Busted Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by buzzdog, Apr 4, 2005.

1. buzzdog

buzzdog Member

Last time I switched speakers in my Fender DRRI I let one of the sharp screws puncture the speaker. Well, it didn't cause any trouble for the next few gigs, but recently it's started to buzz. Do I need to re-cone the whole deal or can I do some kind of patch job here?

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

It's worth trying to patch I suppose but if you do, patch it from behind if you can reach it from behind. Use a piece of paper sack and a small amount of super glue and see what happens.

I did that exactly one time and the speaker still sounddd good but I did give it away. A Blue Dog too :mad:

3. buzzdog

buzzdog Member

That's a creative solution. Thanks for the suggestion! I too have given away a blue, and that was a sad day too. (course the amp just wasn't working out so it had to go)

4. aeolian

aeolian Member

Superglue is very brittle. There are special industrial formulations that are used for voice coil attachment and such, but still wouldn't work very well in a flexing environment like the middle of a cone.

The old school (or "ghetto" as my kids call it) way was with tissue/toilet paper and white glue. Usually on the face of the cone but sometimes on both sides.

Actually, I know a young, starving bass player who kept his 2-10 SWR going for a couple of years by reworking the speaker surrounds this way every few months.

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

Yep...direct from Ted Weber...Elmers glue and tissue paper...saturate the tisse paper with the glue...smooth out all wrinkles and let dry...do 5 layers...if the tear happens in the doping material...first remove the doping material with acetone and then do the above proceedure...

Chow,
    Seegs