1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Bush Glycerine – What Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LesMesa, May 19, 2011.

1. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

Cheesy question I know.

I heard this song on the radio the other day and was trying to peg what amp was being used for that overdriven sound. Not that I think it would be particularly hard to reproduce but at times I thought it was a Vox and then I thought maybe it’s a 5E3. Completely different amps, I know. I'm going to go with Tweed Fender.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4hi_YnX7tw

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Good question, great song.

3. germs

germs Member

there's something out there i read that stuck with me where the entire Sixteen Stone album was recorded with Gavin's strat, Deluxe Reverb (or similar), and a few pedals.

4. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

I could agree with cranked Deluxe Reverb. There seems to be more low end in the sound than I would expect to hear from a DR, which is why I had thought Tweed over Blackface.

5. DavidLM

DavidLM Member

I remember Bush being big users of Marshall JCM 900's and early Mesa Dual Rectifiers. Live both guitarists almost always had either of those.

In the studio, who knows? But that song doesn't sound like a Deluxe Reverb or Vox or Tweed to me. Sounds like a high gainer turned down a bit.

6. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

I am pretty sure it is a dual rec...

7. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

any amp with gain....seriously

8. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

9. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I always heard it was a 900 mic'd close enough to get a lot of proximity effect.

10. Fendegibs

Fendegibs Member

Definitely a dual rec on stage with an EH big muff for the added gain at the end. In studio...no idea

11. dissident52

dissident52 Member

I heard that he always used a Bixonic Expandora. Not sure what amp though.

12. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I've had it stuck in my head that it was a Mesa Boogie Tremoverb? When I had mine, I could nail that tone.

13. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

That sounds like an EH Big Muff to me. I was pretty sure they used them as well.

14. lonetone483

lonetone483 Member

I use to be a bigger Bush fan yearso than I am now but still think they are a great band....either way, I followed them around for a while and viewed hundreds of live performances and read a lot of magazine articles. Main track is a Mesa Tremoverb with a Fender Jazzmaster. (if I remember correctly the Bixonic Expandora was added in that middle part although the big muff was used quite a bit on that album as well) Second guitar was the tremoverb i believe with Nigel's stratocaster with Lace Sensors in it. I believe it had a blue in the neck, silver in the middle and red in the bridge. I don't believe Bush started using heavily Vintage Fender and various amps until their second album Razorblade Suitcase ( i recall them stating they were quite fond of the Mesa Blue Angel amp) and even then the Tremoverb was always still in there. Hope this helps

15. Multimoto

Multimoto Member

This is it exactly..

16. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

I've gotten really close to that sound with a silverface Champ and a Russian Muff (with the fuzz down and the volume cranked). I think I was using a Strat with Lace sensors too.

17. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Cry but it was a Mesa Dual Rectifier TOV