Buy Boss DM-2 or wait for waza....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kylef, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Kylef

Kylef Member

I'm a delay nut. Ive always been intrigued by the DM-2 and recently I missed out on one for a good price. Ever since then I've been searching for one.

Now it's got me thinking, would I be silly to buy one when the new Waza version is coming up? I think I want it because it's original and vintage :console

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

they're overrated. there's 300ms of delay time on the original and aliasing noise creeps in after 230-300 ms. I've owned both the mn3005 and mn3205 versions and ended up flipping them for silly huge money.

for that kind of thing I found the AD-80 & AD-9 infinitely more usable, quieter and better sounding! there's also the AD-900 which is the king of straight up MN3005 chip delays. that thing buries the DM-2. as it should with 2 chips.

personally I'd wait for the waza. you'll have 600ms to play with.

3. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Vintage prices have gone nuts on those things. You can do better for the money.

4. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

exactly. the FX-90 does the same thing as the DM-2, at a quarter of the price. but no TGP cool factor. (must be that lack of....*ahem*... 'mojo')

5. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

Buy a used Retro-Sonic for about $165-170, with more features and equivalent tone. The other analog delays mentioned are right up there as well, along with the earlier Ibanez 10-series configured Delay Champ and ADL, and close relatives like the Arion SAD.

The Waza DM-2 is making friends with the Malekko 919.

6. Kylef

Kylef Member

The DM-2 is mint, and £150 ($230)
    I have 2 Boss DD's, a digital and an analogue Echodrive, Aqua Puss, Timeline, DL4, Mooer Ana Exho....and yet I'm still tempted by the DM-2 for its classic rep.

7. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

:spit

8. Serenity

Serenity Member

I think that may be the same DM-2 i nearly snapped up earlier today, but i'm waiting to check out the Waza. From what i've been seeing, it's a lower price for a DM-2 than i usually see. Seen a few DM-3's for around that price, but DM-2's are usually higher.

9. Joe Black

Joe Black Member

DM-2 is okay. I actually liked the DM-3 a little bit better...less obnoxious noise and graininess (if you will) in the repeats, so a bit more clarity, and also a little cheaper. Great "spaceship" oscillation, though, on both.

I would actually be interested to hear how the Waza sounds...used DM's can be expensive and futzed about with...people open them up to mess with a switch inside that gets you more repeats is my understanding? Also, the last DM I bought came with a battery exploded inside it (morons) that had to be scraped out. First-world, vintage effects problems, I know...

10. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

I heard February 27 for the DM-2w. We'll see...

11. phoniako

phoniako Member

I was in the same dilemma and concluded I will wait for the Waza, I don't want to contribute with the crazy over-pricing for over-hyped gear (in my humble opinion).

I had the DM-3 and liked it, I do agree there are perceivable differences between different analog delays, but in my opinion they become unnoticeable when playing, specially with a band.

12. Occam

Occam Member

Minimoog seems like a good alternative. That's what I went with when I was looking for a small analog delay.

13. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

My suggestion is wait for the Waza to be unleashed and watch the (albeit limited) market forces drive down the price of DM-2 units. There will be A/B comparisons produced in the first few days following it's availability. You will be able to assess their qualities and take advantage of lower-priced originals if you so choose.

14. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I doubt the Waza will impact market prices for a vintage 3005 DM-2 any more than the KTR drove down the prices for a vintage Centaur. But the Waza looks promising. I'd like to try one.

15. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

I think I've had a Waza on presale for like 6 months. At least. Over it.

16. Mr God

Mr God Member

I don't think the Boss DM-2W and the DM-2 are related other than inspiration, do you guys think they'll use the same circuit but just use newer bbd's and add length?

17. derekirving

derekirving Supporting Member

I owned a Boss DM2-Waza and thought it sounded pretty good - keep low mids in tact and at lower echo settings was very verb like. I sold it because I needed the funds, but now I'd like to get another one.