But that TONE though! (John Mayer's New Single)

dito

Greta Van Fleet, as much as I hated them at first, just delivered an epic rock album that matches (and exceeds as a complete work) many of the bands albums they are compared to - I was shocked how good it was… it’s serious/powerful but still positive/clean and weighty (yes, it can be done) so reviving a sound/era is good if your committed to it
Love Greta and agree: their last album is just epic!

Said that, I don't think they are aiming for an specific era (try not to think about the clothes, I know it is hard). Not as declared as JM is with that song.

Listen to "Broken Bells" and tell me it isn't an original tune. Man, it's brilliant!

As for JM I'll reserve my thoughts to after I hear the hole album. The single is never his best music of the album, IMHO. But he has aways some amazing ones that just shine over the roof. Like "Walt Grace Submarine Test".

GG2k2k

I agree this tune is cotton candy and can't hold my interest compared to the 1st four "substantive" releases when he had something to prove. This is a man comfortable with his place in the biz and most importantly, comfortable in his skin. We've seen him become less self conscious and self examining and has the luxury of just doing anything he damn well pleases. Good for him.

What's really interesting to me, is that after two decades he endures as embarrassingly fertile territory for long impassioned TGP threads.
It was Carl Jung who is credited with this little insight: “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves”
“Comfortable in his own skin” for sure… or one could ask if he’s subconsciously avoiding the near impossible task of trying to create something “important” after Continuum (or Born & Raised which I consider to be equally as consequential). I mean, anyone can create fun pop tunes but very few can create a Continuum or Born/Raised … why not create things of substance rather than remake an 80’s one hit wonders tribute album of sorts? Obviously, he can do what he wants and knows how to remain relevant much more than I do but …I guess I want more from JM because I know he’s capable of it but he’s not going there for whatever reason… (like Michael Jordan winning a championship then deciding to just be a role player from then on) not to be too critical because it ain’t easy and I’m certainly not doing it so I’ll take what’s given and still enjoy it.

DrProgNerd

To each his/her own. That was pretty generic. The whole time I was thinking "well maybe the good part is coming up soon" - then the song ended.
I've played along to YouTube backing tracks that had stronger hooks. YMMV.

Tweeker

Silver Supporting Member
“Comfortable in his own skin” for sure… or one could ask if he’s subconsciously avoiding the near impossible task of trying to create something “important” after Continuum (or Born & Raised which I consider to be equally as consequential). I mean, anyone can create fun pop tunes but very few can create a Continuum or Born/Raised … why not create things of substance rather than remake an 80’s one hit wonders tribute album of sorts? Obviously, he can do what he wants and knows how to remain relevant much more than I do but …I guess I want more from JM because I know he’s capable of it but he’s not going there for whatever reason… (like Michael Jordan winning a championship then deciding to just be a role player from then on) not to be too critical because it ain’t easy and I’m certainly not doing it so I’ll take what’s given and still enjoy it.
Yeah, it's not unreasonable to want more of what we consider the good stuff from artists that still can. I've never experienced this, so I don't know what it's like, but we've seen plenty of artists try to repeat the miracle of their initial successes. But sustained successes like his must provide a secure platform and validation that there's no need to compete with yourself. FWIW, I saw Mayer live when he played in his blues trio format in 2007 and was sooooo disappointed. But my expectation was the singer-songwriter guy and he was already comfortable enough to play what he wanted! My loss! I listen to that trio now and really dig the playing.

This is interesting territory for me, especially as a songwriter. I struggle to finish my own songs that feel "too easy" or "sound like something I did before". But I know that's the sabotage of the inner editor/ego/critic. I want to believe I'm creating something unique and interesting every time when pure honest expression is all that's required. YMMV.

bobcs71

I like it! Pretty decent pop-rock song IMO.

Definitely Toto/Clapton influenced. I can still hear Mayer's own pop sound in it. As an 80s kid I'm glad he's keeping that relevant. At the same time I feel old realizing his 80s throwback is just like the 50s throwbacks were in the 80s (see Huey Lewis, Billy Joel' Tell her about it and lots of leather jackets).

The SS & Soldano/2R tone is cool. It is a bit different than EC's tone on Forever Man. I think EC only used the 1st channel on the Soldano (a trick Warren Haynes later used to good effect).

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I was talking with my wife about this the other day. Is Tom Morello the last guy to really do something original on guitar?
Style-wise is a challenge.

Tone-wise is even more so. Are you talking Tom's use of the whammy pedal?

Style-wise is a challenge.

Tone-wise is even more so. Are you talking Tom's use of the whammy pedal?
Yeah I guess I’m talking a little of both when we’re talking Morello. The techniques, the sounds he used, more or less trying to make his guitar not sound so guitar-y. He’s just the last one I remember thinking “Wait...what is that???”

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I guess I’m talking a little of both when we’re talking Morello. The techniques, the sounds he used, more or less trying to make his guitar not sound so guitar-y. He’s just the last one I remember thinking “Wait...what is that???”
I remember Vai using it before Tom but Tom certainly helped create his style with it.

Very unique and fit that band really well.

LEW

I heard exactly what Machnes heard.
Toto's "Africa" and Claptons "No Alibis"

I remember Vai using it before Tom but Tom certainly helped create his style with it.

Very unique and fit that band really well.
I think the difference between Tom and EVH is you didn’t have a bunch of copy-cats a year later doing faux guitar record scratch noises on the radio. And thank God for that :)

petty1818

I think it was a good move on Mayer's part to put out a catchy, upbeat tune. When I first heard it, I had the same reaction as many. I just thought it was trying to cash in on the latest 80's sounding trend. However, the song is stuck in my head so that's a good thing. I quite like it.

My wife heard it for the first time the other day and was also happy to see some more upbeat Mayer. I am not sure why, but John Mayer isn't on the radio here much so maybe this tune will change that.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
A solid pop, overproduced radio hit.
I like the players on the record - the tones they bring to the table, the composition is brilliant for gen-pop.

This scenario is interesting as "Is TGP, the audience for this song?"
I'd say for the majority? Unlikely =)

Also hes a dick for pushing up the price on Soldano, PRS, and TR amps ;)

Tweeker

Silver Supporting Member
Listened to it again and figured something.

The band "minorized" the very last chords so he coud fit the final solo better.
Not to get picky, but the band played IV-V (major) chords over the bass pedaling the IV to the end. No minors were allowed in this vamp(must have been an age requirement - Mayer dates older women now).;)

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
I like it! Pretty decent pop-rock song IMO.

Definitely Toto/Clapton influenced. I can still hear Mayer's own pop sound in it. As an 80s kid I'm glad he's keeping that relevant. At the same time I feel old realizing his 80s throwback is just like the 50s throwbacks were in the 80s (see Huey Lewis, Billy Joel' Tell her about it and lots of leather jackets).

The SS & Soldano/2R tone is cool. It is a bit different than EC's tone on Forever Man. I think EC only used the 1st channel on the Soldano (a trick Warren Haynes later used to good effect).
I'm hearing more of a Clapton's 'Pretending' tone: