smoother and mellower. Am i on the right direction?

10. DetroitBlues

DetroitBlues Member

Since both pickups are based upon the designs of the original PAF's, the difference might be subtle...

11. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I have two LP style guitars, one with BB's from a historic and the other has a 36th. I find them pretty comparable. The BB's are a little hotter. I like 'em both, really.

12. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I just ordered a set of the Dimarzio 36th Anni pickups that will replsce the Burstbuckers in my LP STD. Looking forward to getting them in!

13. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

36th PAFs are great pickups. I have them in my PRS CU22. You can't beat them for the price.

14. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

I really do enjoy the BBs in my Historic R7. Love all the possibilities with the volume & tone pots. They sound great with high gain too.

15. jaxn slim

jaxn slim Member

I like both, but the 36th Anniversarys are a lot clearer and more articulate IMO.

16. SFW

SFW Member

I have had BB Pros and the 36th Anni DiMarzios. I preferred the BB Pros. With that said, for PAF output pickups I seriously prefer the Duncan Pearly Gates.

17. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Duncan Antiquities, no doubt. They are the mellowest, smoothest, far more so than the 36th or BB's.

18. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

You know, I posted earlier in this thread that I thought the two were pretty comparable, but I practiced with my 36 anniversary-loaded guitar last night, and it really is clearer than the BB. Better single note articulation, not quite as dark as the BB guitar.