Buyers Backing Down

JoeYello

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure if this was mentioned... I find when you start drinking beer (or whatever) and get tipsy, you get into the buying mode and want more gear... and then when you sober up, you have a change of heart. The guitar, amp or pedal seemed like a much better idea at the time.
This is very true and I suspect it’s a factor in many a tire kickers inquires.

twoheadedboy

It’s very frustrating when buyers back down after you take many pictures, describe the item and answer numerous emails. Most of the time they just ignore you and go away. It would be nice if they told you they had a change of heart, allowing you to move on. I have a friend who beats me down, negotiates price and arranges for pickup and then goes away......and hides for a while.

Frustrating.
Lots of people are addicted to chasing gear. They know they shouldn't buy it, and they have enough self control to avoid doing that, but the chasing is free, so they still do that without following through. I have been guilty of that in the past.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I just had someone send me something like 20 emails over a guitar asking all manner of questions and wanting photos of the case, various measurements taking and so on, then offered me 2/3rds the asking price. I said thanks but I can't go anywhere near that low and he went up by some pocket change, at which point I stopped answering. I'm usually of the mentality I don't mind putting the work in to sell something but I do get frustrated with stuff like that.

In the OP's case if someone did that to me more than once it would be 'tell you what, come show me the cash and then you can look the guitar over and we'll talk'. Definitely once bitten, twice shy with this stuff.

Space Jazzer

Not sure if this was mentioned... I find when you start drinking beer (or whatever) and get tipsy, you get into the buying mode and want more gear... and then when you sober up, you have a change of heart. The guitar, amp or pedal seemed like a much better idea at the time.
If the never-to-be buyer could just inform you that this is what happened, it would be less annoying than the complete radio silence that often occurs. Annoying, sure. But at least you know what happened.

deepcove17

It’s very frustrating when buyers back down after you take many pictures, describe the item and answer numerous emails. Most of the time they just ignore you and go away. It would be nice if they told you they had a change of heart, allowing you to move on. I have a friend who beats me down, negotiates price and arranges for pickup and then goes away......and hides for a while.

Frustrating.
I have noticed this trend with the advent of the internet and a `free` platform to buy and sell. Back when a person had to for example pay to place an add in a Buy & Sell and likewise a prospective purchaser had to purchase the publication it seemed there were a lot less time wasters.....

Watchguy26

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, ghosting sucks.

This is not in stone, but based on having bought sold and traded a ton of gear in the last 20+ years, if after 2-3 questions the potential buyer doesn't start talking money there's strong odds they're kicking tires.

dazco

It's par for the course in craigslist. I have had 3 or 4 like that in a row b4 someone actually bought it. Happens all the time, even when they seem super enthusiastic about it. I've even had guys beg me not to sell it before they can come over the next day and the next day they disappear off the face of the earth.

Frustrating.
That's not a friend, that's an a-hole. One thing I've learned from years of selling stuff is that the typical actual sale with a legit buyer is fast, simple, and straightforward. Anyone who tried to play 21 questions, asked for 10 additional pics, etc. ended up either ghosting the day they were supposed to meet or just never setting up a time to meet to begin with...so I've stopped entertaining people like that entirely and I don't respond to those sorts of messages at all anymore. These are all local sales, and I post plenty of pics and a very detailed description that tackles pretty much any reasonable question someone can ask, so there really isn't anything else needed to make a decision.

If you can't decide if you want the guitar based on 8-10 hi-res photos taken from all angles (full front, full back, close up front, close up back, fretboard, back of neck, headstock, back of headstock, etc) and a two paragraph detailed description, you don't want it...especially given that this is local pickup, so you always have the option when you see it to change your mind and go home without it. I meet a few blocks from my house so if that does happen (has happened maybe twice in the last 20 years) I just walk on home with the guitar having wasted 5-6 minutes max.

I've sold 5 guitars over the last couple of weeks, with each one things went basically like this:

Verify availability of guitar--> agree on price --> set up time to meet --> guitar sold.

That's how it should be.

bbsomm

Silver Supporting Member
I had a reverb buyer once, contact me to correct my ad, telling me that the vintage guitar for several thousand dollars was not exactly the model i said it was, we went round and round, and then he asked me to take neck measurements with a digital caliper. after all this, I sent HIM an offer for a couple hundred off the asking price just to try and get the deal done. and here was his response

'oh, i don't have that kind of money, i'm only 13!"

we had a polite conversation about telling people that important piece of information up front, and more often than not, they will be happy to help you learn about various vintage instruments. but if I wasn't feeling pretty chill that day, I can see where that would have gone south real fast.

Whats4dessert

This. I also think there's a legion of people out there who make a hobby out of asking inane questions (whose answers are usually included in the seller's description) and wasting their time and mine.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
'oh, i don't have that kind of money, i'm only 13!"
And completely in violation of Reverb's terms:
Reverb's services are available only to, and may only be used by, individuals who are 18 years of age and older who can form legally binding contracts. You represent and warrant that you are at least 18 years old and that all registration information you submit is accurate and truthful.
You shoulda reported tha punk!!!

Suave Eddie

Frustrating.
How far away does this "friend" live so that he can't see the guitar in person? I don't understand why he needs so many detailed photos.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Just imagine how retailers feel about all the tire-kickers who waste their time and devalue their inventory every dingle day.

original6dan

Silver Supporting Member
Me on Reverb: Hey, that's a cool item, looks good, and I have the money [initiates and completes purchase all in one sitting]

Seller on Reverb: thank god, I was fielding questions from 3 others simultaneously and the whole thing was going south fast

I tend not to dick around with making offers... just do or don't. If it's something that appears to be in the condition described and I really want it for the money they're asking, it's go time. Otherwise, I patiently wait for another opportunity. Inopportune timing I can tolerate. I just really don't want to be bothered as a seller (so far, I've had the luxury of never HAVING to sell something) so I don't want to bother others as a buyer.

JoeYello

Silver Supporting Member
How far away does this "friend" live so that he can't see the guitar in person? I don't understand why he needs so many detailed photos.
Exactly.....I have 2 of what he was interested in and he’s played the other one. They are the exact same guitar except for color. He knows the instrument which makes me shake my head when he questions things.

jackaroo

By in large, most people who sell used gear are charging too much. Used gear is pretty risky to buy. Especially without getting to try it first. So as a seller I try to first and foremost price it right.

I don’t blame anyone for asking for whatever it takes to make them feel comfortable. If they back out...I guess I didn’t do my job right or it wasn’t priced attractively enough. I understand. I don’t want to take a risk on an item without a return policy at only a small discount from new.

I’ve played many more crappy 5,000 dollar guitars than great ones. So the more expensive an item is, the more of a discount I’d want and expect to have to give. Folks that try to sell LPs for 500 less than new are dreaming imho.

That said...it’s painful to have to take the time to interact with potential buyers and have them walk away without explanation. But it’s just the way of the world. They don’t owe me an explanation as to why they backed out.

Nice things, when priced right go fast. When I sell gear...that’s how I do it. I’d rather lose a little money than a lot of time dealing with tire kickers. Though usually, I’m happy to meet forum brothers and get to know them. Sale or no sale...I’m not taking anything personally. I’ve had to back off from time to time myself so I try to be level headed.

COYS

I know that there are all sorts here on TGP, but for me, the more the person kicks the tires and asks super-duper detailed questions, the less I want to deal with them-- in fact I assume they won't buy what I'm selling.
After the first question (or round of questions), every further round of questions reduces the chances the person will buy, and increases the chances that they will be a problem after the sale.

For me, I lose interest in the endless messages after the first one or two. They are almost always wasting your time.

Trending Topics