1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Buy new amp or new guitar? Help Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by g335, Feb 14, 2009.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

I have a chance now to buy a Marshall JVM or VM, or a Fender Hotrod or Deluxe, or a Mesa Stiletto Ace or a Mesa Dual Rec, or a Vox AC30cc2.

I have a Vox Ac15cc and it is a great amp, but I haven't played it that much and it is in new condition still with the sticker still on it. I want a Vox but I am thinking maybe I should buy the AC30cc2 I have been wanting one for a long while.

OR I can buy a new guitar.

What does everyone think?

2. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I think you have ADD... just kidding!

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

Of the amps you listed, I would consider the HRDX for it's clean channel and pedal platform potential. If you are buying and amp for both clean and dirty channels without pedals (amp OD) don't think about the HRDX any fruther, IMO. The drive and more drive channels, well... they suck. Sorry to be so blunt but it's the truth, unfortunately. The HRDX, as I mentioned is a killer clean amp for pedals. Of course that is my opinion only. I have heard others actually compliment the other two channels. I don't understand what they are hearing however. :huh

I have owned and used both the Mesa amps extensively. They are both great amps. The Stiletto cleans are extraordinary while the Rectifier gain edges it out. I have never played either Marshall personally but I have read mixed reviews of them both. The reviews were either of love or hate for them both.

One amp you haven't mentioned that I will suggest is the Vox AC50 It is a monster. I bought one last summer (AC50CP2: 2x12 combo) and it has proven itself to be one of the cooler amps I have ever owned. It offers the clean, crisp, dimensional, chime we've come to associate with Vox and the a gnarly gain channel in the Marshall land of tone(s) and even further with a boost or additional drive pedals. It's an extremely versatile amplifier (fat and bright switches that actually affect the tone) and has made me a fan of Vox once again. I owned an AC30 years ago but got rid of it in search of more gain - stupid - I know!!!! You cannot go wrong with a bone stock AC30 either. But, the AC50 offers more gain if you are so inclined. I cannot say enough about my amp, seriously. I highly recommend at least giving it a listen. Oh yeah, the effects loop is killer as well. I will even go so far as to say the stock 2x12s are perfect and I haven't even considered swapping them out for others or futzing around with different tubes though I imagine there is improvement potential there. I like the amp right out of the box from delivery - factory stock!!!

Sorry I can't give more detail on the Marshall pieces you mentioned. There should be plenty of YouTube vids to give you a rough impression of them both. That said, I have played/owned all the others and I can say without hesitation that the Vox is king followed closely by the Stiletto for versatility and overall quality of tone(s).

Too bad there isn't a place around you that would have them all in stock. The only way to best decide is to give them all a test drive with your favorite guitar(s).

Good luck. I will be happy to try and answer any other questions you may have about the amps I have spoken of. Feel free to contact me at any time!!!

All of that said, the only thing that can compare to a new amp day is a new guitar day - LOL!! What do you have your eye on as far as that goes? BTW, the Vox and Mesa stuff loves humbuckers - a nice, new, Les Paul is ALWAYS a good purchase.

Bill

4. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Seriously.....spend money on some lessons and time on practice . Gear is secondary to how you play and sound .

5. g335

g335 Member

Thanks for the info. I want a Les Paul type guitar and a Gretsch but cant buy both. Problem is that I need to buy a computer first(Mac) so I won't have enough to buy the amp or guitars that I really want, that is why I am settling on buying a Epiphone Wildkat or maybe a CIJ Tele. I own a 335 and Jazzmaster. The AC15cc is nice but I keep thinking about the AC30cc2 and the Mesa Stiletto as far as amps goes.

Basically I have a certain amount of money and I am torn between buying
    a) The Hotrod Deluxe or Deville and a Epiphone Wildkat
    b)Saying lets do it and spend all of my money on a Stiletto or Marshall
    c)Spending all of my money and buy the Les Paul or Gretsch.

B and C means no computer.

That is why it is hard for me to decide and also because here in Japan the stores that I go to don't always have certain amps in stock so it is hard to play and test them.

6. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

I would go with the Dual Rec & sell your Vox... Maybe use the Vox money to go towards a cool guitar.