Buyers Backing Down

COYS

One thing I've learned over the years, Lots of questions, typically leads me to think they won't be buying.

Seems those who are serious have already researched and know what they are looking for and what it's worth.
Absolutely. The kind of people I want to sell to already know what they want. I'm not a guitar salesman. If you want to now some inane detail about the specs of an American Strat or whatever, Google is your friend.

The people who ask that are the kind who try to return it because they "didn't realize" that it had X radius or Y nut width.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Adopt this policy:
If someone asks you to go out of your way to do something to sell your gear ask them for a $40 non-refundable deposit that will be applied to the purchase price when they buy.

Caretaker

Platinum Supporting Member
I usually have around 7 people ask LOTS of questions on any given guitar I have for sale before it sells, and rarely to any of them.
I have 3 listed now, and have a total of 18 people asking questions and for photos.
So I guess I SHOULD be selling something soon.
LOL

rickt

No money, no merchandise. The deal isn't done until merchandise AND money changes hands. Just tell its still for sale until you get the money.

AprioriMark

Gold Supporting Member
People are just weird. I know I've ghosted people (mostly unintentionally) who weren't reasonable and not worth my time to reply to. I live life by the "is this worth my energy right now" standard, and sometimes intend to come back to it and don't end up doing that. I'm also quite sure that I've been a jerk a time or three without meaning to. Sorry to you folks out there in the ether.

On the other hand, there was a guy here locally who had a very specific guitar posted on CL/offer up, and I offered him his asking price. I was honest with him that I didn't want to spend the money until a sale cleared on Monday (I think it was a friday or Saturday) and asked when after that I could come check it out. He said he'd get back to me and didn't. I checked in again on Monda . Then the next weekend, then another week later...

Then a month later I saw a post he made here on TGP about how difficult it was to sell that guitar and how he took a bath on shipping... after dropping his price 200 bucks from what I still had set aside for that guitar. I'm in the same damned town, sheesh. All you had to do was follow through. The only reason this irks me is that I still don't have this guitar, which is a glaring hole in my collection.

So yeah, people are weird. All of us. OP, I would tell your frenemy that you won't sell him anything and that he's being a lame friend.

-Mark

Caretaker

Well, just think of the seven different conversations as part of your selling cost.

In my experience, LOTS of dialogue occurs before most transactions. And both parties are likely better informed and less surprised in the end.

There's been a number of times I've gone ahead with a purchase after asking several detailed questions... as well as after returning to the listing several days or weeks later. Buyers can change their mind for any number of reasons, but you never assume they're no longer interested.
Usually the one who ends up buying it sends me a legit offer that I accept and they pay me.
Usually no more than 2 or 3 messages and almost always the same day.

Doug's Tubes

It’s very frustrating when buyers back down after you take many pictures, describe the item and answer numerous emails. Most of the time they just ignore you and go away. It would be nice if they told you they had a change of heart, allowing you to move on. I have a friend who beats me down, negotiates price and arranges for pickup and then goes away......and hides for a while.

Frustrating.
This reminds me of another situation.......

El Pelo

Silver Supporting Member
I get this A LOT on Facebook Market Place and Reverb. Lots of pics, a million questions and then ghost silent.

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
Tire kickers don’t bother me. It’s part of sales. What irks me is buyers who agree to a deal then back out...has only happened twice thankfully and I’m fairly active on the emporiums.

cjjcjj

It’s very frustrating when buyers back down after you take many pictures, describe the item and answer numerous emails. Most of the time they just ignore you and go away. It would be nice if they told you they had a change of heart, allowing you to move on. I have a friend who beats me down, negotiates price and arranges for pickup and then goes away......and hides for a while.

Frustrating.
Sounds just like like Tinder (so I've heard) lol :D

natebernstein

I know this topic comes up a lot here. I'm someone who does like to ask a fair amount of questions when I'm seriously shopping for an expensive instrument or amp (especially if it's used). But it's almost always when I've pretty much made up my mind I'm about to buy something. I may wind up asking several sellers detailed questions about similar or identical items, only to buy one of them.

Good example is recently I picked up a used Martin 00-18. I'd seen an 00-28 first and asked a bunch of questions about it. Even made an offer or two that the seller declined. In the middle of this the 00-18 popped up. That model already is substantially cheaper than the -28 (hog instead of rosewood, etc.). I already have several rosewood acoustics and the more I'd read up on the -18 the more I got to thinking I might like that as an alternative. Plus the -18 was very attractively priced. So I apologetically let the -28 seller know I'd had a change of heart, asked him to reject the outstanding offer I had on the guitar (I had a feeling he was going to do that anyway or at least counter), which he very kindly did, and wished him luck with his sale. Then I bought the -18, after a bit of negotiation.

I've followed a similar, if not identical, pattern on several other purchases via Reverb. I can understand that some folks are simply window shopping, with no intent to buy, and it's a nuisance for sellers. There are a bunch of methods, in this thread and others, for dealing with such people. But that doesn't mean serious buyers don't have a right to ask a bunch of detailed questions and then choose another item over yours.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
Years ago, when I was in the car business, we called them "Strokes" or "Strokers" and had an accompanying motion which... I'll leave to your imaginations. Those guys who want to look, even test drive, multiple cars, sometimes over a couple years, and still have never bought anything. Or, a new model comes out and they show up immediately to look, check out and test drive it, when you know they can't or won't buy.

Anyway, the pics thing is dependent on the item. I had a guy a couple years ago ask for internal pics of a Barber pedal. I laughed and told him it was a work of art inside, probably the cleanest builds he'd ever see, and when he kept asking, I told him it was already packed to ship. But, if I were selling a used PRS, or say an old hand wired tube amp, I'd take multiple, detailed pics including internals before even listing it. A stock, one year old Mesa amp... sorry, I'm not taking it apart to take pics of the inside for you.

I had a guy here a couple years ago that I actually thought was trolling me, until I found out he did the same to others as well, because it seemed like I'd list a guitar, he was interested. A month later I'd list an amp, and he was interested. One time even asking about two very different amps that I had listed at the same time. And ALWAYS wanting more pics, internal pics, and always days of back and forth answering questions, etc. Twice he asked me to hold things til he could get the money together. This went on for months every time I'd list something.

Then another guy here told he he was doing the same thing to him. Interested in every listing, more pics, lots of questions, etc. and never bought any of it. The next time he inquired, I told him to send me a screenshot of his paypal balance, and if he didn't have enough in there to buy the amp I would answer no further questions, but if he did, I'd answer all of them. That was the last time I ever heard from him. :cool:

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
Every question asked is also an opportunity to sell the guitar. I find if someone asks a lot of questions that I'm usually going to get a sale. Some questions ask for detailed information I hadn't thought to put in the listing (weight, neck measurements, fret measurements).

Powderfinger

Seems like I've had more of this lately. Guys saying "I'll take it!" you send pp info and never hear from them again.

The other day I had a guy who came with one red flag after another--a low offer followed by a refusal to meet in the middle, after I agreed to the price reluctantly a ton of detailed questions, a question that was answered in the ad itself, asked me for a video of me playing the guitar (which I made and sent), followed by another question and then, the piece de resistance, an offer of $50 less than the agreed upon price. Would rather sell to somebody else for less at that point. Can see nothing but trouble.

sunking101

I'll ask a seller to detail every ding and scratch to me. They often can't be bothered or come back to me with a half-assed reply that doesn't fully answer my question. This thing works both ways.

Trending Topics