Buy an AxeFXII, or just get a Torpedo CAB for my HD500?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Meals, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Meals

Meals Member

I know the AxeFXII is great, as I've seen it used in person with several big acts. Money isn't the issue, I just have heard that the Torpedo CAB gets the HD500 into the AxeFX territory and I am very comfortable with cranking out a good tone on the HD500 and don't know if I have the time (or patience) to learn a new setup. Can anyone with real world experience compare the HD500 with the Torpedo CAB to the AxeFX, or even Kemper?

2. dbun

dbun Member

Can't speak on the HD500 + Torpedo CAB, but having owned a HD500 and now Axe Fx II, I would take the Axe Fx any day of the week.

Even if the Torpedo CAB gets the HD500 into the same territory tone wise, I just could not dial in tones without hitting the DSP limit, which became a major frustration for me. Maybe the new HD500x is better in this regard?

3. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Get the Topedo CAB, sell the HD500, buy some good OD pedals. Save money.

If you get the Axe FX II you dont really need the TCAB, its an all in one dream machine.
    IMHO.

4. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I have a friend's HD500 here and I'm programming some basic tones for him.

While I am not playing the HD through the IRs in the AxeII, or a Torpedo Cab, I can confidently say that the core amp modeling in the HD500 is light years away from the AxeII when it comes to feel, touch response, dynamics, and edge-of-breakup tones. I don't think the IR has a lot to do with the core amp modelings ability to respond to dynamics but admit that I could be wrong. Cliff Chase has said on more than one occasion that the IR is the most important piece of the puzzle.

If effects are important to you, the effects are not even remotely close.... The Axe blows away the HD in every regard when it comes to effects as it should considering the price and the components. The HD distortions are horrible and totally unusable, IMO... YMMV

The HD/cab solution has it's advantages too. No need to an external midi controller as it will also act as a midi-controller and could be programmed to change patches on the CAB, and it will all fit on a pedalboard.

You could always go with a used Torpedo CAB first and see if that gives you the results you want.

5. randombastage

randombastage Member

I have the T CAB and HD 500x right now. I had the AxeFx IIxl.
    I've owned 3 different versions of the AxeFx starting with the Ultra. I'm on my 3rd HD500.

everytime I sell the Axe rig I get some lesser modeler to hold me over. I love modeling gear but it isnt my primary 'amp sound' so I often dump it to raise quick cash chasing some other toy...

If money is no issue get the AxeFx IIxl. No question that the T CAB with the HD500 can deliver very close to AxeFxII quality sounds....but not 'as good or better' and just getting it to the level of close is not without a lot of tweaking time involved.

If money isnt an issue then spend it because you are buying time with it, not just sound, and time is precious and not always available.

6. mikah912

mikah912 Member

If you're already "cranking out a good tone" on the HD500 with ease, why are you even asking? You're set.

7. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

If you have a DAW, just disable the HD500 cabs and run into an IR loader with some free sample IRs from RW and/or OH. That will tell you what you need to know.

IMHO, as a previous owner of an Ultra and HD500, the 500 will improve with better IRs, but will still be light years away from being an AFX.

I very much wanted to keep my 500 for its features, but could not be satisfied with it--even with external IRs. By contrast, I can very much be satisfied with my 11R plus external IRs.