But that TONE though! (John Mayer's New Single)

b3john

As a once-owner of a Prophet5, I’d be OK if I never heard one again. It made it difficult for me to listen to the other parts in that song. Everything I don’t miss about ‘80s music. As always, YMMV.

don550

Silver Supporting Member
The thing about this song is that It's got 11 Pages of discussion going on.. John Mayer is not everyone cup of tea but there is no doubt that he can light a fire on a guitar and play some tasty licks with the best of them. He's out there entertaining and getting endorsement deals and playing guitar to the masses.. Who doesn't want a slice of that fame?

meterman

...For anyone who isn't all that familiar with his music, it can seem like John is a chameleon, but I don't think so. I think he's a full on revivalist. All of his albums since Battle Studies (and possibly before) have had passages in tunes that are outright homages to some of his musical heroes. There's pretty overt progressions and production bits that evoke very specific artists: The Beatles, Neil Young, Don Henley, Tom Petty, CSN&Y, etc.

I think it's been a part of John's art for a while now to keep these vibes alive while bringing his own voice to each of these styles. Not so much about copying, but keeping each of these traditions of music alive and updated. And I think that's valid. Just because the 70's has passed doesn't mean that nobody should be making 70's style music in the current day. There's still a market for it, but few are making it. Same with 80's soft rock. Or any genre that has existed in the past. Fans of these genres deserve to have new content with these aesthetics and not be confined to the limited number of old recordings to get their fix of these old vibes. For many it's nostalgic and comforting to be connected to a tradition that happened before they were born, much in the way that Gypsy Jazz or Jump Blues are still living traditions with artists making new recordings in these styles, even though their prime of cultural relevance is long in the past.

John does this in his own way, with his own voice. Its a strange blend to be sure, but for those who have a wide pallet of tastes and love multiple eras of music, it's a very cool and interesting thing to do.
I hear the same thing, but to me it seems more derivative than "revivalist". Like he's got his SRV-sounding stuff, his DMB-sounding stuff, his Dylan hat phase, and now his Forever Man phase. There was even one song that sounded just like U2 in there at some point. I agree he's talented but it all seems so contrived and inauthentic to me. My wife likes him, my bandmates all like him, I just can't get into it. Granted I'm just a surface listener but never heard anything that made me want to dig deeper.

Fred Correnti

He’s one artist who’s persona live is very much different than his recordings. Live, he leans on guitar driven blues much more. Nice to see him integrate some tasteful Clapton-like solos.

bobcs71

I'm hearing more of a Clapton's 'Pretending' tone:

If Mayer used the what (or mid boost?) he'd have it.
Who's the female back-up singer? Maren Morris? She's good!
Yup. She is. He performed with her at some show a while back. I think they compliment each other well even if I like that other guy who played guitar for her a little better, Jason... uh Isabella or something? :stir

I hear the same thing, but to me it seems more derivative than "revivalist". Like he's got his SRV-sounding stuff, his DMB-sounding stuff, his Dylan hat phase, and now his Forever Man phase. There was even one song that sounded just like U2 in there at some point. I agree he's talented but it all seems so contrived and inauthentic to me. My wife likes him, my bandmates all like him, I just can't get into it. Granted I'm just a surface listener but never heard anything that made me want to dig deeper.
When JM was first brought to my attention, I could hear him play Hendrix & SRV licks. I didn't like him because I knew where all those came from. Another guitarist told me "Yea, he stole the same licks you did but did it better". Yup. Guilty as charged. I think his less derivative stuff is his pop stuff like Gravity.

boot

I'd love to hear them.

I can't remember the last time I heard an original tone on guitar.
Yup... That would have to be Jack White. Preceded only by Edward Van H. Preceded only by Jimi H.
I totally get what you're saying tho'-
"They" say -back in THEIR day, just before OUR day- piano players were as abundant and numerous as guitar players are today. How do you "get YOUR sound" out of those same old 88's as the next guy - unless you're like Jerry Lee Lewis, banging everything in octaves and then pushing it right off the stage! Point being: even if you wanna make a new kind of omelet, you STILL gotta break them eggs!!!

JeffK

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds like a So out-take. I admit I skipped around a little but I heard him play like 8 notes on the electric? Not really what I was expecting given his reputation.

t***9

Gold Supporting Member
Yep, that’s 100% that Soldano and chorus Clapton sound. Which, I admit, has always been a guilty pleasure. I’ve been trying for years to fit that tone into my own recordings :D
I thought there was some phaser and/or vibe in his tone more than a chorus.

Dashface

I thought there was some phaser and/or vibe in his tone more than a chorus.
If he's doing it the Clapton way (and he is a big nerd, so I wouldn't be surprised), that would be chorus all day.

That type of chorusing can sound a little vibey and phased because it's not super watery.

t***9

Gold Supporting Member
If he's doing it the Clapton way (and he is a big nerd, so I wouldn't be surprised), that would be chorus all day.

That type of chorusing can sound a little vibey and phased because it's not super watery.
And which Chorus specifically are you thinking of?

t***9

Gold Supporting Member
wait, you're seriously asking arm-crossed middle-aged/old dudes who hate EVERYTHING to be happy about anything?

this is TGP; where everything anyone tries to create sucks in some way.

(i really like the vibe and tone and tune)
Yea, like a bit too British imo.

Dashface

And which Chorus specifically are you thinking of?
I use an old CE-2 to get this tone all day. Sounds killer.

Clapton used to use the coveted Tri-Stereo Chorus, though from what I can tell he used a CE-2 on Saturday Night Live appearances etc. I would bet my bottom dollar that Mayer, being a huge Clapton nerd and having essentially unlimited gear money, probably used a Tri-Stereo Chorus.