Butt splice speaker wire in cab?

HURR

Hey Guys,

I built a bass cab and had a buddy build me a Neutrik wiring harness for it. The problem is, a couple of the wires are not long enough to reach the speakers from the back of the cab when they are attached to the jack plate. Everything is soldered and hot glued so it would be very very difficult for me to remove and re wire. Can I use a butt splice for a couple of the wires to add length? Will that affect the tone, or the speakers at all? Thanks!!

zenas

One of those crimped connectors ? I don't use those on anything I give a darn about.
Problem is the ones you buy aren't always made out of the best metal and the crimp tools can be pure crap too.
At least solder the things and cover with shrink wrap.
If you loose the speakers with a cranked tube amp you maybe replacing an output transformer.

HURR

so, you mean just twist them up good and solder around the copper to keep them connected? And the wire is 12g, that isnt too thick to solder like that is it?

vr6pilot

exactly. and no, 12ga isn't too thick so long as you have a strong enough iron. Or it may just take a bit longer to heat it up enough to melt the solder. Audiophiles may care about a continuous, uninterrupted flow of oxygen-free copper to the drivers but, for this application, you just need metal from points A to B.

jdh

No to the butt splice. How to make a proper solder joint:
1. The wire must melt the solder.
2. You can melt a little bit of solder with the iron to help transfer heat, but ultimately the wire must melt the solder.
3. You will need a large iron or possibly a solder gun for 12AWG.
4. Clean the joint with flux remover followed by rubbing alcohol.
5. Your guitar and/or bass rig is just as hi fidelity as a high end stereo. Do no underestimate the results obtainable using superior fabrication skills.

vr6pilot

I agree with jdh on points 1 thru 4. Good 'how to'. But saying a bass cab is akin to a hi-fi...well, I just disagree. You've already covered all applicable measures by using the heavy wire.

Trending Topics