• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

But that TONE though! (John Mayer's New Single)

wox

Silver Supporting Member
4M views in 6 days. People do like it. :)

Have you ever played a gig where everybody is having fun except 3 musicians out in the back judging you with their arms crossed in front of their Fender t-shirts?
This thread is those 3 guys x 100.
On Spotify, one of the new JM tracks has nearly 450 M streams in a week.

That's twice as many streams as any Van Halen track has accumulated in a decade on Spotify, except Jump which has 472 M total.

People do like it.

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
Why do you guys always try to compare John Mayer to Van Halen? How many streams does Taylor Swift have?

wox

Silver Supporting Member
Why do you guys always try to compare John Mayer to Van Halen? How many streams does Taylor Swift have?
Taylor Swift has a handful of tracks with over 500M streams, and is featured on a ZAYN track with 1.1 B streams.

I know it's not apples to apples, just sayin that's a lot of listens in a week.

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
It is a lot of listens. Why compare it to Van Halen, whose last album of new music came out in 2012?

ccpa

4M views in 6 days. People do like it. :)

Have you ever played a gig where everybody is having fun except 3 musicians out in the back judging you with their arms crossed in front of their Fender t-shirts?
4M views for Sue Ellen Mischke

bobcs71

Contrasting opinions:

As mentioned the song and tone reminded me of EC's Forever Man and Pretending. I played the JM then EC videos for me wife.

She noticed similarity in 80s hair and attire but didn't notice similarity in the guitar. She classified Mayer's playing as "relaxing California cool" and Clapton's as "this huge sound that is aggressive and as important in the song as the singing"

boot

I listened to the single a few times yesterday and it was stuck in my head all night while sleeping. I’m still disappointed that there isn’t at least a bridge. The song clocks in at 3 minutes…. is music unable to hold someone’s attention any longer than that??

Speaking of bridges…. Matt Scannel from Vertical Horizon is the king of writing a killer bridge. Any Mayer fans should check out Vertical Horizon’s Echoes from the Underground album. Here’s a killer track with an amazing bridge:

Perhaps a little less guitar-centric, but awesome stuff…

Here’s one with more guitar:

Always liked me some Vertical Horizon --- but the King of the Middle Eight...
The Late Great Tom Petty. RIP

Cap Carlos

Pretty spot on!

I used to be one of those guys... back when I was still developing my own self-esteem.

I am glad Mayer is making music even when I have never been driven to buy an album of his. Heck, I used to dislike Clapton in my teens, favoring shredders. Now I can enjoy both and look forward to challenging my own tastes.

boot

I think the song has some strong points, but it needs a real chorus.

Totally agree about the pull toward minor blues wankery on guitar. This kind of thing is one of the reasons I stopped playing guitar earlier this year. I felt trapped in the guitaristic ruts that were created by 20 years of playing guitar-oriented music.
You're absolutely right on about a chorus---
Here's the other thing:
especially since you've had a
"lay-off"--- focus on one main path to improvement, which is followed by the joy of creation of new sounds in YOUR vocabulary that are pointedly NOT minor pentatonic warblings - try stating the vocal melody on your guitar - no matter how simple it my be - and make it a perfectly phrased musical passage!
Then- try it on a different guitar!- but no minor pentatonic! Peace!

twoheadedboy

You're absolutely right on about a chorus---
Here's the other thing:
especially since you've had a
"lay-off"--- focus on one main path to improvement, which is followed by the joy of creation of new sounds in YOUR vocabulary that are pointedly NOT minor pentatonic warblings - try stating the vocal melody on your guitar - no matter how simple it my be - and make it a perfectly phrased musical passage!
Then- try it on a different guitar!- but no minor pentatonic! Peace!
Thanks very much for this. I appreciate it. I should probably say that I stopped playing guitar to focus on piano, which is my main instrument. I'm much more fluent and literate on piano than I am on guitar, and I don't have many frustrating ruts on piano.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom