Buy peavey 6505mh with cab or the one of these heads 6505+, 6505 with 1 eq, or peavey 5150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jv2008, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:04 PM.

1. jv2008

jv2008 Member

It will be my first experience owning a tube amp. all i do its play and practice in my room with a vypyr and some plugins. will i notice a change in my playing?

should i go with the mini plus a cab? do to the 1w feature. or one of the heads plus a Two Notes Torpedo Live Digital Loadbox

im also thinking about getting instead a fender amp or vox because i like clean tones and with some overdrive.
    can i use a distortion pedal and get a 6505 kinda tone or just get something above?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 3:54 PM
  2. CoastalRyan

CoastalRyan Supporting Member

I own the 6505mh with the matching cab. It’s my every day amp right next to my sofa. Sounds great. Dirt channel is a lot of fun at 1 watt. I’ve also used the DI into a small audiobox into Ableton and it sounded great.

So 1 watt is great for banging around but if you need to get any decent cleans out of it you’re going to have to crank it up to 5 or 20 watts because there isn’t enough headroom at 1 watt to get it to clean up and still provide enough volume.

Same thing if you’re gonna pedal up. To get any kind of a decent pedal platform clean out of it you’re gonna have to go up to 5 or 20 watts.

Overall it’s a fun amp.

3. jv2008

jv2008 Member

they have a used jvm205h at 900 bucks. is it a good deal?

4. CoastalRyan

I’m not the best guy to ask about Marshall amps but that doesn’t sound like a bad deal.

However for bedroom/home playing that’s a lot of amp.

jv2008 likes this.
  5. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

If your just a bedroom player it doesn't make any sense getting those bigger amps.

6. jv2008

jv2008 Member

just feel like getting the real thing. after i played a marshall combo and a 6505mh it felt like if i was playing guitar for the first time.

7. CoastalRyan

I think the 6505mh is a great choice for home playing/recording. Reasonably priced too.

jv2008 likes this.
  8. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I hear ya.

[​IMG]

The 6505+ is a wonderful gigging head.

jv2008 and 55goldtop like this.
  9. jv2008

jv2008 Member

i think thats what im gonna for

10. jv2008

jv2008 Member

Nice gear! I just ordered a peavey 6505mh with a 80w 2x12 cab can’t wait! I wonder if I can get some decent cleans and bluesy tones. Is that why you have different heads for different styles? If yes, what else should I purchase? Later not today lol

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 3:55 PM
  11. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

Of all my amps the Egnator Armageddon and the EVH 5150III are probably the most versatile meaning they can do different styles with no problems. The 6505+ is just a beast unleashed from hell, works great with thrash heavy metal and that's about it. Its not a one trick pony but its easier to achieve other styles of playing with the 5150 and the eggs in my humble opinion. When your order comes in please be sure to share it with us!!

I,m debating whether or not to get a 6505MH myself.

12. jv2008

jv2008 Member

Man if only the 5150 head had a build in attenuator or master volume like the combo :/ I almost bought an egnator but I heard that it’s expensive to fixed them.
    Sure I’ll post when I get it. I tried the 1w at the store and it sounded like if it was cranked or something. So can wait to try it at 1w at home.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 4:56 PM
  13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

The 6505MH I tried out was a good heavy-rock/metal amp, but I didn't care for its cleans much. I went with an Egnater Tweaker 15. No wattage reduction, no recording/USB output, but tones that worked better for my styles (rock, blues, jazz) ... it's very versatile. The only downside is that you really need to get above noon on the MV in order to really get the amp chuffing. Sounds okay at lower levels, but it doesn't shine until you start thinking about earplugs. It might work well for you as a follow-on amp, if you are able to uncork the MV a little.

14. jv2008

jv2008 Member

Now, That’s why i made the decision to get the 6505mh because of the 1w feature. All the amps a tried sounded bad at lower volumes. And if wanted to add a reload box with build in cab simulation I was gonna spend more
    Money and also probably not experience the amp feel and In the room.

If this amp doesn’t sound good with cleans or bluesy tones I’ll probably get later a peavy classic. It also has the 1w feature. What to you think? Can I get the same tones like the egnator you mention above?

Now that I’m interring the amp world I’m starting to learn new thing lol can’t wait to inter the pedal world.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 5:21 PM
  15. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I can't honestly say. I'm lucky in that my living circumstances (out in the country, my very few neighbors are still far enough away to not be put out) that I've never used attenuation of any sort. I do know that I don't usually care for low-wattage amps (I've owned a few 5w tube amps), for their being heavy on mids. I don't know how the two amps compare head-to-head. The Egnater gets good rock tones on its own once it's breathing a little, that's for sure.

I've heard good things about the Classic 20 MH, but haven't played one. The only advice I can really give is that if possible, get out and play some amps in the stores and see what grabs your ears. Happy hunting, brotha!

I will say this: the VHT Special 6, low-wattage though it is, has great cleans and edge-of-breakup sounds. I've heard good things about their Special 12/20, but haven't played one. My Spec 6 is one happy amp to play, though, and with a boost it does everything I want, except get loud enough to hang with a drummer.

jv2008 likes this.
  16. CoastalRyan

You’ll get all kinds of usable drive at 1 watt. This amp excels at mid to high gain. I love chugging around in drop D with this amp dimed on the lead channel. Loads of fun.

You won’t get good cleans at 1 watt though. I’d start at 20 watts and work your pre and post gain along with the volume knob on your guitar. For cleans I have my pre gain pretty low and my post gain at about noon with my volume knob rolled back to about 7. My clean sound is serviceable and I can move the post gain up a bit for a nice bluesy low gain sound... but this rig isn’t going to excel at cleans. That is if you’re gonna compare it to traditional amps known for their clean channel.

Also I’m one of those guys who buys pedals all the time and I’ve always felt that it took pedals really well at 5 and 20 watts.

In my experience the 1 watt is most functional with my guitar straight into the amp no pedals. Good for noodling around and practicing.

I definitely put it up to 5w or 20w if I’m jamming with a friend or busting out the pedal board. The 5w and 20w aren’t overwhelmingly loud if you work your volume knobs.

For me the versatility of the amp is the big reason Ive kept it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 8:25 PM
    jv2008 likes this.
  17. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

My amps dont start to come alive till the volume is like on two. Too loud for an apartment but luckily my gear is in a basement, allowing me to record at higher volumes.

jv2008 likes this.
  18. jv2008

jv2008 Member

Thanks I’ll check some VHT amps :)

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

The Spec 12/20 should be able to hang with a drummer. Whether it delivers the tones you want, I don't know, but you'll have some fun figuring that out, no doubt.

jv2008 likes this.
  20. jv2008

jv2008 Member

Thanks for sharing! Man I was hoping to get some good cleans at 1w lol but it’s ok. I’m still excited lol.

I guess I Can’t get best of both worlds on that amp. Well maybe on a expensive amp. I Will look for a second head or a combo later in the future. Need to save for pedals or the a helix hx effects. What do you think what sounds nicer the pedals or a new multi effects like the helix?