Butane Soldering Irons?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jzucker, Feb 13, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I bought one of these a few weeks ago:

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=255266

I thought it was the bee's knees but then after a couple weeks of light use, the flow valve no longer works. I replaced the orifice with a new one but it still has the same problem. What happens is that the gas will flow for about 30 seconds and then stop and then of course, the thing goes out.

Anyone else use one of these and have better luck? I'm trying to decide whether to get a replacement or just send it back for a refund.

2. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Replacement first, if the second one has the same problems, then
    get your money back. I've never used one though. Are you using it for automotive use?

If you are doing real soldering, then nothing beats a real temp
    controlled iron. Don't waste your money for a portable "cold solder"
    hand held unit either, you know the kind "AS SEEN ON TV".

If you must have a portable, then nothing beats the BernzOmatic
    ST900 Propane Mini Torch. MAP gas gets you into silver solder
    and braising. It is pretty impressive and if you don't know what
    you are doing, you can burn up lots of stuff, so practice a lot
    on old junk radios or macintosh computer power supplies first.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

3. avwalker

avwalker Member

I've bought two butane soldering irons from radio shack......they're both broken (one leaked, the other wouldn't flow for some reason) Both sitting in a junk box right now.

My dad just got one of those cold heat soldering irons for his birthday that I'm anxious to try out........most likely I'll keep using my electric for everything. Even though it keeps me chained to the wall, it's still the most consistant thing out there.

4. Shea

Shea Member

I've used the Radio Shack butane soldering iron for tough jobs like soldering something to a chassis. The tips wear out pretty quickly - the plating comes off easily, and they can get clogged up. Still, on a few occasions it was the best tool I had for the job.

Shea

5. jbltwin1

jbltwin1 Member

I've had one in my car for two years now and it hasn't leaked yet. Built like a tank too but unfortunately, it was around $100.00! It's built for/by Snap On which is automotive tools and they have to build things to hold up under the abuse that we put them through(yeah, me). It's a great gun and I wouldn't be without it because this stuff only breaks at 9:15 and you go on at 9:30! Mike.

6. bob-i

bob-i Member

Years ago I had a field engineer job. At one point a manufacturing screw up put a cap backwards in a terminal so the FE's had to go out and swap them out in about 500 terminals. I went through about 15-20 of the butane irons over a years time. They just don't hold up. Radio Shaft got to know what I was after before I walked in the door. Funny story.... A truck stop used one of these terminals as a point of sale in the Deli. One day that little cap let loose and a puff of smoke came out. Several truckers ran out to the truck and grabbed a fire extinguisher and unloaded them. It took weeks to clean up. If they'd just turned off the terminal it woulda been fine.

7. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Holy ****!

That is the funniest damn thing I've read in a long time. Thanks!

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I already have a pair of wellers. I was looking for something without a cord. This would be used for amp repairs/mods and guitar repairs/mods.