Buyer Beware: Dave's Guitar Shop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eigentone, Mar 10, 2018.

1. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

It's been quiet from the shop since this has been asked...

2. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Yup. Just search "Prymaxe" on this site.

ufguy73 likes this.
  3. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

I've bought a guitar and amp from them. Both experiences were ok, not great. They both looked better in pics than in person and neither were packed well. Lots of sellers out there. I'll go elsewhere in the future.

ufguy73 likes this.
  4. eigentone

Not sure about Dave's, but trade-in values at many larger shops is 50%-60% of initial asking price when resold. They may have taken the trade-in then resold it for $1000+ more than they credited PGGM for the guitar he traded in (or maybe it was cash he put towards another item.) I think a few minutes of labor isn't much to worry about in this case; it's a pretty profitable model.

5. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

his trade-in and the labor of transferring deposits are separate entities.

If he agreed to give them a guitar at a price he approved instead of 20% then it doesn’t really matter what they do with it after that. It’s their property whether he pays the balance or not and he is ok with the amount they agreed upon.

Ryno1331 likes this.
  6. orogeny

orogeny Member

yo no comprendo.
    my very best deal in the past twelve months came from prymaxe.
    did i have to wait for it? yes.
    was it worth it? hell yes.

7. rhinocaster

And I'd agree with that if he agreed that the guitar trade in was only covering the 20% deposit.

I'm not at all in agreement with the idea that the shop deserves anything more than the initial deposit in the event of a "failed layaway."

Thumpalumpacus and Rumble5 like this.
  8. eigentone

No disagreement there. :dunno

9. rollyfoster

the guitar is the initial deposit, no? The percentage is kind of moot point

10. rhinocaster

This goes back to the language of Dave's layaway policy that I've asked about.

I absolutely don't agree that the shop is owed more than the initial 20%, non refundable deposit. I agree that the person entering into this agreement with Dave's needs to understand what they're agreeing to.

There is simply no way that I'd take advantage a buyer/trader/layawayer in the way that the language of this layaway policy suggests. Ever...never...ever.

I worked at a vintage shop and when things went south we always worked to create a fair and equitable resolution to the situation. It happened plenty of times and we never kept all of the money and the instrument. It just wasn't done.

11. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

yeah - i mean both things can be true...

buyer can fail to do their due diligence and/or behave unwisely...and the seller can hide behind fine print and/or fail to do the ‘right’ thing by the customer.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Calebz, ford, Rumble5 and 2 others like this.
  12. eigentone

There have been a lot of complaints/warnings/remarks here at TGP about Prymaxe's Pre-Order and Cancellation policies. It is evidence that yes, a lot of people do "put down hundreds/thousands of dollars without confirming you can (or can’t) get it back??"

I'm not saying Prymaxe is a bad outfit or anything. I have even bought from them in the past month. I do think it's ultimately good that people here make others aware of their policies because they are a bit unusual. Glad you got a good deal.

13. rollyfoster

I agree in the capacity that if someone paid the 20% and then made more payments and couldn’t finish then everything above the 20% should be refunded.

However, if someone voluntarily offers a guitar in lieu of that 20%, then the percentage is superseded by the agreed-upon value of that guitar and it becomes the initial non-refundable deposit. It’s just much clearer that way.

rhinocaster likes this.
  14. rhinocaster

I suppose that "clear" isn't what I'm getting from the stated policy in this thread.

I wouldn't agree that the trade should negate the 20% policy and that the only way that a non refundable trade would really make sense is if both parties agreed that the trade was equal to the 20% deposit. With this I mean to say that the shop agreed to PAY the person initiating the layaway the same amount as the 20% deposit....this would clearly be below what the shop intended to sell the guitar for.

Really, if the shop valued the trade as 50% of the value of the layaway, then the shop should refund 30%. There is no scenario that I find acceptable that would allow the shop to keep both guitars in that situation.

15. rollyfoster

yeah the policy certainly isn’t clear. Neither are the terms of the deal about which we are speculating.

My only observation is that when you start getting into partial refunds on a speculative trade value of a guitar the shop may sit on for months or “I want my guitar back” or whatever, the waters just get muddier and muddier. It helps to have a defining line and if there’s no paperwork laying it out in clear terms then both parties are to blame.

rhinocaster likes this.
  16. rhinocaster

I hear you and agree....We tended to realize that each situation was unique and the resolution just wasn't cut and dried along the lines of "Well, this is what you agreed to." The same is true with my time in printing (decades) when a customer wouldn't take responsibility for their lack of proofing a job.

I suppose I've come to accept that "Fair" and and "What you agreed to" aren't always the same thing. And, by this, I mean that the shop can often take it in the shorts when the customer isn't being remotely fair....

rollyfoster likes this.
  17. rollyfoster

I get that and it’s a luxury of being a small shop. Dave’s seems to be a very large organization with multiple locations so there needs to be a more rigid approach to policy to maintain continuity across the brand.

I’m still very curious as to whether this guy was offered agreement papers, signed the papers, or just sent the guitar without thinking to ask.

I’m a small business owner and sometimes it pains me to enforce the (clearly defined) rules but if you bend for someone soon you’ll be bending for everyone. I’ll certainly do my best to work it out but I also don’t have other locations or Internet forums where customers may or may not report being treated beyond the scope of how things work.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Ryno1331 likes this.
  18. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

Here’s the terms for the layaway program. If you don’t like it...don’t agree (do) to it.

[​IMG]
    It’s very simple. Of course, the entitled amongst us will cry out, “it’s not fair”.
    Boo hoo. Boo F**king Hoo.

marshall2553, T Dizz and Bluzeboy like this.
  19. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Gotta love when the authoritarians prone to licking boots out themselves.

Calebz likes this.
  20. kwicked

kwicked Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

authoritarians prone to licking boots = people smart enough to read and understand the terms of agreements they may enter into?