But that TONE though! (John Mayer's New Single)

guitarzan33

This track reminds me of Clapton's "Journey Man" album (his best album/cd to date). Journey Man has much more tone though. Clapton is (IMO) a much better guitarist than Mayer will ever be...

Last edited:

dazco

Yeah, 80s clapton tone and overall sound. Much prefer his older tone when he was using fenders. I really like mayer, but nothing he's done for several years now. He and brad paisley seem to have lost their initial greatness and sold out or lost the writing or tone....or all of it. Guess thats what happens after you make it and lose that initial hungry drive.

Core Creek

Silver Supporting Member
I listened to the single a few times yesterday and it was stuck in my head all night while sleeping. I’m still disappointed that there isn’t at least a bridge. The song clocks in at 3 minutes…. is music unable to hold someone’s attention any longer than that??

Speaking of bridges…. Matt Scannel from Vertical Horizon is the king of writing a killer bridge. Any Mayer fans should check out Vertical Horizon’s Echoes from the Underground album. Here’s a killer track with an amazing bridge:

Perhaps a little less guitar-centric, but awesome stuff…

Here’s one with more guitar:

gonzoknife

Gold Supporting Member
This wasn't my thing in the 80s and isn't now. I don't know why anyone would want to recreate one of the most boring, bland musical products of the era. If it wasn't for the guitar solo it would be Muzak.

squeally dan

Yeah, 80s clapton tone and overall sound. Much prefer his older tone when he was using fenders. I really like mayer, but nothing he's done for several years now. He and brad paisley seem to have lost their initial greatness and sold out or lost the writing or tone....or all of it. Guess thats what happens after you make it and lose that initial hungry drive.
Funny you mention Brad Paisley. I was just telling my wife how much I love his playing but for the past few albums, his songwriting has become predictable and boring. Seems he now has his proven formula and sticks to it. Sounds like the same song over and over. Also, lyrics that used to come off as kinda clever but now just corny. I’d like to check you for ticks?

gonzoknife

Gold Supporting Member
Funny you mention Brad Paisley. I was just telling my wife how much I love his playing but for the past few albums, his songwriting has become predictable and boring. Seems he now has his proven formula and sticks to it. Sounds like the same song over and over. Also, lyrics that used to come off as kinda clever but now just corny. I’d like to check you for ticks?

Paisley, Mayer and a lot of other amazing guitarists are proof that just because you're good at your instrument doesn't guarantee you're a good songwriter. They're different skills and it's very rare that someone is both.

spacevato

I'd be thrilled if these were my guitar tones....

"I Guess I Just Feel Like" ~John Mayer
I didn't listen to the whole song at first and had the impression it was an acoustic-only track. Wow, this is nice. The middle solo has great feel and tone. Not to crazy about the end solo. Would have preferred something more melodic instead of minor pentatonic licks.

DG_Griffin

I think the song is objectively well written and catchy. As is John an objectively good guitarist. There is a difference in something not being good and not being someone’s taste.

You hear so much about modern music not being played by real musicians and the lack of guitars in a lot of popular music. Then you have a superstar like John keeping the guitar relevant and people don’t like that either. I don’t get it.

fetchmybeer

Gold Supporting Member
Ooph. Soooooo 80s, and not the good part of the 80s either. "Clapton 80s" and "Toto" comparisons are valid. Keys too high in the mix and it's a key riff, not a key melody, so it's just boring to me. So much sheen and polish. All it's missing is some kind of orchestra hit or some Higher Love horns. 80s fade out too. Honestly, the whole song and video feels like a bit of an inside joke.

guitarbilly74

Silver Supporting Member
I think the song is objectively well written and catchy. As is John an objectively good guitarist. There is a difference in something not being good and not being someone’s taste.

You hear so much about modern music not being played by real musicians and the lack of guitars in a lot of popular music. Then you have a superstar like John keeping the guitar relevant and people don’t like that either. I don’t get it.
4M views in 6 days. People do like it. :)

Have you ever played a gig where everybody is having fun except 3 musicians out in the back judging you with their arms crossed in front of their Fender t-shirts?
This thread is those 3 guys x 100.

Trending Topics