• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Buy more cheap pedals or less more expensive ones?

D Rock

I've been in the ladder camp lately, saving for nicer pedals such as moog and a montreal CT5.

But I've sold off a few pedals recently and with looking at buying the minifooger delay, but am realizing I could build a whole pedalboard of cheap pedals for the cost of just one moog pedal. I am almost interested enough in the idea to try it to see just how well the behringer and the likes compare. I could use the behringer analog delay and the boss VB-2 Vibrato copy for starts. Thoughts?

Memphistokid

Main gigging board I play with the expensive stuff. My backup board (still in works), not as expensive stuff. At least, that's how I'm gonna do it.....

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
You'd better get less but good stuff. There are still some pedals which are very good and not very pricey. Check devices from Chellee Guitars, Snouse Electronic, Xinsound.

Able Grip

If you budget for a pedal loop switcher so the cheap pedals won't kill you tone with tone suck when they are off. Especially if you are going to 6 or 10 of them and string them all together.

tobereleased

I like to have a bit of both. My most expensive pedal cost me more than 20 times as much as my cheapest.

I'm not so much worried about price as whether it works. If it works for what I want, and it's cheap, then great. If what I'm after requires a bit more investment, then I'll spend more.

JonSick

Definitely less more expensive stuff.

The difference between my cheaper Joyo chorus and my CE5 is huge. I can't wait for my Way Huge Blue Hippo to come through the door.

Same with the Digitech Digidelay vs the Boss DD7. The Digitech has a complete lack of low-end.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I suggest you buy based on tone, not price.

If the Moog delay is what you want, you need to get that or deal with constant longing. If you haven't had a wide variety of different delays, you might not notice much difference.

Some units are cheaper because they are good values. Some are cheap because they are… well… cheap. You'd be prudent to investigate the difference.

I have a practice board with 3 pedals- It could easily fund a new MIM strat/tele. And I'm ok with that.

WillLane

I've been in the ladder camp lately, saving for nicer pedals such as moog and a montreal CT5.

But I've sold off a few pedals recently and with looking at buying the minifooger delay, but am realizing I could build a whole pedalboard of cheap pedals for the cost of just one moog pedal. I am almost interested enough in the idea to try it to see just how well the behringer and the likes compare. I could use the behringer analog delay and the boss VB-2 Vibrato copy for starts. Thoughts?
XD It's "latter".

I'd say it's best to get budget pedals then upgrade from what you liked about the budget pedals. For example, I now know that Klones are the master race drive, so I'm going to replace my EHX Soul Food with a Chelle Ponyboy soon. Also I had an RP-155 a while back, and knew that I needed delay/reverb presets within a multi-effects, so I upgraded to the G3. But TBH neither of those ladder pedals are really that expensive, but they are both 2x more then their budget counterparts. I have a RAT that I think was modded for more gain, but I never really sat in with it's timbres. So now I'm trying something a bit more open and less compressed, the DOD Boneshaker (which is on the way) c: .

If I wanted to move up even more, I could get Strymon units like the Big Sky and Timeline. But I don't really feel the need for them. I think part of it is knowing how to use your current gear to it's maximum potential, and the G3 is plenty for me.

Last edited:

TimeSnow

Everytime I try and replace quality with quantity I regret it... If I could afford a board with 50 high quality pedals I would, but I can't... so instead I went back to a few high quality pedals... and am very happy

coltonius

Señor Member
You know, I'm not opposed to paying $200-300 for effects if they're unique or have a feature set I'm after. I'd rather spend a little extra to get exactly what I want and have a quieter, well-designed pedal.

On the other hand, I have so much love for cheap Boss overdrives lately. I have two DS-1s and an SD-1, each with $5 in mod parts, that I could gig with all day long.

The answer is both. If this hobby is your life, and you enjoy lots of gear, you should buy lots of pedals to compare, and sell those that fail the test.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
"more cheap" is "less expensive".

if you're a player or aspiring player?
buy what you love, what you believe you're gonna keep & play, & from within your price range;
if you can't afford what you think you want right now, then buy nothing, right now --- save your money for later.

if you're a happy hobbyist?
just have fun!, remembering that current or potential debt ain't fun.

Krausewitz

Just get whatever you want. If you buy smart even a board full of 'boutique' (a word I absolutely loathe) pedals isn't actually all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. I paid anywhere from $70 - $200 for most of the pedals on my board. Some are very common (MXR Carbon Copy), other rare but cheap (HBE Psilocybe), still others very pricey (Empress Tape Delay and Bogner Blue). If you want a pricier pedal wait for a sale or buy used...it is easily done.

The best advice (which has already been given) is to know what you want, why you want it, and then find a pedal that fills that gap. IF you do that and are honest with yourself about your needs and usage you won't often be disappointed.

Cgkindler

The thing that turns me off on cheaper pedals is the killing of the highs (and sometimes other frequencies) when they're not on, or even when they are on and doing the effect they're supposed to.

I wouldn't pass up on a pedal BECAUSE it's cheap, but rather if it hurt the tone I'm going for, engaged or not engaged.

I had a bottom of the line CryBaby wah.....I simply could NOT use the pedal, because when not engaged, it absolutely killed some tone. I've got a Buddah Wah now, and love it. I hardly use it, simply because I hardly use wah, but when I want to use this effect, the BW can be in the signal chain and not kill the tone.

thecornman

For myself I have a large collection of inexpensive run of the mill pedals I bought mostly used! I have a lot of a options to change things up on my band board when I feel like it. They all work great and I don't have any problem dialing any of them in to get the sounds I want. In my experience boutique and more expensive do not equal better and I just cant justify spending 200 plus on a dirt pedal when I have so many I got for a quarter of the price that to me are just as good. What other people buy and use is their choice and it is their money to do what they want with.

topo morto

The answer is both. If this hobby is your life, and you enjoy lots of gear, you should buy lots of pedals to compare, and sell those that fail the test.
Exactly. The biggest investment you really have to make is time. There will be expensive pedals that are right on the money, cheap pedals that sound and work great, expensive pedals that don't work at all for you, and cheap ones that you find dreadful too.

Just limit yourself to what's right for your budget and circumstances. If the best delay you could possibly imagine couldn't be worth, say, more than $150 to you - don't look for delays over $150.

Trending Topics