buyers remorse

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by prs1999, Feb 3, 2015.

1. prs1999

prs1999 Silver Supporting Member

A recent transaction has become a problem
    I sold a amp to a member here who seems to not like what the amp sounds like.
    In numerous PM's back and forth he has said his technique wasn't on par
    to the amp(plexi style boutique build) but has gotten good tones when he added pedals in front. He said "maybe this amp " just wasn't what he thought it was.

NOW,he claims,after he already told me he got decent tones from it,that there is something wrong with the amp and he wants to send it back.

I did NOT offer any type of "money back" guarantee. He also stated the amp was packed perfect ,no damage whatsoever ,but thinks he's sending it back and receiving a refund. Or he's disputing it through PayPal.

I know we have all heard these stories before,but this really sounds like "buyers remorse".

Thoughts?

2. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Tough call. This happened to me once. In my case, I asked the buyer to cover all the shipping costs and paypal fees. Maybe the buyer will realize HIS error and flip the amp and leave you alone...

4. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

Well, if there's something wrong with the amp, he should be able to tell you what that something is. If there truly is an issue, then you'd probably do best to get it back and issue a refund. Also, file a claim with the shipping institution.

If the amp is fully functional with no issues and he just doesn't like it for whatever reason, that's his problem.

5. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Member

He needs to resell it himself. Period. This is where being a seller is getting tricky and ridiculous. Really what you almost have to do is before selling bring the amp for a quick once over by a tech, take photos of the service receipt. Describe and photograph the amp meticulously to prove correct condition. Make a very brief video showing the tones mostly to show its 100% working with no issues. Photograph your packing job prior to shipment and emphasize no returns. If there are any issues a shipping claim will need to be filed. This way you actually have hard evidence that the buyer is making up an issue with the amp.

Otherwise it's quite likely the buyer will win this dispute. They side with the buyer almost without fail. Good luck.

6. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Personally if I buy an amp from someone and don't like the tone I feel it's my responsibility to resell the amp. Not liking the tone is no excuse to return a amp, imho.

7. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

This is why I only sell or buy used gear locally. If I'm selling, they can try it out and make a deal on it "As Is" and that's the end of it.
    If I'm buying, my cash is ready and I make the best deal I can knowing the sale is final.

Remember...cash talks, bullsh*t walks.

8. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

i know its not totally analogous....but i purchased an item using paypal. there was an issue with it when it arrived.

the process, as stipulated by ppal, was that i had to get the issue independently identied/assessed - and once i did, then they worked with the seller to get my refund.

unless things have changed, i dont think the buyer can just claim there is an issue and expect the refund - he has to prove it.

9. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

this^^^

10. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

i dont mean to defend the buyer....BUT

it IS possible that he didnt like the amp (without the pedal) because there IS an issue with it (i.e. maybe thats why he didnt like what it was doing in the first place vs. it being remorse).

of course, statements like 'too much amp for me' dont help support the argument

11. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Tough ****. It's his now. He's back peddling. Tell him to contact me. Maybe I'll buy it. I love plexi style amps!

Seriously I might be interested and end this problem.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  12. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

Yeah this is BS, unfortunately PayPal puts the buyer in the drivers seat and all the authority lies with him.

13. losergeek

losergeek Member

There's very little that can be really wrong with an amp to affect the tone that doesn't otherwise affect other symptoms like overall volume or crackling, etc.....saying the 'tone isn't right' is not a description of a problem, it's a description of a user.

If he has a problem and you want to go the extra mile tell him to take it to a tech and get a diagnosis/estimate but just saying 'it doesn't sound right' isn't a valid complaint.

14. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I got stuck with something like this a few years ago, after I had the stance of not accepting it back because he couldn't prove that anything was wrong, he eventually shipped it back and did the reverse charge on his credit card...and he won despite all the detail and information that I provided to my card company to fight the chargeback. Of course when the amp arrived it was whisper quiet and sounded great. I did find another buyer who was happy with it and never complained about it.

Sometimes there are just $hitty people who have buyer's remorse, good luck to the OP.

15. playthecray

playthecray Member

I fully agree. It is the buyer's responsibility to understand the product details of the purchased item.

16. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Member

...just as it is the sellers responsibility to very accurately and fully describe the amps condition, approximate tube life, last time biased/looked at by a tech and so on.

If there is a scratchy pot...say so. If the standby switch pops loud then say so. Otherwise you leave yourself open to a claim.

17. demea26

demea26 Member

This is correct. I had a similar situation in selling an amp that I knew was 100% perfect when packing and shipping it. I also had numerous emails back and forth stating that all sales are final even if the amp arrives trashed from shipping. Unfortunately the amp was 'claimed' to be DOA and not working out of the box upon arrival although the buyer had asked me numerous times about how to connect an amp to a cabinet, what Ohms to use, can I use an instrument cable to connect the head to the cab, etc.

I even offered for him to take it to a tech to see whats wrong with it and I'd refund the difference for the repair. Nope He opened a claim with PP and they didn't even want to see my emails or listen to my side. Judgement to the plaintiff and very much BS indeed.

Good luck man

18. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

This, exactly. If there's a legitimate technical issue with the amp that wasn't stated up front, or if something was misrepresented, that's on the seller to make it right. If the amp performs as stated and the buyer just doesn't like the tone? Well, that's all on the buyer, as it's his amp now. He's free to flip it, or learn to love it, or stash it in his attic.

The advantage of buying amps on TGP is that there are no fees to the seller (apart from whatever Paypal may charge), so no fees get passed back to the buyer, and the seller can net the same amount from a lower sale price, benefitting both buyer and seller. The flipside of this arrangement is that both parties are wholly responsible for their end of the sale: sellers must describe their items completely and honestly so no one is surprised, but as long as the items perform and look as described, the buyers must accept them. That's built into the social contract when you do business without a middleman or third-party arbitrator.

If you aren't willing to do business on those terms, you shouldn't be buying stuff on the TGP emporium, especially not expensive things like amplifiers and guitars. Go to a retail store or ebay, they'll let you return things for no reason at all, but you'll pay them for that privilege in fees, service charges, and middleman profit.

My two cents...

19. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

Make sure to give a very poor review for the transaction so that other TGPers can avoid doing business with this individual. That's just not cool. If they think something is wrong with the amp, they should have it checked.

20. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

if there is something wrong with it he should just send it to a tech and let the seller pay for that.
    A tech that both buyer and seller agree upon.

If the amp has an issue, it is resolved, if it doesn't then it the buyer pays for the tech's time and sells it again.

Not liking an amp is not the reason to send it back unless the seller is guitar center.