But for heavy gain, is not the Semi hollow or hollow body better in most ways?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue4Now, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Odd thread perhaps, but a topic I wonder about. Unless you are looking to avoid feedback, you could argue that semi-hollows and hollow body guitars sound better, provide more interaction with the player and are more resonant (assuming thats a good thing)

thoughts?

2. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Sure, if you want that Ted Nugent thing happening. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve.

3. PhilF

PhilF Member

Dave Grohl has used the same semi hollow for every foo fighters record. I don't even see how semi hollows would be that much different than solidbodies. They're essentially a small solidbody with a thin acoustic glued on the sides.

I highly doubt body resonance is directly related to a good guitar sound when under high gain. From personal experience they seem to just roll a little high end off.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I don't like it for the same reason I don't like real lightweight solid bodies. It always sounds like a lower resonant frequency and I don't like that slow response. To me anyhow. Well Alex Lifeson sure made it work tho'.

5. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

One of the fellas in Daath uses PRS hollowbodies. I use Carvin Holdsworths for high gain stuff. So it's definitely doable under large amounts of aggressive gain. Alex Lifeson and Ritchie Blackmore used to use 335s. Porl Thompson of The Cure and Billy Duffy of The Cult have used hollowbodies as well. I personally like that woody, resonant sound. You probably trade a little punch, and maybe a bit of high end, but if that's your tonal goal, it's certainly a viable option.

I wouldn't say it's better, but it's different enough of a sound that I can see people having a preference.

6. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I disagree 100% based on my experiences. I have both and play with all gain levels and including high gain.

7. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have 3 semi-hollows and thats what I play 90% of the time...they are just more verstile than my les paul or sg imo...