1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Buyers Backing Down

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JoeYello, Jul 2, 2020.

1. JoeYello

JoeYello Supporting Member

It’s very frustrating when buyers back down after you take many pictures, describe the item and answer numerous emails. Most of the time they just ignore you and go away. It would be nice if they told you they had a change of heart, allowing you to move on. I have a friend who beats me down, negotiates price and arranges for pickup and then goes away......and hides for a while.

Frustrating.

2. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Your friend sounds like a possible codependent in this gear love/hate relationship! :D

Advice: tell him nothing is for sale anymore --EVER!-- and then sit back and enjoy as he starts offering you lots more than you originally agreed to!

:cool:

tag78, nastynate, marzzz and 27 others like this.
  3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

That does suck of course, and that particular guy would cease to be a buyer in my eyes after twice at the most doing that. I might still keep him as a friend though! Just depends.

Look on the bright side, now you've got the pictures so you don't have to take them for the next potential buyer that comes along.

ragnar, Werepossum, Ferzeleid and 6 others like this.
  4. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

I know that there are all sorts here on TGP, but for me, the more the person kicks the tires and asks super-duper detailed questions, the less I want to deal with them-- in fact I assume they won't buy what I'm selling.

5. JoeYello

My “friend” has done this several times. He always suggests that I leave the guitar with him for a while until he has the money together. That’s a clue.....getting the money together.....translation: I can’t afford it.

6. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

[​IMG]

tag78, Maguchi, 84superchamp and 7 others like this.
  7. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Supporting Member

Why are you trying to sell the item without having adequate pictures already in place?

tonedover, MiniMig, egrassel and 6 others like this.
  8. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

I think he's talking about the guy who wants super detailed "extra" pictures for his own personal approval. Pickguard off, wiring job close ups on fuzz pedals, etc.. I hate that guy.

9. JoeYello

I wasn’t actively selling. He asks if I would be interested in selling him a guitar he knows I own. If I was actively selling I would certainly be prepared.

tag78, 84superchamp and Hawkmoon269 like this.
  10. John Quinn

John Quinn Member

IMO you have a very simple solution - if you are selling something take an appropriate amount of pictures in advance - and list the specs and condition - that's it. Looky Loos who want to have a demo sale are given the pictures, specs and condition and that's it. Stop putting yourself out there to be abused. And BTW 'Friend' seems like a generous terms for your guy who ghosts you after you've helped him out. Be straight with him next time (if there is a next time) and tell him/her you aren't doing anything more because of the way they treated you last time. People who are sketchy dislike directness IME.

11. JoeYello

Yes, he does that too. Closeups of the frets and boards...he likes a dark board. I’ve had sellers do that too.....

jbylake likes this.
  12. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

um, yeah. That's a clear indication they want you to just give it to them. The buyer must be willing AND able to purchase. See, that's a key little part of the phrase there.

tag78, benihana21, MikeMcK and 2 others like this.
  13. soulman969

soulman969 Member

And you're calling this person a "friend"? What are your enemies like?

With all due respect you're allowing yourself to be abused and you are the only one who can stop it.

14. JoeYello

I texted him today and told him I will never entertain selling anything to him.....this after I texted him that I would meet him somewhere today to complete the deal when he told me he bought something much cheaper.

I don’t need friends like this guy....you are all correct. I’m too tolerant with him.

tag78, PeteNJ75, ragnar and 13 others like this.
  15. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Supporting Member

Fair enough. I feel like I see a lot of ads for gear for sale for hundreds (or thousands) of dollars with one or two pictures, like they can't even be bothered. If I'm selling a $50 pedal I take at least 4 pictures. I want people to be happy with the gear they buy from me, because it saves me time and hassle in the end.

PeteNJ75, ragnar, SpudWahene and 3 others like this.
  16. soulman969

soulman969 Member

:beer You're gonna be much happier from now on and also more cautious about who you trust as a friend. Believe me, I know. :bonk It's taken many years for some of the scars to heal.

JoeYello likes this.
  17. Space Jazzer

Space Jazzer Member

This. I once took a photo of the backside of a les paul pick guard. It was black plastic. Just like the up side. Just like I told him.

Needless to say, that guy didn't buy the guitar either. Though it should be said that he took it for an almost three hour spin in my rehearsal space and tried to haggle to the point of utter nonsense...

84superchamp and Lt Dak like this.
  18. sunking101

sunking101 Member

Selling stuff is a huge pain in the @ss.
    I hate it.
    Then, after a ton of hassle you can end up getting scammed when you ship the goods to a complete stranger. I'm just waiting for the Paypal email every time.

19. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Not sure if this was mentioned... I find when you start drinking beer (or whatever) and get tipsy, you get into the buying mode and want more gear... and then when you sober up, you have a change of heart. The guitar, amp or pedal seemed like a much better idea at the time.

20. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

One thing I've learned over the years, Lots of questions, typically leads me to think they won't be buying.

Seems those who are serious have already researched and know what they are looking for and what it's worth.