Buy New Audio Recording PC Now, Or Wait?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by BillyBardahl, Jul 27, 2006.

1. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

Would appreciate thoughts from IT types and those in the know.

Time for me to get a new PC. I do this about every 4 years...a lot of changes since the last time I boned up.

I know Conroe is coming out soon, but there seems to be different opinions as to whether AMD Dual Core prices will drop as a result.

I have been pricing new systems with the usual audio configurations based on AMD 64 X2 4400 Dual Cores with all the goodies at around 1800.00 ( two big fast drives, 2g of ram, quiet case, nice DVD, big power supply,XP only, etc. ). It actually seems like the prices have gone up over the last month instead of down.

I don't do any sample based streaming, and little sequencing...just mostly bass, drums, keys, vox and guitars into the PC. Right now I am using Acid 6.0 with an MAudio 192 card for input, but I also have an Mbox and ProTools LE, and a Toneport.

I am interested in the Universal UAD DSP cards for effects but I am aware that there are some incompatibilities with the AMD chipsets. I would probably get the project Pak when I buy the new PC.

Should I go ahead and make a move or is what's around the corner so much better that I should wait?

I can't afford the top end, so does it make sense for me to wait? What I could get right now would smoke my current PC, but I don't want to buy now and have regrets come October or so.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
    B

2. flicker180

flicker180 Member

well as someone who active sells these things.

Conroe will show up the first week of August. hands down, it's the performance winner. AMD did cut their prices (for example, my 4000+s went from 337.00 to 175.00...ouch!) and they're available now. As a value buy, you can't beat the AMD stuff. for performance, get the conroe. I'm actually doing pre-order slots for Conroe's right now, so, if ya want in, lemme know.

regarding the AMD chipsets, you have to understand that AMD doesn't make consumer chipsets at all. the 8000 series chipset is for workstation/servers only and you won't find any on single processor boards.

dave

3. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

Hey, thanks for the info!

Sounds like I want to wait on Conroe. I have Waves plug ins, so I could forego the UAD to offest the cost between a nice AMD system and a newer faster Conroe system that may handle plug ins fine without the assistance of a DSP card.

That being said, I do tend to overthink these things.

Do you sell just parts, are will you have fully configured systems?

4. flicker180

flicker180 Member

I can fully configure systems for you or just send the parts. your call. :) feel free to give me a holler @ 978.239.2489

Dave

5. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

I'm gonna wait for compatability checks for my current software and input devices, so I would not move on a Conroe system for a month or so ...but, I will call you then if you are still interested. I would be more inclined towards a full system, ready to go, sans monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Thanks for taking the time to address my questions.

6. flicker180

flicker180 Member

yup...lemme know!

dave

7. 2012studios

2012studios Member

What you need to do, before you decide on a computer, is decide on an Audio Interface. Then research it's compatibility requirements before you purchase a computer. There is nothing worse than dropping $2-3k on a computer and finding that there are incompatibilities with your interface or software.

Also consider putting $ into outboard gear instead of the fastest possible computer that can run ridiculous amounts of plugs...

EDIT: you already know the compatibility quirks...

what hardware/software are you using ?

8. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

Acid 6.0 ( which I am learning to really, really , like ) MBox 1 with LE, Waves Gold, Line 6 Toneport UX2, M Audio 2496 Sound Card. I am happy with the sound quality of my current system, but I do not have enough processing power.

I'll be honest, I have had some moderately nice outboard gear in the past with a dedicated hard drive Roland VS system ( Great River 1nv, RMP / RNC combo, etc...the usual home recorders drool objects... ) but in my hobbyist rec / family room, and for what I am doing it did not make that much difference, so I sold it all to finance a lifetime acoustic guitar. No regrets. I have some decent mikes.

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

Boy, I'd go with the newly unveiled Mac Pro from Apple. It runs Windows and OSX. Plus it's about a grand cheaper than a similarly configured Dell.

10. flicker180

flicker180 Member

a few things you need to factor in.

1.) a 1 year standard warranty (apple) vs. 3 year standard warranty (Dell)
    2.) no monitor (apple) vs. included 19" LCD (dell)
    3.) a consumer grade video card (apple) vs. workstation grade video card (Dell)

all told, there's a bit more value to the Dell system even at a higher price point. and, as much as i hate to say it, Dell's tech support for their workstation line is VASTLY superior to Apple's.

btw, I can easily build a system to match Apple's specification at a lower price point. :)

dave

11. toomanyhoursx

toomanyhoursx Member

from what i've heard, the intel core 2 duo is supposed to kill AMD.

12. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

What's "Conroe"?

13. toomanyhoursx

toomanyhoursx Member