Buyers Backing Down

Silent Sound

Never sell gear to friends. I've done it many, many times. Only a handful of times have I not regretted it for one reason or another.

And I've found the people who ask the most questions or want you to do the most stuff presale, almost never close the deal. I usually answer one question (or more if they're good ones), maybe take one or two more photos, and then ignore them after that. The guys who actually are interested in buying it, are the guys who can't wait to pay for it so that no one else gets it first.

aynirar27

Preferred Senior Member
Platinum Supporting Member
My “friend” has done this several times. He always suggests that I leave the guitar with him for a while until he has the money together. That’s a clue.....getting the money together.....translation: I can’t afford it.
sounds like one of my “friends”. Asking a million questions, constantly trying to negotiate until I accepted a crappy offer just so I didn’t have to deal with him anymore haha.

I made the almost 2 hour drive to his place, where he tells me he doesn’t have the cash anyways because he couldn’t sell an amp he was hoping to move quickly.

In a room full of killer gear he tried offering me a bunch of garbage for trades instead. I definitely lost his number after that

Masterglazier

Silver Supporting Member
Strongly disagree with some of the comments above for these simple reasons.

I like to be upfront and accommodating. I want people to ask for detailed info & photo's. I actually want to have a phone conversation before a sale, buying or selling. Even if we have already had e mail, and text correspondence. And build a relationship based on trust. I like to provide anything that they ask for because that is what GOOD salesmanship is about. And if in the end they do not buy an item that is totally acceptable. You as a seller are not entitled to a sale! You as a seller are offering something they are not 100% sure about. As a buyer they have a right to inquire about the product. It is important to remember the OP DOES NOT KNOW YOU! And dependent on you being forthcoming.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
I made the almost 2 hour drive to his place, where he tells me he doesn’t have the cash anyways because he couldn’t sell an amp he was hoping to move quickly.
He did it for the nookie, man..... THE NOOKIE!!!
You just weren't pickin' up what he was layin' down! :banana

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
It’s very frustrating when buyers back down after you take many pictures, describe the item and answer numerous emails. Most of the time they just ignore you and go away. It would be nice if they told you they had a change of heart, allowing you to move on. I have a friend who beats me down, negotiates price and arranges for pickup and then goes away......and hides for a while.

Frustrating.
Would this be similar to someone "backing out" of a deal?

Chris Scott

I know that there are all sorts here on TGP, but for me, the more the person kicks the tires and asks super-duper detailed questions, the less I want to deal with them-- in fact I assume they won't buy what I'm selling.

There does seem to be an inverse proportion thing going on with this buyer/seller paradigm...it's also that the less they ask (past the obvious basic stuff), the more likely they're gonna cough up.

Twangmeister

Gold Supporting Member
Admittedly, I still have one foot in the 20th century, but I've been ghosted a few times and it bugs me, especially if I've sent detailed information and photos. I understand that these are tools we're buying and selling, but a little simple courtesy is never a bad thing. We can all use good karma.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
I'll ask a seller to detail every ding and scratch to me. They often can't be bothered or come back to me with a half-assed reply that doesn't fully answer my question. This thing works both ways.
That is not only to be expected, but is just plain dishonest to hide and shady if they even attempt to not tell you and show you. Even on a pedal, pics and notes on any scratches or marks should be included unless it's a cheap item. Gut shots of a two year old Mesa Mini Recto though, when you have front, back and side pics in the ad... nah.

scott

Silver Supporting Member
I usually try to detail the hell out of the listing with weight, neck size/shape, radius, all the specs I can think of and tons of pictures. That usually weeds out a lot of the riff raff but not always.
Usually though it's enough to keep things streamlined.

Brooks

I think he's talking about the guy who wants super detailed "extra" pictures for his own personal approval. Pickguard off, wiring job close ups on fuzz pedals, etc.. I hate that guy.
I just tell those guys I'm not going to do that, and that if they are that concerned about minute details they need to buy new.

sunking101

That is not only to be expected, but is just plain dishonest to hide and shady if they even attempt to not tell you and show you. Even on a pedal, pics and notes on any scratches or marks should be included unless it's a cheap item. Gut shots of a two year old Mesa Mini Recto though, when you have front, back and side pics in the ad... nah.
I should have said that I'm oniy ever interested in near-mint used gear so when I ask them to detail every mark I'm not expecting them to come back to me with much if anything.

When you're not there to see the goods in person it's only fair that they give you a thorough description, with photos of any issues. You'd be surprised how many sellers can't be bothered and just reply with "there are a few marks here and there but nothing to worry about". Ahem, I'll be the judge of that thankyou!

CaptNasty

Guitar Geek
Double Platinum Member
Strongly disagree with some of the comments above for these simple reasons.

I like to be upfront and accommodating. I want people to ask for detailed info & photo's. I actually want to have a phone conversation before a sale, buying or selling. Even if we have already had e mail, and text correspondence. And build a relationship based on trust. I like to provide anything that they ask for because that is what GOOD salesmanship is about. And if in the end they do not buy an item that is totally acceptable. You as a seller are not entitled to a sale! You as a seller are offering something they are not 100% sure about. As a buyer they have a right to inquire about the product. It is important to remember the OP DOES NOT KNOW YOU! And dependent on you being forthcoming.
I agree with you. I also think the OPs situation is very different from what some of the people who have weighed in are saying. The OPs “friend” was ridiculous.

If sellers with this dislike of “tire kickers” do not think that their disdain comes through, they are mistaken. If you start off stand offish, confrontational, etc it sets the tone for the entire transaction and makes the person less likely to purchase. Self. Fulfilling. Prophecy.

Anyone considered that perhaps people walk because it is your price that is ridiculous? Or maybe your “excellent” condition Strat is not so excellent? Or maybe your listing and pics aren’t as thorough as you think they are. Unrealistic expectations.

Anyone considered that these buyers don’t know you any more than you know them? They don’t know if you are a scammer. They are trying to get a comfort level and when you come off $hitty, you damage the budding and short lived relationship.

People on forums like this are very quick to point out that it is the buyers responsibility to know what they are buying. If someone does a bad buy, some of the very people on this thread who are are so intolerant of buyers performing diligence would be the ones who would castigate the poor soul for being stupid enough to buy something without doing their homework. Cognitive dissonance. It is a Beeatch.

Here is an idea: a buyer is not obligated to buy your listing. If you are too busy yelling at clouds to be bothered with people doing pre-sale diligence then you have no business listing your items. Take it to GC and sell it hassle free.

What? You don’t want to take a 40% bath on your gear at GC? You want top dollar for your gear? Then you should be prepared to work for it and that means answering some freakin’ questions.

Last edited:

bettset

Your friend sounds like a possible codependent in this gear love/hate relationship! :D

Advice: tell him nothing is for sale anymore --EVER!-- and then sit back and enjoy as he starts offering you lots more than you originally agreed to!

:cool:
pretty good advice. i just let it go when someone doesn't follow up after i give more info and stuff. i take plenty of pictures to start and describe what i have so there's no surprises. sometimes the questions are too novice if that makes sense........like they want to talk about more than they know. gives me an idea where their level may be. and that's fine. someone eventually comes along :munch

Arcadia

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I have a friend who keeps telling me he wants to buy my old mountain bike, hold it for him, he'll have the cash next week. It's been about five weeks. Still insists he wants it, blah blah blah. I'm offering a great price to him, at least $600 less than it's worth. If he doesn't buy it this weekend I'm selling it. My kindness only extends so far. So yeah I feel ya.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
It’s very frustrating when buyers back down after you take many pictures, describe the item and answer numerous emails. Most of the time they just ignore you and go away. It would be nice if they told you they had a change of heart, allowing you to move on. I have a friend who beats me down, negotiates price and arranges for pickup and then goes away......and hides for a while.

Frustrating.
Then, he's not much of a friend, is he? I would bid him farewell. But yes, it is frustrating. :mad:

Trending Topics