But that TONE though! (John Mayer's New Single)

+NRG

Seems to me like this is the perfect time for a pop song with a little guitar thrown in and a side of nostalgia from a simpler time. With all that we've been through over the past year, it's the perfect time for some 'fast food' / 'lite fare' / summer songs to help us forget about reality for a few minutes!

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
it’s like watching a 60s Tour de France movie and someone rides up on a Trek.
I had a similar thought, the pink Soloist might've nailed the vibe a little better for sure.

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
Yup... That would have to be Jack White. Preceded only by Edward Van H. Preceded only by Jimi H.
I'll add Tom Morello to that list, just to watch the inevitable TGP meltdown... :stir

rawkguitarist

No disappointment here. TGP comes through on the JM thread again.

Seems like many have their mind made up and get wrapped around the wheels focusing on what my be "influenced" or worse "derivative". ALL MUSIC IS derivative.

This tune in my opinion is an example of a great song. There is purposeful homage to 80's Clapton and I hear Steve Winwood in there too. Sit back and listen to what this song is... its a well crafted pop song. The vocal phrasing, including tasteful timing/rhythm and lyrics are great. Its full of great hooks - like the change up after the second chorus and Maren Morris joining in.

Although Mayer is actually a great guitar player, I could really care less what he plays as long is it supports his songs. His SONGS are what he shines at. And I dare say he has a large catalog of great songs. Some dogs for sure too... I hope there are more songs like Last Train Home on the new album. The other 3 on the pre-order list are not his best IMO.

Dig what you dig. But try to simply listen to this music and other music for the big picture. The whole package as if you aren't a guitar player... It might give you that cool emotional draw music gave us before we could play it and analyze individual parts.

Tim Nash

I think he's spent so much time looking back at music that came before him that he's no longer able to look forward. There's nothing wrong with that though, but you end up with songs like this.

jackson

No disappointment here. TGP comes through on the JM thread again.

Seems like many have their mind made up and get wrapped around the wheels focusing on what my be "influenced" or worse "derivative". ALL MUSIC IS derivative.

This tune in my opinion is an example of a great song. There is purposeful homage to 80's Clapton and I hear Steve Winwood in there too. Sit back and listen to what this song is... its a well crafted pop song. The vocal phrasing, including tasteful timing/rhythm and lyrics are great. Its full of great hooks - like the change up after the second chorus and Maren Morris joining in.

Although Mayer is actually a great guitar player, I could really care less what he plays as long is it supports his songs. His SONGS are what he shines at. And I dare say he has a large catalog of great songs. Some dogs for sure too... I hope there are more songs like Last Train Home on the new album. The other 3 on the pre-order list are not his best IMO.

Dig what you dig. But try to simply listen to this music and other music for the big picture. The whole package as if you aren't a guitar player... It might give you that cool emotional draw music gave us before we could play it and analyze individual parts.
People are coming at this from different perspectives. The OP was talking about tone, which is only a guitar player thing. The tone and playing sound almost like Clapton, so some of us slag him because he doesn't have his own thing. Sounds great, but, nothing spectacular or new. His songs and singing are a different discussion.

timmytVA

Gold Supporting Member
To quote The Hold Steady: "I survived the 80s one time already / And I don't recall them all that fondly"

IMHO
YMMV
Etc

Tim

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
IDK. I kind of like the retro 80s vibe of the tune. And the tone sounds fine. Although I don't think I actually heard much guitar until 0:48.

ClickClack

That 10-minute video segment is excerpted from an instructional video from around 1990 or so, that was devoted ENTIRELY to avant-garde and experimental approaches to guitar. A lot of folks really seem to like leaping to the conclusion that, just because avant-garde/experimental musicians are deliberately working with unconventional techniques, effects, and musical genres, that must mean they don't actually know how to play. That kind of narrow mindset gets rather tedious.

Trending Topics