Buy/Sell/Trade etiquette

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Don Rusk, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

We had an interesting and informative discussion going around this subject that got pulled for 'other' reasons...

So I would like to take up this discussion on a more anonymous level (not tied to any one persons name :AOK )....

What are the ins and outs of pedal trading/barter etc...

and how have you handled less than perfect situations....

(try not to make it personal:) )

things like ~ who buys the insurance

how do you make claims with various carriers etc....

2. RickB

RickB Member

I had only been buying insurance as the seller on the larger dollar items (> $200) until recently. I sold a pedal to someone who I had already sold a few to in the past. I shipped it to his work address this time and he got a delivery attempt notice and then the tracking said it was delivered to a different zip code. Turns out it was to a PO Box at his work since they could leave it there and not have to keep attempting at the front desk. The PO Box had a different zip code which no one was aware of. Long story short, he got the pedal after a solid week of us trying to figure out what happened. He now knows that his work has a PO Box and to check there in the future! But had it gone differently, as the seller who has his money, I would have refunded it. One could argue that he should have asked for insurance but I feel that it is my obligation to buy the insurance as I have his money and I have a right to deliver his pedal regardless. So for now on, ALL my sales will be insured regardless of price and I will also ask for insurance as a buyer whenever possible. :angel

3. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I use USPS for shipping. I prefer it to UPS (no Saturday deliveries) and FedEx (slow and expensive). I use Priority Shipping and get Delivery Confirmation on everything I ship. I email the buyer to let him know I've shipped and I send the Del Con number as soon as I get back from the post office. I will buy insurance if the value is greater than $200.

This is also what I prefer and ask for if I am the buyer.

On sales, I only ship once I have received payment. I accept payPal and USPS money orders. I have taken checks in the past, but I hold the item for 2 weeks waiting for the check to fully clear and that would feel like an awful long time if I was the buyer, so I discourage it.

If I'm buying I pay by PayPal or USPS money order. I send payment within 24 hours of the deal agreement. I expect similar response time from buyers.

I only do trades with people that I've dealt with in the past or with folks who are well known and have an established reputation here or on HC. In those cases I ship as soon as the deal is made. That way, both parties get their goods sooner. If I have doubts about the guy on the other end of the trade, I don't do the trade.

Then there are those "special" deals on rare or oddball gear from folks I have never dealt with. They can be very tempting, but having been burned a couple times I try to follow my own advice - "If it doesn't feel right, walk away."

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I also use USPS Priority mail and I've never had a problem. They are quick and seem to never lose anything, unlike UPS. I always pay for insurance. I figure if the item never gets there, it is my responsibility as the seller to make sure it does.
    How can I keep someone's payment if they never rec'd anything? I don't think it should be the buyer's responsibility to insure. If it never makes it to the buyer, as the selle, I am insured so I can get my money back from the shipper after I have refunded the buyer's money.
    I just figure it into the selling price. It usually ends up costing about $7-8 for an MXR sized pedal to ship from CA to NY with insurance.

I am always amazed when a high dollar item is shipped w/out insurance or delivered w/out a signature. Last month, I came home and found my brand new Fargen Blackbird on my front doorstep! What if it disappeared in a passing pickup truck or I claimed I never rec'd it? The dleivery says "left at front door" which is true, but it was 3-4 hours later until I came home and rec'd it. It could have easily walked off in that time.

5. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Yeah, any time I sell something for X amount of dollars "PayPal'd, packed, shipped, and insured," whatever expenses I'm likely to incur are built into my asking price. I always insure...not having it is never an option for my deals where I'm the seller. And if I'm the buyer, I always ask for it.

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

From a recent experience:

1) Tell your buyers you're on vacation and will ship the pedals on xx date or by xx day, don't pull an "O BTW, I'm on vacation and can't ship for at least another week" after you get paid. Maybe I'm crazy but I think it's kinda' rude.

2) Excellent condition, to me, means no dings, basically new and completely working. It doesn't mean that the item's been gigged heavily, has lots of dings and tons of sloppy applications and reapplications of velcro all over the bottom...that describes "gigged and used but in good working condition".

7. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    A few key words "As Is" I realize that this causes people to cringe, and or shipping insurance must be taken, otherwise seller not responsible for shipping agents problems. This comes from a guy who has bought a few things and had to deal with issues like UPS and the USPS leaving boxes on my doorstep, for them to never be found, yet they claimed they delivered them. Ship them requiring a signature! I typically request a tracking number as soon as it ships so I can try and arrange to have someone there to receive it.

CONDITION:

This is a very fruistrating point to me, the word "MINT" must be how it tastes because many ship it and it has paint chips, knobs missing, etc.
    If it a collectable or of high value I will demand good photos of all sides of it sent to me before payment is made. On ebay I will ask questions before bidding, that usually tells if they are upright or snakes. IF they can't do photos I will try to negotiate 1/2 down 1/2 upon inspection. Another thing to do is email/contact other buyers and get there opinion.

Another alarm is if I see in the auction "Will leave feedback after buyer leaves feedback", this tells me they are not upfront with things. Ebay sucks the big on managing this.

TheGrooveking

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Ditto to almost everything stated above. To me, the most important thing to get is Delivery Confirmation with USPS Priority Mail. This way, I know the pedal arrived on the other end. Also, don't throw those old slips away, as I have heard that some crooks will wait several months after you ship, and then claim never to have recieved the package, knowing that most people will discard the papers after a week or two. As above, I insure anything above $150 - but I have never had the Post Office lose anything, and I have shipped out well over 100 pedals in the last couple of years.

I avoid UPS like the plague - which they are. They delivered a package I shipped with them to an abandoned house and just left it on the porch. Needless to say, the package disappeared, never to be seen again. UPS claimed no resposibility because they shipped to the address on the package, and the fact that it was obvious that no one lived in the house was not their problem. I took that $150 lesson to heart. Fed Ex seems to be very reliable, but expensive.

Also, if someone recieves a pedal from me and tells me that there is an issue with it, I have them send the pedal back and immediately upon reciept I refund their money + their shipping costs to send it back to me. I have been on both ends of this type of situation and I think that is the only fair thing to do. Sometimes **** just happens, and it is the seller's responsibility to make sure the pedal arrives as described.

Finally, communication is essential. I always email a seller after receiving a pedal and checking it out, to let them know that the deal has been completed successfully. Similarly, I will email a buyer to make sure the pedal arrived intact and working.

PS - another thing I have been doing lately is to keep a record of those I make deals with (Name - TGP handle - address - email address - etc) so that I can provide references to anyone who requires them. I doesn't offend me if someone is cautious and wants to verify that I am legit - I have nothing to hide, and it is just a smart way of doing business...

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

It's cool if that's what it means to you, but I don't get that from it at all. I use it all the time and I'm up front about things almost to a fault (too verbose). This thread isn't about arguing about ebay policy, but to me the buyer should initiate any feedback, the sale isn't complete until the buyer says it is...and by leaving feedback the buyer is saying the sale is complete and his feedback is saying what he thought of the sale.

10. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

No offense intended here, but I'm confused as to why you would ship to an abandoned house and then blame UPS for delivering your package. How was the driver supposed to determine the house was abandoned? I've seen plenty of houses with broken windows and overgrown yards that look abandoned but people are still living in them, and after all, s/he was delivering to the address you put on the package. I'm not defending UPS here, but unless there's more to the story, the delivery driver's only responsibility was to deliver the package to the address printed on the shipping label.

I'm also confused as to why so many people say Fed-Ex is slower and more expensive. I opened a Fed-Ex Ground account years ago because they are almost always less expensive and just as fast, if not faster, than UPS or the USPS, and Fed Ex delivers on Saturdays, too.

11. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

NyteOwl WROTE: "I'm confused as to why you would ship to an abandoned house and then blame UPS for delivering your package. How was the driver supposed to determine the house was abandoned?"

The address problem was my fault - The failure to see the large posted signs in the windows stating that the house was unoccupied and up for a tax sale and no trespassing allowed is the UPS man's. Just common sense...

12. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Aha, so there was more to the story...

13. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

I've heard that collecting insurance money from UPS and FEDEX is like pissing in the ocean. The USPS is how I deliver ALL pedals. I always get delivery confirmation... it's as good as insurance (they will cover up to $100 for nothing) and for a couple of dollars extra, they'll insure the full value. I include this fee and actual handling (bubble wrap, tape if I have to buy it, a box) in the shipping cost. If I'm up front about the costs, there should be no complaints.

UPS has destroyed a guitar, which I still own, and also delivered stuff in perfect condition, so I have mixed feelings. I would only use UPS for large packages.
    Maybe off-topic but, I refuse to use PAYPAL EVER AGAIN!!!!! :FM :FM :Devil I have in the past included PP cost in the price of the sale item.

I am minimizing my E-Bay usage to slim as well... what a f-ing scam!

MW