Buyer Beware: Dave's Guitar Shop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eigentone, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Jp267

Jp267 Member

Just had a crummy experience with Dave's myself.

My review from Facebook:

My first experience with Dave's has been a massive PITA. Firstly, I was going to be in Milwaukee on vacation and they said they would ship the guitar to Milwaukee and it would be ready for me to pick up on the 4th.

Well I had to cut the trip short, and back to CT, however I was going to make a special trip up to MKE to pick it up from Chicago. On the morning of the 4th I was told they didn't ship it from LaCrosse and it wasn't there. Now one of the employees who set it up had a family emergency and that comes first. However I would have expected someone else to jump in and make sure it was in Milwaukee. We had set up the details a week before hand.

So they decided to ship it to me in CT. Free of charge and were genuinely apologetic. I emailed my address and they put the wrong shipping address on the UPS label. It would have just been a copy and paste from my email. I happened to notice the wrong address since I own a business and have a UPS account. So I called UPS to straighten it out.

In all fairness they did offer to knock $150 off the guitar which was nice. So I received the guitar on the 10th instead of the 4th or 5th.

The guitar is fine, but looking at the paperwork in the case it's for a completely different guitar and there was no paperwork for mine.

I'm all about giving second chances, but the paperwork issue was strike three. I was about to order a $2k plus guitar to give them another chance, but I'm really weary of doing so now. I think I'll just go to NYC and pick one up.

In all, not impressed, with the service. Guitar is fine, but too many other issues, that I don't have time to chase down.

I think I'll give it a lot of thought before I order from Dave's again. This first order has been a doozie.

I was assured multiple times it would be at their Milwaukee store. Very hesitant to do business with them again.

eigentone likes this.
  2. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing.

I see you are in New England. We have a few shops worth dropping into if you find yourself in Boston. Hopefully you find a nice guitar in NY.

Jp267 likes this.
  3. Jp267

Jp267 Member

Thanks was expecting more from a "high end" guitar store. I've dealt with Rudy's, CME, Elderly etc and all have been perfect transactions without issue. I wasn't going to write a bad review, but the wrong paperwork in the case along with the card that said it was inspected by an employee at Dave's was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. Asked if they wanted the paperwork sent to them no response... I go to Boston on business fairly often. I'll check out some Boston shops next time I'm up.

eigentone likes this.
  4. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Member

Interesting thread. I read the earlier issue with the Vox, it’s good to at least be aware of certain vendors.

Yes, some can have an off day or erroneous order, when there’s a chain of issues, it’s good information to have.

I’m on the fence with CME, though I haven’t ordered an instrument. Got a pedal, 100% okay. I asked about getting pics of two guitars and the headstocks since I was ready to purchase. The sales guy made it sound like he was doing me a giant favor and it took two days to get blurry phone pics. I passed. Looked like B stock anyway. Just sayin.

Makes it a real PITA to get or assess quality instruments. Dealers being evasive, and if an issue arises on a delivered instrument, often the manufacturer denies any responsibility. ‘Relic’ becomes the catch all for any shipping issues.

Jp267 and eigentone like this.
  5. eigentone

Cool. Check some of these shops on your way up:
    • Music Emporium
    • Matt's Music
    • Mr Music
    • Bay State Vintage
    • Empire Guitars in Providence
    • Ray Mullin Music

Jp267 likes this.
  6. Jp267

Jp267 Member

I will say the sales people at CME can be douches. Sorry! However, I 've had several guitars and pedals shipped out here to CT on time, well packaged and with no issues. So I kind of put up with their douchiness. Rudy's can be the same.

hillbillypolack and eigentone like this.
  7. Jp267

Jp267 Member

Thanks! I'll check them out next time I'm up North!

eigentone likes this.
  8. That70'sBro

That70'sBro Member

Rather surprised to see any criticisms of Dave's Guitar Shop at all. Never bought from them. Until now, can't remember a negative comment about them surfing various gear forums over the years. Given that they seemed well-liked and respected pretty much across the web I thought they might be a reliable 'go to' if I ever was trying to turn up a rare or hard to find item. Pretty disappointing to find out they resisted making right on the OP's purchase.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    kookaburra, Jp267 and eigentone like this.
  9. eigentone

Right, there is a salesman at CME I will not deal with again. Find one there that you like and who treats you well and stick with him/her. That's my recommendation.

Jp267 likes this.
  10. Jp267

Jp267 Member

Dave's Response:

Hi Joe, sorry again about all the trouble. We're still happy to honor the $150 refund, or the full return if you're not satisfied with the guitar or service. We strive to have a 5 star experience for all of our customers, so we take it seriously when we've hit anything less than that.

We apologize if there was a miscommunication with the gigbag. As this was a used instrument, we can't guarantee that all of the original paperwork is with it, especially since it was in a gigbag. Again, we're more than happy to offer you a full refund, or the $150 if you decide to keep it.

My response:
    Yes please refund the $150. This is also the first time I bought a guitar over $700, that didn't have paperwork, from a reputable dealer. Gig bag or not. In the gig bag was a card stating it was inspected by one of your employees. Makes me wonder if it was inspected. I would imagine that would be something someone would spot right away. Shall I mail you back the paperwork so whoever buys that guitar isn't stiffed or toss it?

Glad I paid with Amazon payments as it offered leverage as a Prime member. I talked to Amazon and they would have stepped into get my money back. The $150 was their profit on the guitar. So fine I'll take it as a remedy and most likely wash my hands of Dave's. I live down the road from a member of the Rolling Stones, a former member of Deep Purple/Rainbow, and a former member of Dio/Whitesnake and soon to be GnR. We talk here and there and the store came up in conversation awhile back. I'll be sure to bring it up again next time we chat.

Anyway done.

eigentone likes this.
  11. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

What on earth does that have to do with anything? Are your cats friends with their cats too?

12. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

****ing cat people....

13. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Yes... the even have rival cat bands: "Cattered, Cattered" and "Ronnie James Meow".

the_Chris likes this.
  14. stevemc

stevemc Member

moran alert!what is this ,high school?

amigo30 and ripple like this.
  15. kwicked

kwicked Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not the worst idea to know how to spell moron when accusing someone else of being one..

16. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

This is sticky worthy.

JasonElGato, sitedrifter and ericb like this.
  17. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

This thread has gone on so long I forget if I already posted in it. . BUT I love Dave's Guitars. I'm sorry for them they lost some customers, and I'm sorry some customers had bad experiences, but I still will love them as a great source for great gear at excellent prices. I've bought from them via the internet since the 90's. . .Not a huge amount but at least 6-8 times and every purchase was just amazing. There's always pros/cons and goods/bads everywhere. Oh well. . I wish the best for all involved with Dave's and I for one have loved them

Eric

kookaburra and Blueshound like this.
  18. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

I love it when a TGP thread takes the unexpected hard left turn and downshifts into hilarity.

This one's picking up speed...

19. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

20. johnkoz

johnkoz Member