Buttonless Wah

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BigED, Aug 27, 2008.

1. BigED

BigED Member

I have a Morley Bad Horsie wah. I love the fact that there is no on/off button on it. As soon as you take your foot off of it, the wah is disabled. This is great for hitting the wah quickly for a quick change in sound or to add some brightness to a harmonic.

I've heard this pedal is a known tone sucker, so I've been looking to replace it, but I can't find a high quality wah that behaves in the same way. Does anyone know of another good wah pedal with this functionality?

2. Noah

Noah Member

MSD Automagic wah...to me it's 100 times better than the Bad Horsie. It has an on-off button on it, but you never have to use it if you don't want to. I bypassed the button on mine.

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

What do your ears hear? I hear no tone suck from mine.

I had one of those for a while... wanted to 'boutique up' the wah situation. It sounded very much like the newer Bad Horsie 2. No difference in tone sucking or not. The only problem is that it got scratchy fairly often and I needed to use contact cleaner for the fader / fishing line mechanism on a regular basis (every 2 weeks or so) to keep it from getting scratchy. Thank god they have that little hole in the case just for that purpose. After a couple months I asked Godlyke (distributor) if this was a common problem or if I should send it back, and I was basically told, "Well, what do you think they put that hole for spraying contact cleaner there for?". Looked really nice though and I got a lot of compliments on it! :D

IMO, use your ears and use what's best for you.

4. BigED

BigED Member

$550 for a wah? Seems a little excessive.

5. Noah

Noah Member

$550??? I got mine for 175 bucks off Ebay.

6. FaselBaby

FaselBaby Member

Dunlop 95Q is a switchless wah.

7. BigED

BigED Member

How is the 95Q as far as tone sucking?

8. novawind

novawind Member

95Q is a tone sucker. I had one for a couple years and recently sold it. There was also a small but noticable delay and volume change beteween when you take your foot off and when it actually disengages.

9. aziltz

aziltz Member

how does the switch-less feature work?

10. novawind

novawind Member

The pedal has a curved piece of metal that acts like a torsional spring to "push" the pedal back to the heel position when you take your foot off of it. There's a small rubber button (kind of like you would see on a lot of handheld electronics) that the heel presses down on instead of a normal DPDT switch.