But that TONE though! (John Mayer's New Single)

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
So they go to this much trouble to do a straight copy of a very specific time soundwise and visually and then use guitars that are completely out of place? The fact that he’s not playing a Kramer/Jackson/Charvel or even something period like a Valley Arts or pre-jem Ibanez is bizarre. I get that he‘s not going to play a lace sensor strat and he’s proud of his sig guitars but it’s like watching a 60s Tour de France movie and someone rides up on a Trek.

Levi Gonzalez

So they go to this much trouble to do a straight copy of a very specific time soundwise and visually and then use guitars that are completely out of place? The fact that he’s not playing a Kramer/Jackson/Charvel or even something period like a Valley Arts or pre-jem Ibanez is bizarre. I get that he‘s not going to play a lace sensor strat and he’s proud of his sig guitars but it’s like watching a 60s Tour de France movie and someone rides up on a Trek.
True but there is quite possibly some PRS contractual stuff that we don't know about. I wouldn't be surprised if he got paid pretty good for using his PRS strat

Chronic Fatigue

Did he borrow the exact keyboard Toto used on "Africa"? People in the other thread said it sounds like 80s Clapton over a Toto song. Sometimes I read a description of music and think I don't hear it. In this case, it's an exact description.

It's not bad, though. Could use more guitar, imo.

somecafone

It’s definitely got that 80s Clapton/Steve Winwood/Toto/girl from Abba whose solo record was produced by Phil Collins-vibe to it.

But is the tone the best part?
It does sound like he’s riding the volume knob for fills, so it’s effective in that regard.
All in all, pleasant if not earth-shattering.

Trending Topics