Businesses taking advantage of the elderly...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by o0Ampy0o, May 28, 2015.

1. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Of course this is a gear forum but I am looking to different places for general information and experience with this.

My father is in his mid eighties and after a stroke has memory problems. He is hit with solicitors through his mail, at his front door and on the television stations commonly accessed by the elderly like himself. He doesn't answer his phone, good and bad.

Some salesman got him to sign a contract to have solar put in. What does an 80 year old man need with solar? He cannot even figure out the correct date to write out a check let alone make a sound decision to have this work done. It would be blatantly obvious to everyone that he was not up to the task. This company took advantage of him.

I just learned of it today. I have power of attorney and contacted to company instructing them to stop. I don't know what they have done yet. I will be going by there Friday and taking pictures.

They told my brother in law they plan to bill my father and hold him to the contract.

I will probably have to prove mental incapacity in court. At this point I don't know. He has cancer and doesn't want treatment so his health is not going to last.

Any experiences to share or recommendations?

2. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Contact an attorney.

3. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Contact an attorney. That bears repeating.

4. Brazen

Brazen Member

Contact an attorney. That bears repeating again.

5. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Contact the kind of attorney that will rip your heart out through your (not quite sure what the new TGP will allow me to type so I'll just say) unit.

6. reade

reade Member

7. pbmw

pbmw Member

Contact your State Attorney General.

8. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

....sickens me, goodluck Opie.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

A "financial planner" in Florida sold my MIL, among other bad things, an annuity that wouldn't have matured until she was 96.

He designated his wife as the caregiver for her twin sister, she was paid $100/day and rarely, if ever showed up.

We met this guy on a visit down there, and my skin crawled the moment I saw him. Sort of a cross between Eddie Haskell and Mr. Haney.

He had her and her sister convinced he walked on water and they were very stubborn, so they paid the price I guess, but man was this guy a snake.

10. jhc

jhc Senior Member

I knew this guy who practiced elder law, but he switched to representing criminals like bad cops and meth dealers, so I'm afraid I'm no help.

Seriously, no real advice but I wish you luck. Is there any chance the solar is a good idea, increases property value but won't a huge financial burden? I'm guessing that's overly hopeful?

11. Jay K

Jay K Member

That was going to be my advice also. More specifically many if not most states have a Division of Consumer Affairs or Fraud (or some variant of that name) within the State Attorney General's office. On a much less important matter I once reported an incident to my State's Consumer Affairs Division (via a complaint form they had on their website) and they got right on it and solved the problem. Although there likely is a lot of variability in their effectiveness not only among States, but also among individuals working in the same office, it is cost-free and might help solve the problem.

The problem with going to an attorney is the fees might exceed what would be saved. But that might be an option if the State Attorney General's office is not helpful and if you can find an attorney who could help you in a cost-effective manner.

12. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

I'm gonna start a business to eliminate those who defraud the elderly

13. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Thank you to everyone! I appreciate the comments. I am currently looking for legal advice from sources that deal with elder law.

I am thinking if this went to court and we won this company would have to pay the legal fees. It is something to research. Maybe this is not how things work. I thought the loser pays but it may depend on the type of case or the court???? Hopefully a lawyer will be interested in handling the case and only getting paid if we win.

"Elder law" a springboard for research.......thank you.

My father is the sole occupant and owner. My parents divorced, he got the house and he did not remarry. He probably doesn't have more than two years left to live. The house is in a reverse mortgage. When he dies neither my sister nor I plan to buy the house so the lender will sell it. If the realtor pitched the solar feature right there is a chance it could prove advantageous. But in the short time he would live with it any utility savings will not come close to its installation cost.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  14. jhc

jhc Senior Member

It might not have been obvious, but my first sentence was an attempt at a humorous reference to "Better Call Saul".

My real point was that it's not clear to me that hiring a lawyer will be more cost effective compared to the net cost of installation of the solar panels minus utility savings and any further increased value to the property when it is sold. Not to mention the additional stress of dragging your father to court and having him declared mentally competent (if indeed that is what it will take). If winning the moral battle is the only issue, that might not matter, but I imagine that's not the only consideration. I really don't have great advice, but the advice in posts 7 and 11 seem to me like a good place to start. In any case, I'm sorry you are in this situation and I hope you can resolve it to your satisfaction.

15. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

OK thanks I did not recognize the line. I watched each episode of Breaking Bad and liked that character but I have not seen the Saul series.