Buy Really Nice American Deluxe Tele or Boutiquey Amp

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by rolsen, May 20, 2015.

1. rolsen

rolsen Member

I've got my eye on post 2010 Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, Aged Cherry Burst, Rosewood fretboard. However, I've often been more excited and interested in amps. Figuring I might find a Dlx Tele for somewhere between $1000 (used) - $1600 (new), I should carefully consider a nice amp around the same price range. I'd like to see what YOU would do, and maybe why if you were in my shoes.

My musical situation: Play guitar and sing in original alt/indie rock band; record mostly my own music in my home studio. We play local bars and are not looking to go any further beyond recording more albums and playing locally. Day job is the way I make money.

My live gear: Warmoth Jazzmaster (all premium parts and electronics), Vox AC30cc head with slight mods, Avatar 2x12 loaded with Weber G12H30 55hz variant and Weber 50 watt Alnico Blue Dog, pedalboard with EP Booster, Wampler Euphoria, x2 MXR Carbon Copies, Earthquaker Ghost Echo, Empress ParaEQ.

'Home' gear: Les Paul Standard w/ Seth Lover p/ups, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele, Egnater Tweaker head/cab, small pedalboard with Digitech DL-8 delay, MXR Script Phase 90 RI, other bits and pieces I'm forgetting.

So, I have a couple nice guitars and a respectable live amp, pretty decent home amp. I do not have a 'boutiquey' amp, ala Bad Cat, Morgan, Top Hat etc. I have the Squier tele which is fun but I'd love to have a super-sweet tele like the Deluxe with its compound radius fretboard (my jazzmaster has that and I love it). But, i'd like a 'super vox' too like the Bat Cat but it must have an effects loop or my delay turns to mush in a gained up amp.

If you had to choose to go one way or another, what would you do?

2. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

I'd go with the amp. A nice amp really gets me excited about playing. Guitar-wise you seem to have a lot of basses covered. A nice amp may bring out more/new life from what you've got.

3. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

Amp.A Nice Vintage Marshall head 50 watt:)

4. Ravindave_3600

Ravindave_3600 Member

I'd go for a new amp, if only because I don't see anything great in your stable. Plus, a great amp can make even a mediocre guitar sound great!

5. Bogner

Bogner Member

Or you could go way out there and get a Kemper or Axe FX and really shake things up. ;)

6. 71strat

71strat Member

Theres a nice used Mojave Plexi 45 Head on sale at Reverb.com for $1325. Its $2200 brand new.

7. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Sell off the tweaker head, the tele, and one of those Carbon Copies and see where it puts you.That leaves you with a cab wherever you are.

If it were me, I'd sell both heads, the tele, and enough pedals to slim down to one board. That would free up enough for a pretty nice amp on the used market.

(Note: there are delays that do not turn to mush in front of an amp.)

8. rolsen

rolsen Member

Hmmm, seems like everyone is suggesting nice amp over tele. My problem (and I've been sleuthing around for a while) is finding an amp I like considerably better than my Vox, like enough to justify $1500ish. Bad Cat is probably up there on the list. Deluxe Tele looking nice though!

9. Turi

Turi Member

I think you're pretty much good as it is.

What you need is a big boys Gretsch for that AC30.

10. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you just have money to spend on gear (always a good thing), or are you trying to improve or change your sound, lighten your gear haul, etc.?

11. rolsen

rolsen Member

A little of each.. I've been sporting the same guitar/amp setup for over 8 yrs and would like to change things up for the sake of change. I've been spending on nice studio recording stuff and would like to aim some discretionary spending on guitar gear. I've never had a premium league amp but I'd count my guitars as premium instruments. I have an itch for a premium tele right this moment but have nursed a longer desire for a boutique amp. So, lots of reasons, none of which cure a problem as I have no tone problems in my view.

12. sanrico

sanrico Member

He's in an alt/indie band. You just fogged up his horn-rimmed glasses with that comment.

13. rolsen

rolsen Member

Hah! I'm 39 (so too old to be a cool hipster), beardless, tattoo-less and laser-vision corrected but I still don't want an Axe FX yet.

So, what would you choose, top of line tele or premium league amp?

14. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I think you are obsessing over the boutique amp. It's a phase I went through. Lots of Andersons, Bogners Tone Kings etc. Now I'm gigging a Peavey 30 (WGS Reaper HP) and partsocasters. I'm loving the tones. I think your amp situation is fine. I gigged AC15CC1's with Red Fangs for years and was happy with them. The AmDlx Tele would be my choice.

15. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I would buy a great amp, like a Carr. Guitars are easy to come by.

16. Bogner

Bogner Member

Get an amazing amp!

17. sanrico

sanrico Member

I know hipsters older than you. The greying hair with the chunky glasses is the look! ;) All you need is an ironic t-shirt!

But I digress... I would pick the tele personally. I had crazy boutique amp gas and bought a super expensive copy of the Deluxe Reverb. It was very nice, but honestly, the sonic difference between that amp and a regular ol' off-the-shelve DRRI was so tiny, I was instantly disappointed. You already have a nice amp (I love the AC30), and I just don't think a boutique amp will open the heavens in the way they are advertised. A new guitar, however, can inspire a lot of music, and you feel it regardless of stage conditions, bad mix, volume, etc.

My dos centavos.

18. rolsen

rolsen Member

Thanks Sanrico