Buyers Backing Down

JoeYello

Silver Supporting Member
It’s very frustrating when buyers back down after you take many pictures, describe the item and answer numerous emails. Most of the time they just ignore you and go away. It would be nice if they told you they had a change of heart, allowing you to move on. I have a friend who beats me down, negotiates price and arranges for pickup and then goes away......and hides for a while.

Frustrating.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
I have a friend who beats me down, negotiates price and arranges for pickup and then goes away......and hides for a while.
Your friend sounds like a possible codependent in this gear love/hate relationship! :D

Advice: tell him nothing is for sale anymore --EVER!-- and then sit back and enjoy as he starts offering you lots more than you originally agreed to!

:cool:

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
That does suck of course, and that particular guy would cease to be a buyer in my eyes after twice at the most doing that. I might still keep him as a friend though! Just depends.

Look on the bright side, now you've got the pictures so you don't have to take them for the next potential buyer that comes along.

John Quinn

It’s very frustrating when buyers back down after you take many pictures, describe the item and answer numerous emails. Most of the time they just ignore you and go away. It would be nice if they told you they had a change of heart, allowing you to move on. I have a friend who beats me down, negotiates price and arranges for pickup and then goes away......and hides for a while.
Frustrating.
IMO you have a very simple solution - if you are selling something take an appropriate amount of pictures in advance - and list the specs and condition - that's it. Looky Loos who want to have a demo sale are given the pictures, specs and condition and that's it. Stop putting yourself out there to be abused. And BTW 'Friend' seems like a generous terms for your guy who ghosts you after you've helped him out. Be straight with him next time (if there is a next time) and tell him/her you aren't doing anything more because of the way they treated you last time. People who are sketchy dislike directness IME.

JoeYello

Silver Supporting Member
I think he's talking about the guy who wants super detailed "extra" pictures for his own personal approval. Pickguard off, wiring job close ups on fuzz pedals, etc.. I hate that guy.
Yes, he does that too. Closeups of the frets and boards...he likes a dark board. I’ve had sellers do that too.....

soulman969

Frustrating.
And you're calling this person a "friend"? What are your enemies like?

With all due respect you're allowing yourself to be abused and you are the only one who can stop it.

JoeYello

Silver Supporting Member
And you're calling this person a "friend"? What are your enemies like?

With all due respect you're allowing yourself to be abused and you are the only one who can stop it.
I texted him today and told him I will never entertain selling anything to him.....this after I texted him that I would meet him somewhere today to complete the deal when he told me he bought something much cheaper.

I don’t need friends like this guy....you are all correct. I’m too tolerant with him.

Hawkmoon269

Irrational BOSS Fanatic
Silver Supporting Member
I think he's talking about the guy who wants super detailed "extra" pictures for his own personal approval. Pickguard off, wiring job close ups on fuzz pedals, etc.. I hate that guy.
Fair enough. I feel like I see a lot of ads for gear for sale for hundreds (or thousands) of dollars with one or two pictures, like they can't even be bothered. If I'm selling a $50 pedal I take at least 4 pictures. I want people to be happy with the gear they buy from me, because it saves me time and hassle in the end.

soulman969

I texted him today and told him I will never entertain selling anything to him.....this after I texted him that I would meet him somewhere today to complete the deal when he told me he bought something much cheaper.

I don’t need friends like this guy....you are all correct. I’m too tolerant with him.
:beer You're gonna be much happier from now on and also more cautious about who you trust as a friend. Believe me, I know. :bonk It's taken many years for some of the scars to heal.

Space Jazzer

This. I once took a photo of the backside of a les paul pick guard. It was black plastic. Just like the up side. Just like I told him.

Needless to say, that guy didn't buy the guitar either. Though it should be said that he took it for an almost three hour spin in my rehearsal space and tried to haggle to the point of utter nonsense...

Trending Topics