Buyers Backing Down

tag78

Your friend sounds like a possible codependent in this gear love/hate relationship! :D

Advice: tell him nothing is for sale anymore --EVER!-- and then sit back and enjoy as he starts offering you lots more than you originally agreed to!

:cool:
In this case, it's called "tough love".

DA72

oh no, I’m not surprised at all. I buy guitar gear and fishing gear all the time, and I always thank those who really gave a 100% accurate description of the condition, because it’s depressingly rare.
I had to refund a ebay guitar purchase buyer because he claimed I mislead him with the description , I described the used guitar is in almost unplayed condition made him to believed the guitar is in mint condition, actually the guitar had 3 small dents and a light hair scratch on the body plus some light white specks of unknown scratches on the back of the headstock , he never messaged me about the condition !? He was expecting the guitar to be in pristine condition which it wasn't and I should've described the condition correctly after I went through it with fine tooth and comb.

But you're right most sellers won't even bothered if you ask them to list every dents and scratches on used guitars and most likely they would get annoyed and tell you don't bother to bid wth that being said I had purchase a coupe used VCRs during the Covid pandemic without opening the boxes to test them and months gone by then realized they're compltely defective non-working unit that the sellers claimed it works perfectly , instant Karma not sure !?

DA72

Here’s an interesting one.... I have a very rare pedal that I have posted about on TGP a couple of times... Occasionally through the years I have had people message me about this pedal and whether I would ever sell it. Unlike a lot of cliche “I’ll never sell it” pedals, this one is a true grail of mine, and I always respond the same “I never say never but it’s going to have to be an offer I can’t refuse.... well, about a month ago I got that offer. We go back and forth for about a week, I take detailed photos, I make a video for the buyer of functionality (more on this in a minute), and the buyer asks for a very protected packing process which includes double boxing and double bubble wrapping with photo documentation which I understand and provide. Hours before finishing the deal owner emails asking about a minuscule scratch on the edge of the pedal. I’m talking like a millimeter mark that he noticed after blowing up the photo and he thought it might even be like a piece of dirt or plastic. So I tear back open all the packing and sure enough, there is a mark. Again, I’m talking like a millimeter. When the buyer asked me to demo the pedal, I lifted my board to plug it into pedal power, and because my board was in flux an un Velcro’d pedal slid back into it and bumped it, causing the mark. This pedal is/was in pristine collector condition for a pedal so rare. So I email the buyer and rephotograph everything and he wants to think it over overnight. That was the last I heard from him over a month or two ago.

Now, I’m not necessarily bummed that it didn’t sell, as I never intended to sell it in the first place. My guess is the buyer got cold feet and used the mark as an out. This is one of the rarest pedals in the world, and there is no way a mark that size would change the value in any way.

I don’t blame the buyer for having cold feet. It was a lot of money. What I do fault the buyer for is having an ongoing open dialog over the course of the week, jumping through a ton of hoops, photos, documentation, etc... and then the dude just bails. He reached out to me. If he was having second thoughts he should have been professional enough to say so. That’s all.
I had sold a first year reissued Jim Dunlap Vibroverb pedal mint condition in nice red and chrome color for $100 and the buyer even forgot to pay for it so I had email to remind him the payment and I think I should've kept it , now whats that original big muff pedal selling for $900 does it really worth that much ? I think if you valued the pedal for personal worth you should never sell it unless it's over a grand then some

DA72

To the OP, you did right by letting him know he's no longer a potential customer. I have done the same thing. I don't have time to waste. If I am selling a high end piece, or vintage piece, I understand the need to have detailed pics. If I am selling a 1991 Peavey Predator, you get a used, player guitar with the normal wear, and a few pics. I will not waste time taking detailed angled pics of everything on a "regular" used piece of gear. If someone is that neurotic, they need to buy a new Peavey/Fender, etc. If it's a high end or collector piece, I get it, to some degree. If the questions get too overbearing or the buyer is too neurotic, I just say thanks, but no thanks. Again within reason. And I don't leave guitars with people until they get the cash. I did that one time in college with a strat for a friend. He needed a guitar for a gig. A few days later I asked for it back. He said he wanted to buy it, so he'd keep it and pay me. Another week, no cash. Another week, I went to his gig, and he was playing something else, no strat. Luckily a real friend found it in a pawn shop about 2 months later. His next gig, I literally knocked him out outside the bar after I confronted him, he lied, and then cussed me out and called me names. I called him a thief, punched once and he was out. I had put some money down at the pawn shop, returned with the cops. His name was on the pawn ticket. I only learned that because I jammed with a cop at the time.

I am older and wiser now, and may reconsider kicking his ass, but as broke as I was, as much as I tried to help, and for him to rip me off, pawn it, and lie, I was pissed enough my youthful indignation took over.

I got the guitar back, and the pawn shop was pissed that they lost out on what they gave him, and were forced to pursue it with him.

Lesson to us all on lending gear.

Bob
That's one thing I've been told by guitar techs and other guitar players about lending someone your guitar which you never do but if you're Joe Bonamassa and you asked Norman Rare guitars store owner to let you borrow a couple vintage instruments would they say no who knows !? But really it's like lending money to a friend then had to track them down and ask them to give you the money back. I seen my parents been through that ordeal I think now a days friends is a loose term, long as you have your intimate partner you don't need friends.

DA72

Well with electric guitars and the seller not offering returns, any guitar over $400-$500 I find no problem getting a bit microscopic, particularly about playability and functionality. High
frets, neck dead spots, inability to achieve acceptable action, noisy pu selector switch,many strings binding at the nut,etc. You get what you pay for, but you must answer buyer’s inquiries honestly if there are no returns. You wouldn’t believe some of the garbage I’ve received and sent back, even for $1000 guitars. If a seller just says, and it’s happened to me, It’s in good shape, no details, I pass.
With that being said on used gears as I'm near that senior age I think I will just pay for a brand new or a store demo type music gears that is not used , life is too short to buy a crappy music gear then had to resell it just too much hassle I rarely find used guitars that is in pristine condition as it was described by the seller, the old saying goes you get what you paid for.

DA72

That’s why I sell on eBay and Reverb. Everyone gets the same pictures, detailed description and price. Yes, the fees suck but there is less aggravation and more consistency.
That's the only way to get any decent profits for your used gears if you resell it to a store like the Guitar Center they will give you 20% of what they think your used gear is worth which is basically zero that you're giving it to them for free

Last edited:

DA72

Yup, totally feel your pain. I only sold one guitar, but trying to sell it via Craigslist or Facebook was a complete pain.
CL only gave me one person who low-balled me at 1/3 less than I asked. Facebook gave me lots of interested people who were eager to trade, and lots who claimed they wanted to buy, but no one who was actually willing to show up and buy it. One guy sent me a picture of his dozen guitars and said he wanted to trade, and when I finally relented and asked what he was offering, his offer was Star Wars collectibles he had in the garage...

But it's equally frustrating as a buyer. I found a local guy selling a guitar, arranged to meet at his house and that I'd text him for the address that morning. The morning comes, I text, and nothing. If you changed your mind about selling the guitar, just say so l. I also had two people selling an amp ghost me after I said that I wanted to plug in the amp to confirm that it works - I don't think that's an unreasonable request.
These experiences you described is identical to what happened when you joined a online dating website you get lot of hits but no interested in meeting for date or even replies and most of the time they lived too far from you and yes some ghosting as well

RicOkc

I've experienced so many unusual questions trying to sell a guitar on CL. Of course no buyer! Tons of weird questions that I'd never experienced before when selling an instrument.

I finally added "Read the complete Ad before contacting". Funny how these people can't comprehend basic English.

The latest one asked me to post a picture of the Gibson OHSC and paperwork! Like they've never seen those before?

The asking price was more than fair compared to the few postings for the same instrument I'd found online.

There have been three people so far that said they were interested, sent contact info., location and nothing.

Just a load of "Tire Kickers". I decided I'd rather keep it than deal with these people.

Goldie Glocks

One thing I've learned over the years, Lots of questions, typically leads me to think they won't be buying.

Seems those who are serious have already researched and know what they are looking for and what it's worth.
110%. I've never had a person buy from me that is the 'ask a lot of questions' type. Ever. They will always end up ghosting me or will toss a low ball offer.

Everytime I buy gear, I already know what it is and what I'm willing to pay for it. It makes it much easier for me and the seller.

BigDiceBuddha

Silver Supporting Member
I had sold a first year reissued Jim Dunlap Vibroverb pedal mint condition in nice red and chrome color for $100 and the buyer even forgot to pay for it so I had email to remind him the payment and I think I should've kept it , now whats that original big muff pedal selling for $900 does it really worth that much ? I think if you valued the pedal for personal worth you should never sell it unless it's over a grand then some
Yeah... this was an offer for $7000. Like I said, it had to be an offer I couldn’t refuse. This was.

Trending Topics