But....it's a Larrivee

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PaulS2, Aug 3, 2008.

1. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

I've been going into my local guitar store probably once a week for the longest of time and a month or so ago noticed three Larrivee RS-4's just hanging there.

Another acoustic maker venturing into electric guitars...though, Larrivee has been there before - I didn't give them much thought. Looked sort of a cross between a Gretsch Duo-jet and a fat peanut, not my favorite guitar shape.

The following week I noticed them still there and decided to pick one up - not interested but sort of curious. I was surprised at how consistent they were guitar to guitar and acoustically were really quite nice.... but, who would buy an electric from them?

The following week I picked them up again and plugged one it - had done a little research on the web and found the build quality and hardware was top notch stuff. I love Lollar Imperials so if they were smart enough to put them in the guitar and maker has to have something going for them besides it played great and sounded even better....but, it's a Larrivee with a peanut shaped body!:)

A couple more visits and just fell in love with the guitars - I tried to resist but failed. I picked the best of the 3 - really a tough choice as all 3 were great guitars and each had something unique to offer. So I got past not having "Gibson" on the head-stock as it is somewhat of an LP knock-off but with it's own thing and I also started to really like peanuts! I got the amber finished one:

http://www.larriveeelectrics.com/01_TheModelRS4/01_Specifications/specifications.html

Everything about the Larrivee RS-4 is great...the price is a steal for what you get.

It was nice to take the time to find out about the guitar, play a few and get past the non-traditional head-stock and just get a guitar because it was a great guitar.

Now, hopefully a few months from now I feel the same way and am not trying to sell a non-traditional head-stocked guitar for peanuts:)

2. ManliusGuitar

ManliusGuitar Member

It is a little funny looking, but I liked what I heard when I got to play one! Plus the fit and finish was top-notch. I am a little concerned on the resale value, not sure how it will hold up price....

mick

3. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

They made electrics in the 80s as well. It's not new to them they just picked it back up. I lust for an LC-10.

4. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

Without a doubt, there are so many 'named' solid bodied guitars avaiable it would be a bit of a hard sell used. That was the last point I had to get past but the guitar was too good to pass by for that reason alone.

I've never owned a mahogany 25.5 inch scaled guitar before - smooth and warm but with great clarity. The Lollars have a crispness to them too which contributes to the overal definition and articulation of the guitar. With the quality wiring harness and excellent electronics, this is one of the first guitars I've owned where turning down the tone control is ultimately useable to get a soft vintage warmth.

It is such a pleasure to use a production electric guitar in which all of the electronics actually work the way they should. Where the tone control is actually a tone control, and sounds musical, and not a mud control.

5. phatster

phatster Member

I love Larrivee acoustics so I'm reading your post with interest.I think you did well as it comes down to what you like and what is the cost.THAT GUITAR HAS ALL THE FEATURES ANYONE WOULD DESIRE IN A KEEPER.I buy guitars with the idea I will flip em if I don't like,this means I need to get a good price to stay ahead in the game.Give me a ballpark price.

6. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

That's what made me keep coming back - everything about it was what I would do if I wanted to make changes despite it playing great and sounding amazing.

I paid just a little over $2200 for it new. About a thousand+ under what a traditional Custom Shop head-stock would charge but without all of the hardware upgrades I would insist on.

7. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

I went to their site, a very classy looking guitar. I'll have to play one sometime, seems like they're serious about making a good electric. They're made in Canada, I'd presume by people earning decent wages. Are they on the heavy or light side?

8. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I was looking at these also . .but they are 25.5 scale are they not ? I'd want an LP scale length. Anyone know the radius ? My Larrivee acoustic has a 21 radius and the neck is wonderful and fast.

9. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I first heard of Larrivee back in the mid eighties when a few buddies got solidbody electrics. They were relatively cheap and looked really good. I also had friends that worked in the factory in Vancouver. I didn't pay any attention to them until twenty years later when someone told me they make acoustics and they were considered nice. Mentally, I had always thought of them as better version of Godin.

10. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

These are made in the US - why, I'm not sure as their acoustics are made in Canada. Could be sub-contracted out?

All of the three I played were about the same - about 8 pounds. Just right nd nicely balanced.

11. phatster

phatster Member

Thats a tough price point....a good example of a deal I made recently was getting a new Rory Gallagher strat for 1900 US,it should not depreciate at the that price.Just sayin...

12. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Played the new larrivee electric at the dallas guitar show, it is a great guitar, love the lollar imperials, I have a larrivee acoustic that I love, the new electric is a real winner.

13. diamonddavewv

diamonddavewv Member

Larrivee recently relocated most of their operations from British Colombia to Oxnard, Calif. There is a good article about the company in the latest Fretboard Journal.

14. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

that is weird looking. nice, but the shape is weird.

15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

How about the upper fret access compared to a Les Paul?

16. XKnight

XKnight Member

Congrats and enjoy! It does resemble a peanut.:)

[​IMG]

17. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

Yeah, me and Mr. Peanut are having a good time!

Actually after about a day of having it, any attention on it not looking perfect went away - I'm starting to really like the look and shape of it.

One thing which still blows me away is the quality of all aspects of the guitar - from sound, playability to materials with fit and finish - top flight everywhere. And in a production guitar to boot!

I like tha fact Larrivee went a little different with the 25.5 scale - in a mahogany guitar, it really has a unique sound which isn't just an imitation of an LP.

18. majordelt

majordelt Member

I hear great things about it. Frankly the 25.5 scale length concerns me a bit. How big are the frets?

19. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

I completely understand about the look:) - on the web, in a photo they actually look closer to 'homely' than any other production guitar I've seen. Kept me from playing them initially but in person, they actually look quite cool and unique.

Mine is sitting right beside my R6 and it holds it's own visually - frets? About the same size an my R6 but a touch taller.

In the land of guitars there is no right and wrong as long at it strums and sound comes out one end.

I'm still amazed at how many great guitars we get to choose from these days!

20. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Ironically, In Vancouver where Larrivee's mother shop is, I have yet to see one of these.